Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Anti-eminent domain

4 posters

Go down

For Anti-eminent domain Empty For Anti-eminent domain

Post  WHL Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 am

/www.weeklystandard.com/articles/kelo-revisited_776021.html

Our government at work, Anti. Take property by eminent domain and then nothing happens.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

For Anti-eminent domain Empty Re: For Anti-eminent domain

Post  Achigan Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:23 am

WHL wrote:/www.weeklystandard.com/articles/kelo-revisited_776021.html

Our government at work, Anti.  Take property by eminent domain and then nothing happens.  

That's right WHL, all done by a Republican Governor who went to prison. What a shame that the republicans are all for crooks and liars in the business world and not for the common American.

This republican governor was the one to blame:

"The plan to convert this unprepossessing patchwork into an upmarket venue for tourists and condo-dwellers was a three-way operation involving the city of New London, the NLDC, created by the city in 1978 but mostly dormant until the late 1990s, and the state of Connecticut. The governor at the time, John Rowland, was a Chris Christie type: a Republican with the common touch who had succeeded politically in an overwhelmingly Democratic state. (Rowland’s political career came abruptly to an end when he went to federal prison in 2005 for having state contractors do free work on his home.) Rowland was an enthusiast for redevelopment"...

Read the whole article to see who was responsible for the eminent domain and you might not have poste this.

Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 am

I don't care who was responsible. It's just awful to take these people's homes and land and businesses.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

Achigan wrote:
WHL wrote:/www.weeklystandard.com/articles/kelo-revisited_776021.html

Our government at work, Anti.  Take property by eminent domain and then nothing happens.  

That's right WHL, all done by a Republican Governor who went to prison.  What a shame that the republicans are all for crooks and liars in the business world and not for the common American.

This republican governor was the one to blame:

"The plan to convert this unprepossessing patchwork into an upmarket venue for tourists and condo-dwellers was a three-way operation involving the city of New London, the NLDC, created by the city in 1978 but mostly dormant until the late 1990s, and the state of Connecticut. The governor at the time, John Rowland, was a Chris Christie type: a Republican with the common touch who had succeeded politically in an overwhelmingly Democratic state. (Rowland’s political career came abruptly to an end when he went to federal prison in 2005 for having state contractors do free work on his home.) Rowland was an enthusiast for redevelopment"...

Read the whole article to see who was responsible for the eminent domain and you might not have poste this.

Oh, shut up.

This is an issue I know more than just a little bit about, the government stealing people's property is as "bi-partisan" as it comes.

The City of New London is who ultimately did this to Suzette Kelo and her neighbors.

And it was the progressives on the SCOTUS who ruled in favor of the city, and the crooked governor, that government can just steal your land and turn it over private developers, if they think they will be able to get more taxes out of it.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:03 pm

WHL wrote:I don't care who was responsible.  It's just awful to take these people's homes and land and businesses.

Just another blind partisan.

Never mind that the city government were mostly democrats.

Never mind it was progressives on the court that allowed this to go forward.

Never mind a successive republican governor, Jodi Rell, tried to help the people of Ft. Trumbull save their homes.

Never mind that the victims of eminent domain abuse are usually poor minorities in heavily democratic areas.

Nope...forgot all that.

"It's those dirty pig-dog Republicans!"

And that's why we can't have nice things.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:15 pm

You tell 'em, Anti!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Anti Federalist wrote:
WHL wrote:I don't care who was responsible.  It's just awful to take these people's homes and land and businesses.

Never mind a successive republican governor, Jodi Rell, tried to help the people of Ft. Trumbull save their homes.

Never mind that the victims of eminent domain abuse are usually poor minorities in heavily democratic areas.

Nope...forgot all that.

Exactly..."It's those dirty pig-dog Republicans!" They started this mess regardless of who else was involved. Greed and F**K the little guy.

The republicans made the people poor and then took their land...Goodbye you no good working class people...I don't give a sh*t about you, get your a** out of here and I don't care where you go.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Achigan wrote:
Anti Federalist wrote:

Nope...forgot all that.

Exactly..."It's those dirty pig-dog Republicans!"  They started this mess regardless of who else was involved.  Greed and F**K the little guy.

The republicans made the people poor and then took their land...Goodbye you no good working class people...I don't give a sh*t about you, get your a** out of here and I don't care where you go.

Again, for the benefit of those who are not just trolling...

It was the liberals on the Supreme Court that approved this.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Anti Federalist wrote:
Achigan wrote:
Anti Federalist wrote:

Nope...forgot all that.

Exactly..."It's those dirty pig-dog Republicans!"  They started this mess regardless of who else was involved.  Greed and F**K the little guy.

Again, for the benefit of those who are not just trolling...

It was the liberals on the Supreme Court that approved this.

What did the Supreme Court do wrong by approving it? Be specific as to what the violated.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 am

Achigan wrote:What did the Supreme Court do wrong by approving it?  Be specific as to what the violated.

Amendment 5:

...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

What SCOTUS did with this ruling is stand the Fifth Amendment on its ear.

Eminent domain takings are bad enough, when your land is seized by government to build a road, or a sewage plant or a school.

But at least you could argue for just compensation, and it had to be nominally for public use, which you could then take to the taxpayer that was getting bilked for the funding and attempt to shut it through the legislative process.

What the progressive wing of the SCOTUS said was, "no, that doesn't go far enough".

