Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

girl killed on 16

5 posters

Go down

girl killed on 16 Empty girl killed on 16

Post  WHL Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 am

Nobody posted anything about the girl that got killed in a car accident. What a shame.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

girl killed on 16 Empty Re: girl killed on 16

Post  fshnski Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:15 am

It's hard to understand why that road is so dangerous. It's a wide road with no compromise of vision. It's got rumble strips on the sides and in the center. Yet it has been the scene of multiple terrible accidents. It is marked well and warns people to turn on their lights while traveling this dangerous section. It has speed limits along the whole road but with all these rules and regulations accidents still happen. Maybe we need more regulations on that road.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Speed was likely a factor.

If you don't think you're going "fast-enough", just roll down your windows.

Suspect 

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:38 pm

News Hawk wrote:Speed was likely a factor.

If you don't think you're going "fast-enough", just roll down your windows.

Suspect 

But the speed limit is the rule. I don't think that was the cause.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:21 pm

I agree with you fsh. I have wondered the same. But don't you suppose it might have still had a little ice on it then? I forget the time of the accident if it said.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

girl killed on 16 Empty Fund this in the UL

Post  fshnski Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Separate traffic accidents on icy roads Saturday left a Massachusetts teenager dead and hundreds of homes and businesses without power. Temperatures later surged into the 50s in the state's southern tier.

"It's like bumper cars out there this morning," Manchester police Sgt. Craig Russo said. "People sliding everywhere."

A two-vehicle crash on Route 16 in Wakefield killed a 16-year-old girl, Julia Vanella of Malden, Mass., and sent four others to the hospital, according to Wakefield Police Chief Ken Fifield
.Fifield said police were looking into the drivers' actions, but icy road conditions were a factor in the mid-morning crash.

"Conditions were very slick and very treacherous," he said.
Temperatures varied across the state, with many areas seeing fog. Thermometers eclipsed the 50-degree mark by mid-afternoon in Manchester and Portsmouth, while Concord was stuck at 32 degrees and Berlin at 44 degrees.

The National Weather Service predicted 1 to 2 inches of rain would fall through Sunday and posted a flood watch statewide.

"The heavy rainfall and mild temperatures may lead to ice jams, which could cause flooding," the Weather Service said. "The threat of ice jams will continue into Sunday as temperatures will remain above freezing."

Flooding also was possible in urban and poor-drainage areas.Sunday's temperatures were forecast to hit about 40 in Berlin and the mid-40s in the southern tier.But Saturday morning, motorists in many locales faced slick roads.

In Weare, a vehicle snapped a telephone pole about 6:15 a.m. on Deering Center Road. Electrical wires and a section of pole landed on the vehicle, but the driver was not hurt. The accident knocked out power to 422 Public Service of New Hampshire customers for hours, according to the utility's website.

In Plymouth, a town sanding truck hit two propane tanks on Loon Lake Road about 4 p.m. Saturday after the driver lost control on icy conditions, said firefighter Jeremy Bonan. The tanks were not damaged, but sheared lines from the tanks to the home caused a leak, he said.

"The road was glare ice," he said.

The truck driver, whose name was not available, was taken to Speare Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Bonan said. Nobody was at the home at the time of the accident, he said.State Transportation Department spokesman Bill Boynton cited "challenging conditions this morning, with freezing rain and below freezing ground temperatures."

The department has spent nearly $21 million on winter road maintenance this season, Boynton said.The winter season is 40 percent over, and the state has spent 49.7 percent of its anticipated $42 million budget, he said. Crews have used about 78,000 tons of salt, about 51 percent of its stored supply.Freezing-rain advisories blanketed the state Saturday morning, warning drivers. Authorities had lowered the speed limit to 45 mph on Interstate 93 and the F.E. Everett Turnpike.

