Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible?

3 posters

Go down

Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible? Empty Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible?

Post  Achigan Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 am

2 Corinthians 6:14

English Standard Version (ESV)

The Temple of the Living God

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?"
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible? Empty Re: Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible?

Post  News Hawk Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Achigan wrote:
2 Corinthians 6:14

English Standard Version (ESV)

The Temple of the Living God

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?"

Makes sense to me...

study

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible? Empty Re: Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible?

Post  Achigan Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Interesting.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Achigan wrote:Interesting.

It's a "modern-English" version of an Old-English translation from Greek—or much earlier—Aramaic.
The Monks "gussied-it-up" some.

It's saying that hanging-out with Unbelievers will morally push you down.
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm

News Hawk wrote:
Achigan wrote:Interesting.

It's a "modern-English" version of an Old-English translation from Greek—or much earlier—Aramaic.
The Monks "gussied-it-up" some.

It's saying that hanging-out with Unbelievers will morally push you down.

Are you a believer?
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Do you believe or understand this verse in the Bible? Empty But then there is this...

Post  obervantone Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Matthew 25:40
And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

So it is not taken out of context, here is the entire passage: Matthew 25:31 to 25:46 "The Final Judgement" :

31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 pm

So if someone wanted to marry a non-believer then in the eyes of Jesus it wouldn't be OK.

Hence where it states in 2 Corinthians 6:14........ "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers".
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 am

It was Paul, not Jesus who "said" those words and there are many interpretations of what they meant in his letters to the Corinthians,  Here is just one:
http://www.theologyofwork.org/new-testament/2-corinthians/working-with-nonbelievers-2-corinthians-614-18/

here is ANOTHER:
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3262757?uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21103603387263

Bottom line is theologians are not sure exactly what is meant, or if it was even inserted into Corinthians in the correct place or order and/or completely taken out of context.  I recommend you look at the overall "work" and not focus on specific lines.    Just MHO
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:38 am

Thank you obervantone.

I have a friend who lived with someone for @ 3 years and then all of a sudden left that person because she wasn't a believer. It's a long story but the bottom line is that if the other person doesn't become a believer and also go to church then he won't have a relationship with her other then be a friend. I thought that things were going well and they were going to get married but then this came up.
My friend quoted the section that I posted about yoking with a non-believer.

I feel if you really care for someone then it would take a lot to not want live or marry them. I think it's just that he wants to get rid of her and is using the bible as a tool to do it.

I'm totally confused.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:58 am

If you want to get involved in that (your call Smile) I would point out to him that it is a translation of what was written in a now dead language and over the years the meaning of many words have changed.   Look at the word GAY...it means something totally different today than it meant just a few decades ago.    

Looking at the passage and glancing through some of the various theologians thoughts, the word YOKED could mean beholding to, or under the control of, or a number of other meanings as it applies to anything.  

I would also point out that many theologians think whoever edited the that portion of the Bible (yes it was edited) probably just put that particular letter in where they felt it fit best, some even think, based on Paul's other writings, that he could have been using an example of the times that the Corinthians could relate to because quite frankly to me, a non theologian, it does not seem to fit with the overall teaching of the Bible.    

There is a lot of mystery still surrounding that book.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks again.

I think I'll probably just not get involved with trying to understand my friends thought process right now.

I'm not much of a bible reader because it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm more of a science person then a believer.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Probably a wise decision. I am one of those people who believe that science and the Bible are not mutually exclusive and both can coexist in harmony.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:59 pm

obervantone wrote:Probably a wise decision.   I am one of those people who believe that science and the Bible are not mutually exclusive and both can coexist in harmony.

Very well put and thank you.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 pm

"Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light."
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down