Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know

+2
WHL
fshnski
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know Empty Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 pm

What would you do if the IRS wanted to see your interactions on social media?

At least one Tea Party group in Ohio received just such . As part of its broad inquiry for information about the group's activities after it had applied for tax-exempt status, the IRS wanted details about how the Ohio Liberty Coalition promotes or publicizes itself on social media such as Facebook.

And that's not all the IRS wanted to know. Among other things, Tea Party groups claim they were asked for printed copies of every Web page, Facebook status update and tweet they'd published; complete lists of attendees of all their meetings; and lists of relatives of board members.

The former head of the Ohio Liberty Coalition, Tom Zawistowski, says he recognized that these types of requests were "onerous, invasive and politically motivated." He held conference calls addressing the matter last year with other Tea Party leaders around the country.

It turned out that dozens of other groups — , according to the Washington Post— were undergoing similar scrutiny.

The IRS also wanted copies of any news coverage the groups had received, as well as the names of all speakers at meetings and narrative accounts of those meetings. Oh — plus, transcripts of speeches and all handouts.

"There were 88 inquiries in this letter," says Eric Wilson, cochair of the Kentucky 9/12 Project. "We knew immediately it was overreaching."

Addressing that many questions, Wilson says, cost thousands of dollars and required countless hours of manpower.

He found this out the hard way. He refused to comply with the IRS' request, but the American Center for Law and Justice, which represented the targeted groups on a pro bono basis, wanted to see the Facebook printouts and all the rest to make sure they truly were not needed to file for tax-exempt status.

"It was 5,000 pages," Wilson says. "There was weeks of work from multiple people with our organization on a volunteer basis."

On April 1, the Kentucky 9/12 Project received a letter from the IRS granting the group 501(c)4 status. The one-paragraph document offered no explanation for the two-and-a-half year delay in granting tax-exempt status, Wilson says.

That letter also did not include an apology, but the IRS has since offered a blanket apology for inappropriately scrutinizing applicants with conservative leanings.

"We are not accepting the apology of the IRS and we do expect a full investigation," says Yvonne Donnelly, national chair of the 9/12 Project.

Zawistowski notes that he went public with his complaints about the IRS targeting more than a year ago, writing a letter that drew in the conservative media.

He's disappointed that the issue has taken this long to receive broader attention.

"The same information was out a year ago, yet people were not as outraged as they should have been," he says.

NPR
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know Empty Re: Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know

Post  WHL Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Can you imagine gathering all that paperwork????
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know Empty Re: Exactly What Did The IRS Want To Know

Post  News Pigeon Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Where was your outrage when the GOP was overly scrutinizing the NAACP, ACORN or Planned Parenthood? All of which turned out to be completely unmerited BTW...
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 7:10 pm

I love your avatar, News Pigeon!
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks, it compliments yours rather nicely..... Wink
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Racists!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 pm

fshnski wrote:Racists!

WHL, is this comment acceptable behavior for your forum? Will you also delete fshnski's post that referred to News Pigeon and I as racists? Don't you think it to be a very intolerant statement, and is this the kind of forum you want to run?
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 7:30 pm

You feign indignity when you know exactly why you have chosen your avatars. I stand by what I said. Racist.

Last edited by fshnski on Mon May 13, 2013 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed singular to plural)
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 pm

fshnski wrote:You feign indignity when you know exactly why you have chosen your avatar. I stand by what I said. Racist.

There you go. I guess it's OK on this form for one poster to call another RACIST

I guess that's acceptable behavior here on the Wolfeboro/Gilford Forum.

WHL, are you going to tolerate fshnski calling News Pigeon and myself racists?
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Racist.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 7:49 pm

fshnski wrote:Racist.

WHL, is there anybody in charge of this forum?

News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm sorry to our webmaster. I just can't stand it when somebody tries to use race to further their agenda. If you want me to "cool it" I will.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 pm

fshnski wrote:I'm sorry to our webmaster. I just can't stand it when somebody tries to use race to further their agenda. If you want me to "cool it" I will.