Russo said there were probably at least a dozen accidents in Manchester between 5 and 9 a.m.In the Wakefield crash, Fifield said, lanes in both directions of Route 16 were closed for a couple of hours from Exit 18 to the traffic lights at the Route 16/Route 125 intersection in Union following the crash, reported at 9:44 a.m.

Julia Vanella was seated in the car's front passenger seat, Fifield said. Her mother, Lisa Vanella, was driving, and Julia's 6-year-old sister was seated in the back seat, Fifield said. The teenager was pronounced dead at the accident scene. The eldest Vanella and her younger daughter suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were treated at Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester and released.

The family was headed north to North Conway when, during rainy and icy road conditions, the driver lost control and encroached into the southbound lane sideways, Fifield said. The vehicle was broadsided by a 2012 Jeep Liberty driven by Penny Cotreau, 41, of Wakefield, Fifield said.A passenger in the Cotreau vehicle, Wesley Huckins, no age available, suffered a serious injury and was being treated at Frisbie Memorial Hospital. Cotreau was treated at the hospital and released.The crash occurred in a section of roadway where passing was permitted, about 100 feet north of the Milton town line.Several other weather-related accidents that were less serious were reported throughout Wakefield.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, see slick and treacherous.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 pm

It's tremendously slippery around the house. I go out and about with a ski pole.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:33 pm

We have had a difficult time this winter with snow, freezing rain and ice build-up. The highway crews are finding it difficult to clear the roads when the air gets above freezing and the ground is still below freezing and then it rains. IMO they are doing the best they can.
People need to get somewhere and it has been difficult with these conditions. I can't say I blame the drivers 100% because they haven't seen conditions like this for a long time.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

girl killed on 16 Empty The link, with photos...

Post  News Hawk Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:34 am

Achigan wrote:We have had a difficult time this winter with snow, freezing rain and ice build-up.  The highway crews are finding it difficult to clear the roads when the air gets above freezing and the ground is still below freezing and then it rains.  IMO they are doing the best they can.
People need to get somewhere and it has been difficult with these conditions.  I can't say I blame the drivers 100% because they haven't seen conditions like this for a long time.

I also believe that the public works departments throughout the state are doing their best, but people usually drive too fast in this weather. That's why we see multi car pileups every year. I wonder if the deceased in this accident had her seatbelt on?
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 am

News Buzzard wrote:"...I wonder if the deceased in this accident had her seatbelt on...?

A view of the windshield would determine that.

Cool 

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:43 am

The windshield wasn't visible in the WMUR shot of the scene. The other vehicle was peeled open by the rescue workers to free the occupants so it made the damage look much worse than it was, but it still looked like the vehicles were traveling at a pretty good speed at the time of impact, too fast for the conditions I think.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am

There is nothing worse than ice. I don't know how bad 16 was and I don't supposed it was totally ice covered but they might have hit a patch. People do go way too fast in bad weather.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:51 am

WHL wrote:There is nothing worse than ice.  I don't know how bad 16 was and I don't supposed it was totally ice covered but they might have hit a patch.  People do go way too fast in bad weather.

Over correcting while you start to slide will get you in trouble every time. It's OK if you are alone on the highway, but if another vehicle is in your path then things change drastically. I don't know if this was the case in this accident but it happens a lot.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 am

Achigan wrote:

Over correcting while you start to slide will get you in trouble every time.  It's OK if you are alone on the highway, but if another vehicle is in your path then things change drastically.  I don't know if this was the case in this accident but it happens a lot.

I think you figured it out, Achigan. That stretch of road is straight and level so it's hard to see any other cause. The northbound traffic must slow down to 35MPH as it approaches the railroad tracks and the traffic light at Rt 153, but it's hard to imagine someone tapping the brakes to slow down.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm

We sit here and argue about stupid things and most of never think that this could happen to us.  Here today and gone tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the girl that was killed.

girl killed on 16 Img-Classmates-mourn-student-killed-in-crash
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:14 pm

It is true, Achigan. You never know.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down