Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congo Church

+2
News Buzzard
WHL
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Congo Church Empty Congo Church

Post  WHL Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:25 am

OK, let's see if I can start a little local trouble here. I absolutely HATE the look of the new Congo Church.  It doesn't fit and worst of all the siding it terrible!  I am so disappointed that the beautiful old brick church has turned into this.  If they had to tear it down, couldn't they have at least put something nice in it's place??  What do you all think?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Congo Church Empty Re: Congo Church

Post  News Buzzard Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I have no affiliation with the Congo Church, but I say wait until it's done before you form an opinion. In it's early stages it definitely doesn't seem to have the charm of the old church, but it might all come together when they wrap it up.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:07 pm

I keep hoping the same thing but that siding is just awful!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:33 pm

That's not the finished siding. The finished is going to be stone. If you look at it up close you'll see there are little clips on it where they will obviously be grabbing something. I talked to Grant Hatch and Doug Smithwood about it and we've come to the conclusion it's NOT done, although they did the hydro-seeding and put up the sign today. Sterling can't wait to skateboard done the amazing handicap ramp.

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Oh, GOOD! I am so glad to hear that. I hate the way it looks now. A friend came to town and asked if it was a new library.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Congo Church Empty Congo Church Siding

Post  DragonfliesAntiques Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I ran into my old pal Edie DesMarais this afternoon across the street at the new Congo Church and she told me the siding is the final siding.  She went on about how it matches exactly the brick and trim color in the back.  She said that bricking it would have cost another 1/2 million.  I'd like to know where they get these numbers.  They just aren't believable.  Rolling Eyes

DragonfliesAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 am

I had a feeling it was the final siding and I am sorry but I think it looks terrible.  Wood would have looked better than that if they couldn't afford the bricks again.  What a shame to lose a gorgeous old building to that.  The least they could have done was made it look nice.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whiteman Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:11 am

The building has a nice Mexican look to it now...Mexico in Wolfeboro! Maybe this will draw more Hispanics to Wolfeboro.

whiteman

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:43 pm

whiteman wrote:The building has a nice Mexican look to it now...Mexico in Wolfeboro!  Maybe this will draw more Hispanics to Wolfeboro.

They're already here.

Two were cleaning next door—on Sunday—and "gang-signs" covered walls at the train station building.

Suspect 

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:56 am

The new contemporary, minimalist Congo church is AWFUL! I seriously dislike that they have stripped every single solitary ounce of history from the church. It is plain inside and out and looks like a contemporary library.

They had their first service this past weekend and have an open house coming up.

I've photographed churches throughout the US & Central America all the way to Panama, from Basallicas to country churches and this is amongst the worst ever.  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 pm

I agree with you. It is plain and cheap looking. I can't believe they took away such a beautiful old building and replaced it with that. It seems they could have come up with something a little nicer. They probably were trying to save money but it looks it. I think they got bad advice somewhere along the line. They could have done much better.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whiteman Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Me gusta! I can take a siesta and feel right at home now! Niza! Niza!

whiteman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:56 pm

You can take a siesta at your home where racist chicken shits are allowed to hide behind their keyboards.  You troll - you're awful white man.

I know you do it just to get my goat, but it's just not funny - it's in poor taste, just like our Police Commissioner who showed us what was in his heart.

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  whiteman Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 pm

It's just a joke and not meant to get you upset...sorry. I just thought the church looks like homes in Mexico.

whiteman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:11 pm

I suspect you haven't spent much, if any time in Mexico.

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 pm

The church could always improve its looks by covering the front with vinyl siding.

pirat 

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 am

Well, nothing could look much worse.  What IS that stuff? It looks like cardboard to me. I wonder if ANYBODY likes the looks of the church?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 am

I like it. I saw similar complaints about the school district and the hospital when all of their renovations were done. Some people just don't like change !
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Well, my friend, I hate to tell you but you have terrible taste. I know, I know, matter of opinion but I don't see how ANYBODY can like that siding. It looks so cheap.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Mexico has beautiful stucco/stone/cocina homes quite usually painted very bright colors. Everything that church isn't!

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Yes, DF. It seems they could have done something with it!?? I can't help but wonder if the members like it.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfly Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:14 pm

It reminds me more of Kansas or Iowa then Latin America or for that matter New England. To be honest, I didn't much like the last building either, but I really dislike this one and think it was hideously expensive for what they got.

Dragonfly

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:47 am

It reminds me of downtown anywhere cheapsville. I can't think of anywhere that carries that style of building-except scattered here and there. I liked the other one the way it nestled in. I understand things gets old, I still think they could have renovated but didn't want to, but they could have built something new that was more in keeping with the other older building in the town. They decided to keep Town Hall as it is, the church is the complete opposite style. It just doesn't fit in. Obviously someone liked the plan for the new one though.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Can I assume this is the final destination of the bell...on the front lawn? Call it unusual, even "daring", but I'm just not that impressed.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  Downtown Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:41 pm

I like it. I didn't like the old one. This has contemporary style which isn't what people around here are used to, but for that style it is icey designed. I am so glad they didn't put up a "fake new england" style building that is SUPPOSED to look like our traditional architecture but typically comes out, due to lack of proper proportion and detailing, to look like a bad fake.
Each to his or her own. I know there are houses around that have "one of everything", some circle top windows, some gingerbread trim, some of this and some of that, and they look like hell.

Downtown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next