Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today...

+3
News Pigeon
WHL
News Hawk
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today... Empty Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today...

Post  News Hawk Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:18 pm

First one at Noon paused to counsel a teen on a SUP that he needed a PFD while "operating" his SUP. (As a "vessel"). The teen was trying to climb back on his board.

As the "Law" passed by, I waved and got a wave in return.

Smile 

Later, around 4-PM, a black, red and white GFBL cruised into Winter Harbor, turned around and "put the pedal to the metal". He suddenly slowed, and the reason was, he was headed directly towards the SECOND NHMP boat!

I couldn't see if a "conversation" followed, but he'll probably be more observant next time.  

sunny 

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today... Empty Re: Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today...

Post  WHL Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:45 am

I would say it was the first one came right in and right up to a boat that was moored. I don't even know if he spoke to him but MP left and the guy moved the boat maybe 50 feet from where he was. If the two things were related I don't know.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today... Empty Re: Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today...

Post  News Pigeon Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:01 am

Laughing Why do I have this mental picture of two old yentas bitching about those who are just trying to enjoy life.....life that has simply passed them by!
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Another Saturday, and Zero NHMPs today!

A MONSTER of a powerboat came by, towing a tube. I'm sure the NHMP would have directed him to "wider-waters", where his mass would affect fewer people, and lessen shoreline erosion.

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:52 am

News Hawk wrote:Another Saturday, and Zero NHMPs today!

A MONSTER of a powerboat came by, towing a tube. I'm sure the NHMP would have directed him to "wider-waters", where his mass would affect fewer people, and lessen shoreline erosion.

was the monster150' from shore, docks, and other boats?

red_hill

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm

News Pigeon on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:01 am
+
----
-
Laughing Why do I have this mental picture of two old yentas bitching about those who are just trying to enjoy life.....life that has simply passed them by!
Because you're right!  Smile 

by red_hill on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:52 am

He reminds me of that old lady that used to rap on the windows of her house and yell at the kids to get off the street in front of her house.  Laughing 

I just spent 9 days at the lake in one of the busiest parts for boating...I have to say I did not see a single boat even close to violating RSA 270 D:2 X. I also only saw three MP Patrol Boats in total for the entire time I was up there and on the water. What was it that that State Rep said,....a solution in search of a problem....

I know I will regret this question but I will ask anyway. APS what is a "MONSTER of a powerboat"? Brand, size and speed is what I am looking for, not a general BS answer that you are noted for and if the MONSTER powerboat was violating the law or not, and if it was what action did you take?

Sleep 
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm

obervantone wrote:
News Pigeon on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:01 am
+
----
-
Laughing Why do I have this mental picture of two old yentas bitching about those who are just trying to enjoy life.....life that has simply passed them by!
Because you're right!   Smile 

by red_hill on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:52 am

He reminds me of that old lady that used to rap on the windows of her house and yell at the kids to get off the street in front of her house.    Laughing 

I just spent 9 days at the lake in one of the busiest parts for boating...I have to say I did not see a single boat even close to violating RSA 270 D:2 X.   I also only saw three MP Patrol Boats in total for the entire time I was up there and on the water.  What was it that that State Rep said,....a solution in search of a problem....

I know I will regret this question but I will ask anyway.  APS what is a "MONSTER of a powerboat"?   Brand, size and speed is what I am looking for, not a general BS answer that you are noted for and if the MONSTER powerboat was violating the law or not, and if it was what action did you take?

Sleep 
That's like asking what an "oversized" boat is...

red_hill

Back to top Go down

Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today... Empty Not JUST Erosion, But a Danger to Paddlers...

Post  News Hawk Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 pm

red_hill wrote:

was the monster 150' from shore, docks, and other boats?

I watched from shore, so I couldn't tell. There was no NHMP to direct him away.

How is erosion affected by the 150' rule?

scratch

One hundred fifty feet (150') only means there are is a hazard of rocks near shore, and not meant to lessen erosion. Haven't you seen erosion around the lake?

scratch

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

I disagree with you, NH. 150' from shore is to lessen erosion and stop boats from rocking among other things. Do you think they care if we hit a rock?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm

WHL wrote:I disagree with you, NH.  150' from shore is to lessen erosion and stop boats from rocking among other things.  Do you think they care if we hit a rock?  

This is news to me, and I read all the NH boater's guides.

scratch 

Erosion is only mentioned in-passing, below where milfoil is a problem.

One interesting factoid (in the guide) is that if you're located in a bay or cove that's 1000' across (or less), every powerboat has to proceed at "Headway Speed".

BTW: I saw no patrolling NHMP boats Saturday or Sunday.

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am

I was told that by a MP one time-about the 1000 feet across. He was referring to jet skiis saying they really couldn't go full speed in places like that, but of course they do. Wish I could remember why it applies to jet skiis especially. No one knows about that law so it is never followed.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:22 am

News Hawk wrote:
WHL wrote:I disagree with you, NH.  150' from shore is to lessen erosion and stop boats from rocking among other things.  Do you think they care if we hit a rock?  

This is news to me, and I read all the NH boater's guides.

scratch 

Erosion is only mentioned in-passing, below where milfoil is a problem.

One interesting factoid (in the guide) is that if you're located in a bay or cove that's 1000' across (or less), every powerboat has to proceed at "Headway Speed".

