Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum:

4 posters

Go down

Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum: Empty Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum:

Post  News Hawk Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:28 am

While looking for something else, I found this old reply of mine:

Reading these posts (and pictures -- thanks) make me feel a lot better about my mishap on the 4th. I knew to get off the water by 10 AM.

It's likely that the forum will shortly have a lot of stories. Here’s what I watched (while my wood-glue repairs were drying):

1) Friday, a ~24-foot BR did about 15 tight circles, PWC-fashion about 150 feet off my dock. Five kids were delighted. I was dizzy.
2) Saturday, a bright yellow ~23-foot Stingray I/O did seven circles in reverse (!) in the same place, with an adult seated on the swim platform -- legs in the water. No I/O diagnostics performed -- adult beverages in evidence.
3) An MP boat clobbered a drifting ~24-foot boat after hailing him in a busy “sea lane”. It was big wakes again -- not directly the MP’s fault. The two motored off together , nose to tail, in the direction of a boat ramp (???).
4) A huge Carver finished his Sunday with a light-tackle slow-troll in ~40 feet of water. (Wonder how much that fish would have cost). A big Rinker was towing a tuber with a tow rope a lot shorter than the boat.
5) My newest neighbors -- male adults with two Jet-Skis -- took turns splashing one another with wakes at ~15 MPH, about 100 feet off my dock.
6) Saturday, I tried to direct a “picnicker” away from my water supply pipe. They “were only going to be a minute”, and dropped two anchors. Lunch, swim, no damage -- this time.
7) Sunday I called the local police to advise that a dock-construction barge was about to become adrift (due to the constant big wakes). It was anchored by one upright post, but the post had worked away from the bottom in shallow water, and was upwind of several deep water docks -- including mine! No storms forecast for tonight -- thank goodness.

There were the usual near-misses involving “downed” skiers and tubers. Where does it say you have to stay 150 feet away from “downed” skiers and tubers anyway? They’re playing -- and I’M navigating? "Don't you know who I am?"

I don’t care how good the weather is next July 4th weekend -- I’m lining up a big wood-glue project, for sure.
("Neighbors" are most often renters).

Check out the remaining replies at

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/archive1.cgi?noframes;read=57670
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum: Empty Re: Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum:

Post  WHL Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:23 am

I try to avoid going out in a boat on the 4th.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum: Empty Re: Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum:

Post  fshnski Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 am

Same here. It's not too bad if you get out real early but after about 9:00 it turns into a zoo!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 am

fshnski wrote:Same here. It's not too bad if you get out real early but after about 9:00 it turns into a zoo!
I normally didn't even put my boat in the water..

Not only that but near our house is what I refer to as the triangle of death. After passing through a channel (blacks on left reds on right) people bank left to continue up to the next bay. Weekend warriors get confused and sometimes turn right where there is a triangle marked by one red two blacks. This is to show you to avoid but they do not realize to stay between they are making a 45 degree turn to the north and it doesn't mean "go thru".

Anyway on the 4th we count how many hit the rock reef in the middle... One year was 11!
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 pm

OMG, 11! It is amazing how many people go on the wrong side of buoys I guess. I saw it twice last weekend.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm

WHL wrote:OMG, 11!  It is amazing how many people go on the wrong side of buoys I guess.  I saw it twice last weekend.  
It just happened to be a "perfect storm" scenario. Normally, the lake level is down enough that if a boater is paying attention they can see the rocks just above the surface. I believe it was 2010 and the lake level was a bit higher than average. The water was about 4-7 inches over the top of the rocks. Just enough that the surface was not disturbed but close enough that the hull would pass over the top but hit every drive.

In the early spring I have seen boats go right over it no problem (very lucky) but in the fall you can see over 8 feet of the rock ledge exposed.

Makes for a very expensive weekend for unknowing souls and inexperienced boaters on the lake.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Back when FATP was really Active in the "Boating" forum: Empty Is Bill Marriott an "Experienced Boater"?

Post  News Hawk Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:53 am

sumrluvr wrote:
WHL wrote:OMG, 11!  It is amazing how many people go on the wrong side of buoys I guess.  I saw it twice last weekend.  
It just happened to be a "perfect storm" scenario. Normally, the lake level is down enough that if a boater is paying attention they can see the rocks just above the surface. I believe it was 2010 and the lake level was a bit higher than average. The water was about 4-7 inches over the top of the rocks. Just enough that the surface was not disturbed but close enough that the hull would pass over the top but hit every drive.

In the early spring I have seen boats go right over it no problem (very lucky) but in the fall you can see over 8 feet of the rock ledge exposed.

Makes for a very expensive weekend for unknowing souls and inexperienced boaters on the lake.
The old FATP forum in September, 2003:

"Weatherwise, this has been the best week of the season. There are also no boats.  

On these flat-calm days, my guests and I have shaken the spiders out of the kayak, hooked up my brother-in-law's solar- powered electric motor rig, and gone touring. Today, hot as it was, I went solo for a several-hour adventure.

When I approached a boat ramp, I saw a very large Laker (the "Dolphin") being brought up to an immersed trailer. I waited until the boat had touched the trailer's bow receiver, then proceeded about 50 feet behind him. The geezer at the helm chose that moment to power-reverse off the trailer and, at a too-rapid speed (and with his assistant yelling at him) reversed his mahogany stern towards the middle of my kayak. With no time to turn up the dial -- which is the throttle -- I paddled furiously out of harm's way, and continued on a bit.

I asked myself: "Hadn't I just passed that same boat at an estate?" So I motored back to the ramp and asked the geezer if he also owned a big, dark, wood cruiser -- the "Dauntless" -- and what powered it? He responded that he did, and it has two V-8s. I asked him if his name was "Bill". He replied in the affirmative. I said I'd stayed at his hotels.

He seemed pleased that I had no interest in his reversing technique, and we chatted a bit.

He appears the same as he did on TV a few years ago, but now has a white skin graft on the tip of his nose.

While he's not Drew Barrymore, Bob Dole, or any Winnipesaukee "celebrity", he's had many, many seasons here at the Lake.

Imagine how close I came to be able to say: "I've been run over by Willard 'Bill' Marriott!" Cool 
scratch
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:43 am

Good story! He has been coming here since his parents first bought here which has been most of his life.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down