A Conval Regional High School senior wants to wear his Marine Corps uniform ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Conval Regional High School senior wants to wear his Marine Corps uniform ...

Post  fshnski on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 am

... at graduation instead of a cap and gown, but the school won't allow it.

Brandon Garabrant has a lot to celebrate. The 18-year-old graduates from boot camp on Friday at Parris Island, S.C. He will then fly home to New Hampshire for his high school graduation, where Brandon wanted to wear his new Marine Corps uniform.

"Brandon earned this right and he went above and beyond what he needed to do in high school," said his mother, Jessie Garabrant.

The principal sent an email to Brandon's mother saying the student council supports all students wearing caps and gowns as a celebration of their ConVal achievements with their ConVal class.

Wearing pins or cords representing other accomplishments is an option, but Brandon doesn't want his uniform under wraps.

"I think covering up with a cap and gown is disgraceful to the uniform," said Jessie.

Brandon's little sister started a petition.

"Their response was, 'Why can't he wear it? That's dumb.' Or they were like, 'I don't care what he wears,'" said Mykala Garabrant.

Attorney Justin Nadeau said school boards usually have the final say in cases like this.

"I'm certainly not aware of any current state law that would regulate what someone can or cannot wear at graduation," said Nadeau.

Brandon's family said he might have to reveal his new Marine Corps uniform as soon as he graduates.

"The worse-case scenario, Brandon will wear his cap and gown over the uniform," said Jessie.

Whatever ends up happening, Brandon has plans right away after graduation. He heads to Marine combat training, then school for combat engineering.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/school-says-grad-cant-wear-marine-corp-uniform-at-graduation/-/9857858/20426524/-/2pyr7sz/-/index.html#ixzz2VLdZUitX

If you like your Doctor, you can keep your Doctor.
fshnski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Conval Regional High School senior wants to wear his Marine Corps uniform ...

Post  obervantone on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:16 pm

While I agree that the school should have allowed the student to wear his Dress Marine Corps uniform at graduation the fact remains that the "uniform of the day" was cap and gown and as a service member he should understand that and not whine about it.

My other question is how was he allowed to take 16 weeks off from school to go through Parris Island boot?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

No pride allowed.

Post  fshnski on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 pm

PETERBOROUGH — "Brandon deserves to wear his uniform," reads the sign hanging next to an American flag in the window of Kate's Cuts on Route 202, down the road from ConVal High School.

Brandon Garabrant, 18, of Greenfield is graduating from Marine boot camp Friday in South Carolina, and will be home in time for his ConVal High School graduation Saturday. His mother, Jessie Garabrant, said his request to wear his uniform instead of a cap and gown was refused by school officials, who cited graduation policy. A cap and gown will have to cover his uniform.

"I'm overwhelmed with the support of the community. It's just wonderful," Jessie Garabrant said. "People are just outraged, our friends and family. That's how this all started. Brandon doesn't know this has become such a controversy."

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130606/NEWS04/130609516/-1/news

fshnski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Conval Regional High School senior wants to wear his Marine Corps uniform ...

Post  WHL on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:17 am

I would like ob's question answered. How did he manage to do all that while still in high school? Was it a ROTC program or something like that?
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:21 am

That's a good question.

I wonder which 16 weeks will have proved to be more important for this young man's future.

fshnski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 am

Well, I think we can all answer which is more important to his future, fsh.
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:03 am

A High School valedictorian—somewhere in the US—was told by his Principal that he would not be allowed to use the word "God" in his speech.

So what'd he do?

He tore up his speech at the podium, and then proceeded to recite The Lord's Prayer!

Surprised Shocked Surprised Shocked Surprised

I'd wear the uniform proudly: if they withhold his diploma, they'd look foolish in the local press, and he can always get a G.E.D. during his military service.

Actually, he should get a medal for that!
News Hawk

View user profile http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:35 am

Do you think that young man's heart was beating fast? Good for him for standing against oppression.

fshnski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am

I saw that NH. I wonder if they dragged him off the stage after.
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 pm

News Hawk:
I'd wear the uniform proudly: if they withhold his diploma, they'd look foolish in the local press, and he can always get a G.E.D. during his military service.

Actually, he should get a medal for that!
As I said, the "Uniform of the Day", that was determined by his superiors, is Cap and Gown. You are advising the young Marine to begin his career in the Marine Corp by disobeying an order and you think he should be rewarded for it?

He's a Marine now, suck it up and follow orders.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good enough for me.

Post  fshnski on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:38 pm

The U.S. Marines are siding with a local high school that said a student who has graduated from basic training can't wear his dress uniform to the graduation ceremony.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/marines-side-with-high-school-in-capandgown-dispute/-/9857858/20472142/-/u3v60fz/-/index.html#ixzz2VZZlTQSa

fshnski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 pm

fshnski wrote:The U.S. Marines are siding with a local high school that said a student who has graduated from basic training can't wear his dress uniform to the graduation ceremony.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/marines-side-with-high-school-in-capandgown-dispute/-/9857858/20472142/-/u3v60fz/-/index.html#ixzz2VZZlTQSa

That makes sense. This is his graduation from high school event. He wears his uniform when he graduates from whatever it is Marines graduate from. Do they have their uniforms for Boot Camp? So did he wear it then?
WHL
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top