Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the Washington Post

4 posters

Go down

From the Washington Post Empty From the Washington Post

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:05 pm

"If exterminating tens of thousands of people with a nuclear suitcase bomb would rate a 10 on the scale of terrorist acts, the slaughter of more than 3,000 innocent people on Sept. 11 might rank as an 8, and the Oklahoma City explosion that claimed 168 lives might come in at a 5. By that grim reckoning, last week's Boston Marathon bombing with only three fatalities might merit a 3, or barely a ripple."

"What would have happened if the attack had been carried out by highly trained terrorists instead of a couple of losers who thought they were starring in some lunatic version of Die Hard: With a Vengeance? Did we overreact?"

"I think Cassidy is right when he suggests that we gave the terrorists what they wanted by overreacting. They wanted to create chaos and attract attention, and they got it. In the great scheme of things, the bombings were negligible events, unusual only because they were unusual. If we're going to be so sidetracked by such a minor affront, isn't there a danger that much more threatening enemies will be tempted to provoke even greater disruptions? Aren't we as capable of absorbing the occasional blows of a few madmen while getting on with our lives as are, say, Israelis and Britons? And if we aren't, do we need to be?"

http://www.theroot.com/views/did-we-overreact-boston-bombings
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

From the Washington Post Empty Re: From the Washington Post

Post  obervantone Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm

From the Washington Post? Jack White is not listed as one of their contributors and I could not find your posting on the Washington Post. It is, however, on a website called the root whatever that is.
Jack White, a former columnist for Time magazine, is a freelance writer in Richmond, Va., and a contributing editor at The Root.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

I was saying the same thing. It was awful but they have been talking about it forever. When 3 soldiers (I guess they call them troops now) are killed we hardly hear a thing about since Obama has been the President. And look at all those poor people that were killed in Texas in the fertilizer plant explosion. A lot more were killed there, but we haven't heard much news about that at all. The news is that way. Why do they decide to pick on one murder case for example? There are lots of identical murders committed but the press picks up on one in particular and that's all we hear about. I always feel a little sorry for the suspect in these cases, because the media makes the public hate the person so much.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm

What angered me was the writer's attempt to make the bombing a frivolous event. What's the big deal he said. This stuff happens all the time. He suggests this is something we should accept.

Is this what America's coming to?
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I certainly hope that is not what America is coming to!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

And look at all those poor people that were killed in Texas in the fertilizer plant explosion. A lot more were killed there, but we haven't heard much news about that at all. The news is that way.
It was overshadowed by the Boston Marathon Bombing. The bombing took precidence (more coverage) because it was obviously an attack and the fertiizer explosion probably was an accident. If it were not for the Boston Marathon Bombing the plant explosion would have been the top story.

obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 pm

That's true.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 pm

obervantone wrote:
And look at all those poor people that were killed in Texas in the fertilizer plant explosion. A lot more were killed there, but we haven't heard much news about that at all. The news is that way.
It was overshadowed by the Boston Marathon Bombing. The bombing took precidence (more coverage) because it was obviously an attack and the fertiizer explosion probably was an accident. If it were not for the Boston Marathon Bombing the plant explosion would have been the top story.

That's what I was saying. The bombing took precedence yet more were killed in the other incident. I guess an attack is more newsworthy?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 pm

One was an accident and the other was an act of terror committed against Americans!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:00 pm

So let me get this straight. If something is an accident it isn't as important as an act of terror?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 pm

That's what the left is saying. They are trying to make the terrorist attack seam like "not much of a big deal" to be able to push their agenda. They want it to be "internal". They want us to believe this is an isolated incident and not related to global terrorism.

Last edited by fshnski on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm

This is just one more thing they want us to accept as "doing business" in a democratic society.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 pm

You sound like a democrat now? That's what the left is saying. They are trying to make the terrorist attack seam like "not much of a big deal" to be able to push their agenda. They want it to be "internal". They want us to believe this is an isolated incident and not related to global terrorism.
Good to know that you are here to explain to me what my 'agenda' is and that you are also here to explain my motivations, thoughts and feelings to me. Thanks! scratch Rolling Eyes
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm sorry. I should have said the left instead of democrats.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 pm

See above:
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:07 am

fshnski wrote: "If exterminating tens of thousands of people with a nuclear suitcase bomb would rate a 10 on the scale of terrorist acts, the slaughter of more than 3,000 innocent people on Sept. 11 might rank as an 8, and the Oklahoma City explosion that claimed 168 lives might come in at a 5. By that grim reckoning, last week's Boston Marathon bombing with only three fatalities might merit a 3, or barely a ripple."

"What would have happened if the attack had been carried out by highly trained terrorists instead of a couple of losers who thought they were starring in some lunatic version of Die Hard: With a Vengeance? Did we overreact?"

"I think Cassidy is right when he suggests that we gave the terrorists what they wanted by overreacting. They wanted to create chaos and attract attention, and they got it. In the great scheme of things, the bombings were negligible events, unusual only because they were unusual. If we're going to be so sidetracked by such a minor affront, isn't there a danger that much more threatening enemies will be tempted to provoke even greater disruptions? Aren't we as capable of absorbing the occasional blows of a few madmen while getting on with our lives as are, say, Israelis and Britons? And if we aren't, do we need to be?"

http://www.theroot.com/views/did-we-overreact-boston-bombings

We learn from accidents.

From the Boston bombings, we learned nothing from 9/11.

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 am

I thought you were talking to me, fsh!! Please don't ever call me that nasty word!!!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:30 am

I meant no disrespect WHL.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:33 am

fshnski wrote:I meant no disrespect WHL.

I know that. Smile Were you talking to me or Ob?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:12 am

obervantone wrote:It was overshadowed by the Boston Marathon Bombing. The bombing took precidence (more coverage) because it was obviously an attack and the fertiizer explosion probably was an accident. If it were not for the Boston Marathon Bombing the plant explosion would have been the top story.
On this one story, New Englanders are so parochial.

Rhode Islanders are concerned, because one of their citizens converted to Islam, and went silent on the bomber: Massachusetts (and Maine), because 9/11 started at Logan Airport, and the days-long police search ended up in their suburban back yards. New York only got interested upon learning that they were next on the bomber's itinerary.

Now, Washington's politicians are trying to put closure onto something that isn't going away. You may have noticed that Jill Biden has appeared in local Massachusetts newspaper headlines.

I'm sure Texans know of the Boston Bombing, but the Texas blast—which caused a half-dozen First Responders to disappear into thin air—is of more interest to states west of the Mississippi, more specifically, the agricultural states.
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down