Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who the heck thinks this makes sense?

4 posters

Go down

Who the heck thinks this makes sense? Empty Who the heck thinks this makes sense?

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:33 pm

WOLFEBORO — Mark Anthony, owner of Anthony's Old Style Pizza in Clarke Plaza, got a rude shock at the beginning of August when he received a July 30 letter from Audrey Cline, Wolfeboro's code enforcement officer, asking him to stop using his illuminated "Open" sign.

Citing Section 175-44, Part D of the zoning ordinance, adopted in 1997, Cline wrote, "The lighted 'Open' sign is not in compliance."

The sign with OPEN in large red illuminated letters is located inside of Anthony's restaurant but visible in the window.

Anthony was not alone in receiving a letter from Cline. The same letter was sent to all businesses with illuminated signs in town, according to Town Manager Dave Owen.

Paul Zimmerman, Anthony's landlord at Clarke Plaza, responded to Cline's letter on Aug. 19, writing "Please be advised this red neon sign was purchased and installed by Ted Vathally in 1988 when he opened his Sub & Pizza business," enclosing a photo taken during a 1988 appraisal with the Open sign visible in the window. Zimmerman's point was that since the sign was installed before the ordinance was enacted, it is grandfathered or exempt from the regulation.

Cline responded on Aug. 26 claiming that "due to the poor quality of the copy [of the photo] I cannot identify the sign in the window," and asked for a better copy. Alternatively she offered to come and look at the manufacturer's label to verify date of manufacture.

Larry Kitsios, owner of Louis Pizza in the Wolfeboro Shopping Center across from Clarke Plaza, said he also got Cline's letter and claims his Open sign is grandfathered. "I have had a sign there since I bought the business," he said, well before the law was changed. Kitsios complained that the town makes it hard for people to run a business. "If you go on Route 28 toward either Alton or Ossipee you will see signs pointing you to Alton House of Pizza or Ossipee House of Pizza. Wolfeboro doesn't allow signs like that either."

A spokesman for Care Pharmacy said their lighted Open sign had been removed after Cline's letter was received. He noted that the sign helped people driving by on Center Street know whether his business was open, particularly in winter when it gets dark early and snow blocking panels make it difficult to see whether the store interior lights are on.

Wolfeboro Area Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Mary DeVries said she had not seen the Cline letter but said Chamber members were concerned about the town sign restrictions and enforcement, which were the subject of controversy in 2010, and that the Chamber played an active role in modifying the ordinance in 2011.

DeVries said the Chamber board would take up the subject at its next meeting.

An inquiry to Town Planner Rob Houseman on the scope of enforcement was unanswered at press time.

Back to top Go down

Who the heck thinks this makes sense? Empty Re: Who the heck thinks this makes sense?

Post  WHL Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I was in Care Pharmacy when they were all talking about that.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who the heck thinks this makes sense? Empty Re: Who the heck thinks this makes sense?

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:14 pm

I'd like to know who brought this to the attention of the town. Some little snitch.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Donzel Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm glad Cline is doing her job. Zoning ordinances are in place for a reason and she is doing a good job of making sure businesses (and citizens) follow the letter of the law. Cline is one smart lady and she doesn't take any bull from anyone.
Being a code enforcement officer is not an easy job.

Donzel

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Donzel wrote:I'm glad Cline is doing her job.  Zoning ordinances are in place for a reason and she is doing a good job of making sure businesses (and citizens) follow the letter of the law.  Cline is one smart lady and she doesn't take any bull from anyone.
It's no wonder you like this. More control ... MORE CONTROL!!!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Tell me what's wrong with that sign. Is it getting them too much business?
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Who the heck thinks this makes sense? Empty Authoritarianism! Just Remembered...

Post  News Hawk Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:51 pm

fshnski wrote:
Donzel wrote:I'm glad Cline is doing her job.  Zoning ordinances are in place for a reason and she is doing a good job of making sure businesses (and citizens) follow the letter of the law.  Cline is one smart lady and she doesn't take any bull from anyone.
It's no wonder you like this. More control ... MORE CONTROL!!!
Anti-Federalist had a word for this—but I forgot it!

scratch

Alton's signs look honky-tonk: Grandfather the signs.

Grandfather the signs—already!

Mad 
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:56 pm

The no lighted sign thing was to combat the portable lighted business sign with the changeable letters'
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:01 pm

I could name hundreds of people who would disagree with you about how smart she is. I won't say any more.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

I wonder how long Cline has lived here. I bet the sign has lived inside the pizza joint longer than most people have lived in our town.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down