Unfortunately the NHMP took a budget hit. We all want services but not all pay for them or want to

red_hill

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Post  WHL Today at 7:19 am
I was told that by a MP one time-about the 1000 feet across. He was referring to jet skiis saying they really couldn't go full speed in places like that, but of course they do. Wish I could remember why it applies to jet skiis especially. No one knows about that law so it is never followed.
I wonder if this was the same MP Officer that I read about a few years ago that claimed boats within 3 FOOTBALL FIELD LENGTHS of each other must travel headway speed,  Of course the law is 150 feet and since a football field is 100 yards, or 300 feet, plus the end zones the MP Officer was saying any vessel within 900 feet of each other must travel at headway speed.  

This seems consistent with the MP officer's incorrect interpretation of the law that he told you about.

News Hawk
I saw two on Saturday.  Red_Hill is correct.  Since the MP became part of the State Police and is now taxpayer funded rather than funded through boat registration fees, the division has taken a big hit in its budget.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

I don't miss a heavier presence. When they patrolled more, boats passed us as we were going slow, 25 feet away from us, right in front of MP and they didn't get stopped. So I think we are doing just fine as we are. If someone needs them, we can always call them.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:08 pm

WHL
I don't miss a heavier presence. When they patrolled more, boats passed us as we were going slow, 25 feet away from us, right in front of MP and they didn't get stopped. So I think we are doing just fine as we are. If someone needs them, we can always call them.
While that is true, the downside of that argument is that if the only Patrol boat operational at the time of need is in or around Glendale...or worse, it is hanging around the no wake zone at the the Weirs on the Paugus Bay side and it is needed say in Moultonboro, how long do you think it will take to get it there?
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Well, you have to weigh the expense against the convenience and I am willing to sacrifice to save a little money. Just commenting to the above post by red.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:19 pm

WHL wrote:I don't miss a heavier presence.  When they patrolled more, boats passed us as we were going slow, 25 feet away from us,  right in front of MP and they didn't get stopped.  So I think we are doing just fine as we are.  If someone needs them, we can always call them.  

What number do you call?

The last few times they were needed, I got an answering machine (usual local NHMP #). Once early in the morning, there was a long delay before the State Police answered. The State Police said to call Wolfeboro Police!

After I gave the WPD all the details of the drunks in the middle of Winter Harbor, I said, "Don't call me back"! Fifteen minutes later, they called back, and said they couldn't find my house!

scratch 

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:26 pm

I don't call them but they used to be in the phone book. That number doesn't work?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whiteman Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm

They couldn't find your house because they know who you are and know that you complain too much.

whiteman

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am

WHL wrote:I don't call them but they used to be in the phone book.  That number doesn't work?
Last time I called, the NHMP local number (mid-day), I got a recording and left a message. When I called their toll-free (877) number, I got the State Police, who said to call WPD. Rolling Eyes

The NHMP does have a night-time squad, but if you call after 10 or so, they have a call-out officer, who gets rousted out of bed. (Blizzard case).

whiteman wrote:They couldn't find your house because they know who you are and know that you complain too much.
While that doesn't make sense, I only ask that they do the job they're paid to do—as any taxpayer  would. If there's a better LEO job in New Hampshire, I don't know what that might be.

One NHMP Sergeant stopped by at my request—after a complaint—and agreed with what I had to say. My request (through his efforts) to ride with them nights was approved, but I never followed up. I was hoping to see how their radar worked against speeders after dark, when the NHMP couldn't be so readily identified.

I did get some back-talk from one male NHMP dispatcher, but the officer was on his way and had arrived just as I was about to hang up.

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:20 am

I believe that since the NH State Police took control of the NHMP that emergency calls before and after normal business hours (8:15am to 4:15pm Mon-Fri) go through the SP switchboard further increasing the delay in a response to an emergency. Rather than a call to 911 that will end up being transferred all over the place, I'd first try hailing them on VHF 16.

So in my question regarding an emergency response, if you factor in the switchboard issues, it could be the better part of an hour before a Marine Patrol boat on Paugus Bay could get the call and arrive on scene in Moultonboro. That is short sighted especially when dealing with an emergency. Someone will eventually be critically hurt or worse because of the current set up.

You've all heard the phrase "penny wise and pound foolish" This is a perfect example.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:15 pm

obervantone wrote:You've all heard the phrase "penny wise and pound foolish"  This is a perfect example.

Even a twenty-minute NHMP response is too late on the water.  Be ready to rescue—like my family (and I) did last season.

Exclamation 

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Not ONE—But TWO—NHMPs in Winter Harbor Today... Empty NOT the "Unmarked" NHMP Boats...

Post  News Hawk Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:06 pm

An actual NHMP boat passed by today. At first, I thought it was a regular center-console outboard, with two aboard. Interestingly, it wasn't colored like the others, but it was marked like the other NHMP boats.
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 am

One was in the day before in the afternoon. It looked like he checked a mooring.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 am

News Hawk wrote:
obervantone wrote:You've all heard the phrase "penny wise and pound foolish"  This is a perfect example.

Even a twenty-minute NHMP response is too late on the water.  Be ready to rescue—like my family (and I) did last season.

Exclamation 

It is a big lake. Absent 5-6 boats running on Winni alone, 20 minutes would be quick. If it were medical, the local FD will likely be longer.

red_hill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next