The wisdom of Mike Mansfield

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The wisdom of Mike Mansfield

Post  obervantone on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 pm

I was watching Vice President Joe Biden's address to Harvard's JFK School last night, and something he said struck me as being at the heart of the problem of today's polarlized politics.  I have not seen it in the coverage of last night's event so you read it here first.

He told the story of when he was a young U-S Senator and the Late Mike Mansfield was Senate Majority Leader.  Biden was particularly upset by something Jesse Helms had said or done and was ranting to Mansfield and it was getting personal.

Here is the story he told last night, paraphrased...everyone needs to heed these words:

Mansfield said Joe, what would you say if I told you Jesse Helms and his wife adopted a child with cerebral palsy?  Biden said he would be shocked,  Mansfield said a child was interviewed for Christmas and said all he wanted was parents so the Helms' adopted him...

“Joe, never question another man’s motive. Question his judgment but never his motive.”

Statesmanship is not politics...it is the ability to disagree with someone's judgement and to not make it personal.  I know that I have been guilty of this in the past and I will endeavor to change my ways.  That statement by Mister Biden last night really got me thinking.  The advice Senator Mansfield gave is needed now, more than ever at every level of discussion, political or otherwise.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The wisdom of Mike Mansfield

Post  News Buzzard on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:13 pm

That's nice, but FOX News has poisoned the well. They're not interested in objective, intelligent discussion. They're only interested in taking out Obama.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Fox makes a lot of noise, but that is just all it is....noise.   The ratings tell a different story:

Total Viewers Sept 24
Fox News:  1,199,000
CNN             557,000
MSNBC         326,000
CNBC           288,000
HLN             225,000
FBN              41,000

25-54 Demo:
Fox News        239,000
CNN               141,000
HLN                106,000
CNBC               83,000
MSNBC              71,000
FBN                   6,000
Less than 2 million views a week and less than 250K in the 25 to 54 year old age group.

This compares to the other network newscasts:

Numbers for the week of Sept. 22, 2014:

Total viewers
NBC: 8,187,000
ABC: 8,029,000
CBS: 6,344,000

25-54 demo:
ABC:  2,002,000
NBC: 1,811,000
CBS: 1,507,000

So while Fox makes a lot of noise and it gets a lot of attention for being anti Obama everything, it is still dwarfed in viewership compared to the mainstream media outlets.   There is still hope.

Last edited by obervantone on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Neglected to put in the date of the ratings for the Cable News outlets)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Yes, indeed, there is still hope. Good point!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:17 pm

News Buzzard wrote:That's nice, but FOX News has poisoned the well. They're not interested in objective, intelligent discussion. They're only interested in taking out Obama.

Do you watch MSNBC? I do (and I never watch Fox unless it is flipping channels)

red_hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:41 pm

red_hill wrote:
News Buzzard wrote:That's nice, but FOX News has poisoned the well. They're not interested in objective, intelligent discussion. They're only interested in taking out Obama.

Very rarely, but MSNBC relies more on facts rather than the Obama trashing narrative. Someone has to combat the trash coning out of FOX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:35 am

I didn't include this in the ratings because it is technically a comedy, but

The Daily Show.  1,396,000 viewers...nearly as many as the entire viewership of Fox News! Sept 24.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:24 am

News Buzzard wrote:
red_hill wrote:

Very rarely, but MSNBC relies more on facts rather than the Obama trashing narrative. Someone has to combat the trash coning out of FOX.
How can you say that, given the fact that you very rarely watch it Question

red_hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:42 am

I read a lot of their stuff.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 am

red_hill wrote:
News Buzzard wrote:
red_hill wrote:

How can you say that, given the fact that you very rarely watch it Question

EXACTLY what I was going to say, red. He just parrots what he hears. He has no idea. I listen to Fox a lot and it is just the left's way of attacking a perfectly great news channel. The libs. don't like it because Fox refuses to do the President's bidding no matter what like all the other channels. Fox tells it like it is. It is just politically correct now to attack Fox.
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:02 am

Here is a perfect example of the FOX narrative against Obama:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09/30/conservative-media-blames-rise-of-islamic-state/200949

They do it all the time and their reports are frequently fact free, just like this one was.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:12 am

The Friday FOX Follies:

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/10/03/introducing-friday-fox-follies.html

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:01 am

My sources are frequently from English-speaking news sources from Australia, India, and Britain. These sources tell "how it is".

Britain has no dog in this fight—but tells it like it is, rather than how it should be.

study

View user profile http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Fair and Balanced?

Post  obervantone on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Fox News lost any and all of my respect for objective journalism when they donated $1-Million to the Republican Governor's Association followed by an equal donation to the National Chamber of Commerce.  A spokesman issued this statement regarding the RGA donation:
"News Corporation believes in the power of free markets, and the RGA's pro-business agenda supports our priorities at this most critical time for our economy," a company spokesman told Smith.
Not very objective, not even a hint of objectivity!

Granted other media organizations make political donations, but they are always in much smaller amounts and equally split between the parties.
Fox "News" is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the ultra right wing of the party and has admitted as much.  

Read more here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/17/news-corp-donates-1-milli_n_684462.html
or here:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0810/Fox_parent_gives_1_million_to_RGA.html
Unfortunately the original Bloomberg Article is no longer available.

Yep, Fair and Balanced...except when it comes to news.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:59 pm

So you think it's a bad thing to believe in free markets, observant? If you don't believe in free markets, what do you believe in?
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:22 pm

obervantone wrote:I didn't include this in the ratings because it is technically a comedy, but

The Daily Show.  1,396,000 viewers...nearly as many as the entire viewership of Fox News!  Sept 24.

I've never heard of "The Daily Show". Do they discuss Ebola?

scratch

I choose to view all Internet news from around the world.

