Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lawmakers, groups call for investigation of IRS

Go down

Lawmakers, groups call for investigation of IRS Empty Lawmakers, groups call for investigation of IRS

Post  fshnski Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

Attorney General Eric Holder said the Justice Department is launching a criminal investigation into the matter, an investigation White House spokesman Jay Carney said President Barack Obama supports.

"He has no tolerance for the targeting of specific groups, conservative groups," Carney said.

IRS officials said certain employees targeted groups using keywords such as "tea party" or "patriot." In New Hampshire, the heads of conservative organizations Cornerstone and Americans for Prosperity said they want a timely and transparent investigation.

"I think that groups applying for C4 status do certainly need to be the subject of scrutiny, but the same scrutiny," said Ashley Pratte of Cornerstone Action.

"When the IRS is used as a weapon, in particular against President Obama's big government opponents, it makes clear that there is a political undertone," said Greg Moore of Americans for Prosperity.

U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, D-N.H., joined the rest of the delegation in denouncing the actions the IRS workers are accused of.

"I haven't heard anything that's changed my mind so far," she said. "It's not what we do. It's not what we're about."

Shea-Porter said the investigation needs to determine who is responsible.

"This is just wrong on every level, and we know it," she said.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/politics/lawmakers-groups-call-for-investigation-of-irs/-/9857748/20147038/-/kbds3b/-/index.html#ixzz2TN75L1iR
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down