And now you are accusing us of "trying to use race to further our agenda." (whatever that means) That is just as intolerant as the first couple of posts.

I didn't realize that so much intolerance was allowed on this forum.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm

This is coming from the most oppressive government I could imagine. You talk of intolerance yet you can't tolerate some one who disagrees with your agenda. Intolerance? Look in the mirror!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Mon May 13, 2013 8:07 pm

fshnski wrote:This is coming from the most oppressive government I could imagine. You talk of intolerance yet you can't tolerate some one who disagrees with your agenda. Intolerance? Look in the mirror!

Can you give even one example of oppression by this government?
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 8:11 pm

I'll give you one. The left thinks that everybody should think the same way you do.

Last edited by fshnski on Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 13, 2013 8:12 pm

News Buzzard wrote:

Free speech has a price, it isn't a "right" not to be offended. At least not yet.

Instead of running to the moderator..if you disagree with fshski's assertion challenge it.

If you are here to express an opposing position, you are very welcome. If you came to troll and crash the forum, it is best you stay out of this board. I hope you decide to participate.

Admin
Admin

https://wolfgil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 pm

I'll give you one. You think that everybody should think the same way you do.

LOL...let me rephrase that question so you might understand...
Can you give even one example of oppression by this government, not me, this government? Just one example...
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Admin wrote:
News Buzzard wrote:

Free speech has a price, it isn't a "right" not to be offended. At least not yet.

Instead of running to the moderator..if you disagree with fshski's assertion challenge it.

If you are here to express an opposing position, you are very welcome. If you came to troll and crash the forum, it is best you stay out of this board. I hope you decide to participate.

So now the Administrator of this forum thinks it's OK for one member to call another Racist?

I want the name Wolfeboro taken off this forum! Call it the Tuftonboro/Gilford forum and leave our town's good name off it. I am shocked that you would allow such reprehensible behavior!!!
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Who the heck do you think you are?!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 pm

There does seem to be double standards here....
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 pm

I complimented a Republican, Bob Gates, today, but I guess it went over his head.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  News Pigeon Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Bob Gates did set the GOP "witch hunters" straight, I'll give him that!
News Pigeon
News Pigeon

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon May 13, 2013 9:13 pm

This forum is not an accurate reflection of the fine citizens who live here, News Pigeon, but rather just an intolerant few. The majority of folks in Wolfeboro dedicate their time for worthy causes such as the Lions Club, The Rotary, Meals on Wheels, Dinner Bell, Wolfeboro Meals, The Kingswood Youth Center, The Friends Of Abenaki, The Friends Of Town Hall, The Friends Of The Library, Huggins Hospital, Government Service and many, many more wonderful causes.

This forum is dominated by a very bitter minority of folks, and does not deserve to have the name Wolfeboro attached to it.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 am

News Buzzard wrote:This forum is not an accurate reflection of the fine citizens who live here, News Pigeon, but rather just an intolerant few. The majority of folks in Wolfeboro dedicate their time for worthy causes such as the Lions Club, The Rotary, Meals on Wheels, Dinner Bell, Wolfeboro Meals, The Kingswood Youth Center, The Friends Of Abenaki, The Friends Of Town Hall, The Friends Of The Library, Huggins Hospital, Government Service and many, many more wonderful causes.

You are encouraged to discuss any and all of these fine organizations and causes here on this forum. I would even be willing to set up subforums for you. However your claim that this forum is not an accurate reflection of the citizens isn’t entirely accurate. I can’t recall a single Wolfeboro Area forum where a member did not accuse another of being racist or making a racist comment.

News Buzzard wrote:This forum is dominated by a very bitter minority of folks, and does not deserve to have the name Wolfeboro attached to it.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own reality.

News Buzzard wrote:I want the name Wolfeboro taken off this forum! Call it the Tuftonboro/Gilford forum and leave our town's good name off it. I am shocked that you would allow such reprehensible behavior!!!

After careful consideration…that is not going to happen. Your indignation seems somewhat less than sincere.

Admin
Admin

https://wolfgil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum