Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro

+4
WHL
News Hawk
News Buzzard
Amy B
8 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro - Page 4 Empty Re: This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro

Post  Amy B Tue May 20, 2014 7:49 am

OK WHL...do you think Mr. Copeland used the term affectionately? It seems a bit melodramatic to say you're better off murdering or raping someone...for those crimes you go to jail. The point here is that Mr. Copeland oversees important functions in the P.D. Would he be objective and color blind in the hiring or disciplinary actions of the department? Unlikely given his racist rant. As far as the president being the target of his rant...I suspect that if his rant had been against one of black persons at Brewster that the reaction would have been the same...a man in a position of authority in the P.D. needs to be professional, circumspect, and again objective. This is the point of the well written editorials in the Granite State News. I would respectively urge you to reread this editorial printed on page 1 of this thread. Wolfeboro spoke in no uncertain terms that racism would not be tolerated in this town and that people will be judged by their character not color.

Last edited by Amy B on Tue May 20, 2014 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro - Page 4 Empty Re: This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro

Post  News Hawk Tue May 20, 2014 7:52 am

Dragonfly wrote:"...[Bob Copeland] also doubled down after the Police Commissioner meeting and referred to Obama as a Muslim as if there was something wrong with being a Muslim .

Doesn't it trouble you that Obama wrote:
"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
—Audacity of Hope
Question

Suspect
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Tue May 20, 2014 8:32 am

Not at all! Certainly not any more then Bush killing more then 4,000 Americans, disabling 150,000+ and killing hundreds of thousands (some say up to 500,000) in the middle east in the name of Jesus.

I have no problem with religions other then they are a bit cultish and shouldn't be excused from tax burdens which get shifted to the American people.

And you dare to criticize Obama for a peaceful resolution with Syria and Iran! What is wrong with people? When oh when will we ever act like the civilized compassionate society we pretend to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_conflict_in_Iraq_since_2003

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 am

Here's a good summary of the issues at hand and some people's overly unsophisticated, ignorant, and naive approach to them. It is a letter to the editor in the Concord Monitor and one of the rebuttals.

Letter: What about free speech? For the Monitor

Saturday, May 17, 2014
Share on emailEmail
Print
Comments (5)
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on gmailMore Sharing Services0Wow! I would be very busy if I were documenting and reporting to the local paper every conversation I have overheard eating in a restaurant.

I have to question the motivation of the individual who just happened to overhear the conversation of the police commissioner. So now the town of Wolfeboro has become the censors of free speech and engaged in a public witch hunt.

They are asking this man to step down, totally ignoring his years of public service. Give me a break! We all have our opinions, and we all say things without thinking at times. This sure does not sound like the “live free or die” state to me!

Under the Constitution of the United States, every citizen has the right to free speech! I may not like what is stated, but I absolutely defend the individual’s right to say it!

Men and woman have paid a very high price defending these freedoms! I take issue with anyone who attempts to take them away.

SANDRA L. MORRISON

Concord

johnny99 wrote:
05/19/2014
Well, Sandra, I guess we would all be pretty busy if we were to take an impromptu census of all of the people such as yourself who turn out to be closet racists who want it to be perfectly OK to have leaders and law enforcement officials flaunt their racism in public. You "have to question the motivation" of those of us who find such comments sufficiently revolting that they required a response? Meaning you don't find such comments to be outrageous because maybe you yourself are comfortable with them? OK. Here's the motivation: Expose this kind of thing because we will no longer tolerate it. Expose this kind of thing because if this kind of racism is tolerated in law enforcement it will give tacit approval to civil rights abuse by law enforcement officers as a matter of course. Are you saying that you can't see that? Seriously? Maybe you think racial profiling and false arrest of minorities is a good thing. Makes you feel safe having this guy at the helm because he'll keep the minorities in jail where they belong? You can bet that with a guy like this in charge civil rights rarely got in the way of an arrest. Nobody is questioning anyone's right to free speech. This issue is much bigger than that, and anyone who doesn't see it is living in a 2 dimensional world. Is verbal sexual harassment also protected free speech? His remarks reveal him to be a racist and as such he is unworthy of his position, a position which requires character and leadership which are incompatible with racism. Sandra, it's not 1955, it's 2014. If he wanted a job as the Imperial Wizard of the KKK then his remarks and attitudes would make him perfect for the job. Last time I checked our police departments are not directly affiliated with the KKK. Live free or die Sandra? With freedom comes responsibility especially in positions of power and leadership. It's not just about a casually tossed off remark, it's about what that remark reveals about this person's character, and what we expect and are entitled to in our leaders. We don't want stealth racists in our important government positions.

Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Tue May 20, 2014 9:11 am

Love that response!

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Tue May 20, 2014 9:16 am

Amy B wrote:OK WHL...do you think Mr. Copeland used the term affectionately? It seems a bit melodramatic to say you're better off murdering or raping someone...for those crimes you go to jail. The point here is that Mr. Copeland oversees important functions in the P.D. Would he be objective and color blind in the hiring or disciplinary actions of the department? Unlikely given his racist rant. As far as the president being the target of his rant...I suspect that if his rant had been against one of black persons at Brewster that the reaction would have been the same...a man in a position of authority in the P.D. needs to be professional, circumspect, and again objective. This is the point of the well written editorials in the Granite State News. I would respectively urge you to reread this editorial printed on page 1 of this thread. Wolfeboro spoke in no uncertain terms that racism would not be tolerated in this town and that people will be judged by their character not color.

Well said, Amy B, and with this thread up to 4,000 hits the whole world is seeing the ignorance of this Forum Of Gloom !
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Tue May 20, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks NB. And while we're on the "live free or die" topic mentioned in Sandra Morrison's letter I would say this. The "live free or die" motto is being hijacked and misinterpreted by a vocal, ill informed, narrow minded and irresponsible minority in this state in order to justify self-righteous, offensive, and narcissistic behavior. "We don't need a speed limit on the lake and I should be able to go as fast as I want no matter what others think". "I'm not going to wear a helmet because this is the live free or die state and no one is going to tell me to buy health insurance either"...(except when they spill their brains all over the highway they expect everyone else to pick up their hospital bill).
  Live free or die means different things to different people. To me it means enjoying the beauty of NH and the tremendous freedoms we all have. People in many countries could be so lucky! It also means being considerate of others around you and being a good neighbor who helps others and is helped by them.
That's what live free or die is really about.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 20, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't know Mr. Copeland and  I don't know if he is a racist or not.  He might be like me and just not like Obama as President.  That doesn't mean there aren't other blacks that I would love to have as president. I am not a racist.  I think Rusty might be right when he said on another forum that this is politics-Democrat VS Republican.  I would be willing to be that 99% of the people in that meeting room in the library were Democrats.  If mean words were overheard against Mitt Romney in Nolan's, I would be willing to be we would never have heard a word about it.  What do you think?

I am not saying that in this age of political correctness, Mr. Copeland should not have been more careful, but I am darn sure he didn't expect this.  Weren't we taught as little kids not to say mean things to and about others?  Yet it happens every day.  I guess that is why we were also taught "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me."  Remember that?  Of course words can and do hurt, but there must have been a reason we learned that.  Were we tougher then than we are today?  People are people and I don't think you will ever change them.  You can get them fired, you can get them to resign, you can punish them in other ways, but people are people. Thank God I have better things to do than worry about what people say.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Tue May 20, 2014 1:35 pm

WHL wrote: I would be willing to be that 99% of the people in that meeting room in the library were Democrats.

Then why were there so few Rebublicans there to defend his right to free speech and to live free or die? Perhaps they must not have felt terribly supportive of him. And are you aware of the Republican who spoke out against Mr. Copeland at said meeting?

WHL wrote: Thank God I have better things to do than worry about what people say.

What people say is generally a reflection of what they do (for example turning a blind eye to trampling of a person's civil rights, say in a traffic stop or other police investigation). Again, please refer to the wise words from last week's GSN editorial.
  History teaches us that people like yourself had better things to do than worry about what people say in many scenarios. Examples like Rawanda, 1930's Germany, and even our own deep south in the 1950's all come to mind. When the injustice is directed at someone other than one's self, worrying about what other people say is indeed an easy way out....no argument from me on that count.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Most likely they knew if they went they would be attacked by the mob?  Or they were too busy?  Am I aware a Republican spoke out against him? No. Only one?

I agree with you speech can be hurtful.  But I read a lot of comments from you people that were not very nice, such as calling people nuts and ugly old white men and others.  Why is that allowed?  Why was Sarah Palin called so many nasty names and we didn't hear much complaining about that????
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue May 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Dragonfly wrote:"...[Bob Copeland] also doubled down after the Police Commissioner meeting and referred to Obama as a Muslim as if there was something wrong with being a Muslim.

Would you befriend a  Muslim?

http://www.barenakedislam.com/2014/05/19/awwwwwdhimmi-western-journalist-who-thought-muslims-were-his-friends-was-nearly-beaten-to-death-and-shot-by-his-muslim-friends-in-syria/
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Tue May 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Of course I have Muslim friends.  Jewish, black and Indian too.

As of 2010, over 1.6 billion or about 23.4% of the world population are Muslims and second only to Christianity.

They can't all be bad, just like all Christians or Jews can't be bad.

Last edited by Dragonfly on Tue May 20, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue May 20, 2014 5:26 pm

News Buzzard wrote:Well said, Amy B, and with this thread up to 4,000 hits the whole world is seeing the ignorance of this Forum Of Gloom !

You could direct those hits to your former forum—Wolfeboro's Stalinist Forum.

I hear it's not doing well!