They ruled that the NLRDC (New London Re-Development Council) could seize the homes and properties of the (lower middle and working class mind you) people living in the Ft. Trumbull area and directly turn them over to private land developers and Big Business.

In this case, Pfizer Pharma, who wanted the land for new offices, and a real estate developer...the name escapes me right at the moment...who had plans to turn the waterfront area into high rent condos and an upscale marina complex.

The justification was simple: the swells that would buy these condos, and work in these offices, would pay more in taxes than the working stiffs that were living there.

So, a whole community was decimated and seized...all for nothing.

One my proudest accomplishments was doing my small part to amend the NH Constitution to prohibit such takings:

"No part of a person's property shall be taken by eminent domain and transferred, directly or indirectly, to another person if the taking is for the purpose of private development or other private use of the property."

Another is helping a number of people, some local, to fight off eminent domain takings of their property.

Something else struck me during this whole affair.

I recall attending an angry rally on the steps of city hall in New London, and what I saw was very interesting.

This was not a crowd of republicans...it was not a crowd of democrats...it wasn't a crowd of blacks, or whites, or what have you. It was one of the most diverse crowds, politically, that I had ever seen, all combined in uniform disgust at what government was doing to these people.

It was then that I began to hope there might be a chance to unite people around a common cause and take our liberty back.

False hope I'm afraid.   Sad 

Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 am

And the big key is "just" compensation". Oftentimes they don't want to pay true value of the property. People also often have to give up lifelong sentimental value to a property and I feel sorry for them. Our property is only ours until the gov. decides they want it.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 am

Anti,

Thank you for helping get NH's State Constitution - Bill of Rights amended as shown below:

[Art.] 12-a. [Power to Take Property Limited.] No part of a person's property shall be taken by eminent domain and transferred, directly or indirectly, to another person if the taking is for the purpose of private development or other private use of the property.

November 7, 2006
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 am

That whole deal in New London, Ct was just plain wrong. No one should ever lose their property to private developers. An interesting case right here in New Hampshire is the Northern Pass. Could that project result in eminent domain?
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:22 pm

News Buzzard wrote:That whole deal in New London, Ct was just plain wrong. No one should ever lose their property to private developers. An interesting case right here in New Hampshire is the Northern Pass. Could that project result in eminent domain?

It's my understanding that, no, it will not, thanks in no small part to the NH amendment.

As far as I know, the man I supported for president was the only one to make a statement on that issue.

I ran my own ads in support of it and him:

For Anti-eminent domain D31CtCo
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:28 pm

WHL wrote:And the big key is "just" compensation".  Oftentimes they don't want to pay true value of the property.  People also often have to give up lifelong sentimental value to a property and I feel sorry for them. Our property is only ours until the gov. decides they want it.

Exactly right.

Or this: try not paying your property taxes. Then you'll see who really owns your land.

We're all nothing but serfs and squatters living day to day on the King's land at his whim only.

And instead of rising up in indignation and righteous anger at this situation and reclaiming our birthright of liberty, what do we do instead?

Fight and squabble over the crumbs falling from the table of our masters.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm

RSA 371 was amended in 2012 to add Section 371:1-b about utilities taken land by eminent domain:

TITLE XXXIV
PUBLIC UTILITIES

CHAPTER 371
PROCEEDINGS TO ACQUIRE PROPERTY OR RIGHTS

Eminent Domain

Section 371:1-b
371:1-b Acquisition Negotiations; Reference to Eminent Domain Prohibited. – No public utility, predecessor development entity, or agent of either, shall refer to the use of eminent domain in any landowner negotiations, unless the commission has first specifically authorized its use under this chapter with respect to the affected landowner. Any landowner may file a complaint with the commission under RSA 365:1 alleging violation of this section. Upon a finding of violation, after notice and hearing, the public utility or project-sponsoring affiliate shall be fined up to $25,000 which shall be deposited in the general fund. If a landowner makes an inquiry concerning eminent domain, the public utility, predecessor development entity, or agent of either, may provide the landowner with the commission's contact information without violating this section.
Source. 2012, 2:1, eff. May 4, 2012.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXXIV/371/371-1-b.htm
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Yep, exactly, Anti.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Yes, thanks, I didn't have time to search the RSA for it.

I know they were trying to play fast and loose with the definition of "public utility" on this one, in order to try and force the issue.

Achigan wrote:RSA 371 was amended in 2012 to add Section 371:1-b about utilities taken land by eminent domain:

TITLE XXXIV
PUBLIC UTILITIES

CHAPTER 371
PROCEEDINGS TO ACQUIRE PROPERTY OR RIGHTS

Eminent Domain

Section 371:1-b
   371:1-b Acquisition Negotiations; Reference to Eminent Domain Prohibited. – No public utility, predecessor development entity, or agent of either, shall refer to the use of eminent domain in any landowner negotiations, unless the commission has first specifically authorized its use under this chapter with respect to the affected landowner. Any landowner may file a complaint with the commission under RSA 365:1 alleging violation of this section. Upon a finding of violation, after notice and hearing, the public utility or project-sponsoring affiliate shall be fined up to $25,000 which shall be deposited in the general fund. If a landowner makes an inquiry concerning eminent domain, the public utility, predecessor development entity, or agent of either, may provide the landowner with the commission's contact information without violating this section.  
Source. 2012, 2:1, eff. May 4, 2012.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXXIV/371/371-1-b.htm
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down