Why tout the number of viewers? How many "numbers" are children or senile citizens? It would make more sense to compare number of viewers who are American citizens who are informed voters.

"Sports-bars" would bloat the numbers.

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by News Hawk on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Megyn Kelly (FOX News) is reporting on the scourge of Ebola coming to this country.

Will Ebola be linked indefinitely with the inept Obama Administration?

Question

Megyn Kelly:

Headline from the Internet:

Disappearing Act: Ebola Supplies Shortages Amid Liberia Donations
—Front Page Africa

As if America's Democrats could not tell us about fraud and deceit...

Still another headline from CNN:

"CNN Reporter Stands in Front of Dallas Middle School, Tells Children Not to Worry About Ebola"

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Chris Matthew and his buddies at MSNBC are unbiased??????? lol! lol! lol! lol!
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:12 am

Post  WHL Today at 4:59 pm
So you think it's a bad thing to believe in free markets, observant? If you don't believe in free markets, what do you believe in?
Not at all but it IS a bad thing for an alleged news organization to be giving $1-million to the committee of one party, and a second $1-Million to an organization that is a strong backer and lobbyist organization for that party then publicly stating that The Republican Governors Association represents Fox's priorities.  

Shouldn't that priority be reporting the news in a factual manner?  

Something else to consider.  Roger Ailes, President of Fox News, the man with editorial control and the man who approved the donations.  Do you know his background?  Journalist?  Nope, a political operative for Nixon, Reagan, George HW Bush and George W Bush.

Certainly MSNBC is left leaning but only Fox disavows everything other than conservative thinking and even provides monetary support to conservative political parties and organizations.  

The video that NewsHawk kindly provided regarding Fox calling for the isolation of the United States to prevent the Ebola virus from spreading here and criticizing the President for not issuing the orders is a perfect example of trying to manipulate the message instead of giving the public the best information available.  

NewsHawk, Yes The Daily Show has done shows on Ebola, you should check it out either online or On Demand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:55 am

I bet the liberal channels give just as much to the Dems. It all comes out sooner or later.
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 am

obervantone wrote:NewsHawk, Yes The Daily Show has done shows on Ebola, you should check it out either online or On Demand
It is not presented as "news", but of sarcasm. I hope The Daily Show wakes up this criminal administration. Flights from afflicted west African countries should be stopped—last month!!!

What is Obozo waiting for?

obervantone wrote:
The video that NewsHawk kindly provided regarding Fox calling for the isolation of the United States to prevent the Ebola virus from spreading here and criticizing the President for not issuing the orders is a perfect example of trying to manipulate the message instead of giving the public the best information available.  
Obama's "responses" have been inept at every recent news-stories recently. We're "sorta" fighting ISIS, and the CDC is trying to calm fears of an incredible, advancing pandemic. The man who flew to Dallas knew he had Ebola, and he is not an American! His condition has been changed to "critical".

The Spanish Flu killed millions in 1918, but "only" killed 20% of those afflicted. Ebola (and other hemorrhagic diseases) kills nearly everybody who comes in contact with them. (Plus, the primates who were test subjects).

No

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:46 pm

WHL Today at 7:55 am
I bet the liberal channels give just as much to the Dems. It all comes out sooner or later.
No the "liberal channels" I assume you mean the ones that tell more than one side of a story, do not contribute that kind of money. It is a matter of public record, If you or a corporation or union donate money to a political organization then it must be recorded in with the Federal Election Commission's Office of Campaign Finance which is public record. That is how the Fox News donation to the Republican Governors Association was discovered. Fox News and the RGA did not issue a press release, in fact Fox News never reported it at all to their viewers.
New Hawk responding about The Daily Show
It is not presented as "news", but of sarcasm.
Which is why I did not include it when I listed the ratings of news organizations. The Daily Show is a comedy show based on current events that has nearly as many viewers at Fox News.
News Hawk
Obama's "responses" have been inept at every recent news-stories recently. We're "sorta" fighting ISIS, and the CDC is trying to calm fears of an incredible, advancing pandemic. The man who flew to Dallas knew he had Ebola, and he is not an American! His condition has been changed to "critical".

The Spanish Flu killed millions in 1918, but "only" killed 20% of those afflicted. Ebola (and other hemorrhagic diseases) kills nearly everybody who comes in contact with them. (Plus, the primates who were test subjects).
And I say to you that if The President had taken exactly the course of action that your Fox "news" report is demanding, that Fox News and conservatives would be screaming that the President is overstepping his authority and instituting what amounts to martial law and should be impeached. Fox News and most right wing conservatives (not moderates) are anti-Obama, (as the Fox News statement supporting the RGA proved) even when the initiative that Obama supports and they now oppose was a conservative imitative to begin with. So here is where I use a word that I have not used so far in the debate with the party of NO.....racism. Beginning with the Birthers. John McCain was not born in the US, neither was Mitt Romney, but I have not seen Birther movements concerning either of them.

This country has to come back to debate on all levels, not hate mongering on radio and misinformation on TV. Question a person's judgement on issues, do not fabricate "truths" and make things personal. Unless we get back to that, Democracy is in trouble.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Well said, Obervantone!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 pm

One correction.  Mitt Romney was born in Detroit to a father who was born in Mexico...Much like Obama was born in Hawaii to a father born in Kenya.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:08 pm

No the "liberal channels" I assume you mean the ones that tell more than one side of a story, do not contribute that kind of money.

You have got to be kidding me if you think the liberal channels tell more than one side of a story. They are more liberal than Fox is conservative. Check out how many times those channels report negative Obama stories vs how many times they report positive Obama stories. Don't, please don't tell me you haven't heard these numbers before.
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top