No 

A_F—give it a shot!

pirat 

http://wolfeboro.freeforums.org/

drunken

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Dragonfly wrote:Of course I have Muslim friends.  Jewish, black and Indian too.

As of 2010, over 1.6 billion or about 23.4% of the world population are Muslims and second only to Christianity.

They can't all be bad, just like all Christians or Jews can't be bad.  
IF there was ever  a "War on Women", it would be here:

http://tinyurl.com/yv9ml2

Shocked 

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 20, 2014 6:26 pm

In reading some other places, I realize that people that are not from around here don't realize what our police commissioner does.  They say things like: "I hope he doesn't get his retirement."  WHAT???  It is practically a voluntary position, let along big pay and retirement.  It just goes to show what happens when people stick their noses into something that they know nothing about.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Tue May 20, 2014 6:37 pm

WHL wrote:In reading some other places, I realize that people that are not from around here don't realize what our police commissioner does.  They say things like: "I hope he doesn't get his retirement."  WHAT???  It is practically a voluntary position, let along big pay and retirement.  It just goes to show what happens when people stick their noses into something that they know nothing about.

Copeland re-affirmed what he said and then said that Obama fit his criteria ! That's the only thing people need to know. He resigned in shame, and that's what he deserved. He didn't even have the class to apologize.  No
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Why did you quote my post for that reply?  What does your reply have to do with my post?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Tue May 20, 2014 6:54 pm

WHL wrote:Why did you quote my post for that reply?  What does your reply have to do with my post?

You were trying to build a case that people don't know what they're talking about and maybe they shouldn't be sticking their noses into this case, but who cares if they don't know about pensions or things like that? The only thing that matters in this case is what Copeland said ! Even your boy, Mitt Romney, said that Copeland's statements were reprehensible. No excuse.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 20, 2014 7:46 pm

News Buzzard wrote:
WHL wrote:Why did you quote my post for that reply?  What does your reply have to do with my post?

You were trying to build a case that people don't know what they're talking about and maybe they shouldn't be sticking their noses into this case, but who cares if they don't know about pensions or things like that? The only thing that matters in this case is what Copeland said ! Even your boy, Mitt Romney, said that Copeland's statements were reprehensible. No excuse.
No, I wasn't trying to build a case that people don't know what they are talking about.  I just think they didn't realize what a really minor position this is.  You would think he was PRESIDENT……and running the world. Very Happy
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue May 20, 2014 8:03 pm

\"News Buzzard wrote:"...The only thing that matters in this case is what Copeland said...!

Your gloat is costing Wolfeboro already: visitors are reported cancelling bookings and reservations.

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=225121&postcount=67

Wolfeboro was so lucky to have Ms. O'Toole listening for Politically-Correct defects in our community.

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=225171&postcount=69

pale 

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Tue May 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I find it incredible that you continue to defend this hateful man....it's as if you agree with his ugly statement. Perhaps you're just ignorant about the connotations of the word..

nig·ger
[nig-er]

The term nigger is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. The senses labeled Extremely Disparaging and Offensive represent meanings that are deeply insulting and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. It is so profoundly offensive that a euphemism has developed for those occasions when the word itself must be discussed, as in court or in a newspaper editorial: “the n-word.”
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed May 21, 2014 7:26 am

I don't think we will lose too many summer visitors, NH.  In fact, the publicity, negative though it may have been, might help us.  People who have never heard of Wolfeboro, NH might be curious now.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro - Page 4 Empty Disruptive—with NO consideration for others...

Post  News Hawk Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 pm

WHL wrote:I don't think we will lose too many summer visitors, NH.  In fact, the publicity, negative though it may have been, might help us.  People who have never heard of Wolfeboro.

The curse of noisy and inconsiderate Ocean-Racers can be expected to thrive because of Wolfeboro's negative publicity.

IMHO.

No
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Wed May 21, 2014 2:52 pm

News Pigeon wrote:I find it incredible that you continue to defend this hateful man....it's as if you agree with his ugly statement. Perhaps you're just ignorant about the connotations of the word..

I think we had a very good outpouring of resentment for the Commissioner's remarks, News Pigeon, and people keep overlooking the fact that Copeland exacerbated his own problem with his E-mail responses. If he had apologized to the complainant immediately this thing would have gone away without ever getting to the paper. People make mistakes, but it's not a good idea to compound them.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Wed May 21, 2014 3:14 pm

News Buzzard wrote:
News Pigeon wrote:I find it incredible that you continue to defend this hateful man....it's as if you agree with his ugly statement. Perhaps you're just ignorant about the connotations of the word..

I think we had a very good outpouring of resentment for the Commissioner's remarks, News Pigeon, and people keep overlooking the fact that Copeland exacerbated his own problem with his E-mail responses. If he had apologized to the complainant immediately this thing would have gone away without ever getting to the paper. People make mistakes, but it's not a good idea to compound them.

Exactly, he doubled-down on his statement and then a few here tried to defend him...I don't see any of them apologizing any time soon.
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next