Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned

4 posters

Go down

Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned Empty Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned

Post  fshnski Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 pm

The 40-year-old museum run by the Mount Washington Observatory is planning a major overhaul designed to give summer visitors a feel for the mountaintop's extreme winter weather. The 2,750-square-foot space will be stripped down to the studs and filled with modern, hands-on exhibits that will educate the public about what it takes to research some of the world's worst weather.

"The new museum will deliver the winter experience to the summer visitor," said observatory director Scot Henley, who announced the plans Thursday. "The days of having specimens behind glass in a museum is on the way out. This new museum experience is built on interactivity."

For decades, Mount Washington was known as home to the fastest wind gust ever recorded on Earth -- 231 mph on April 12, 1934. It lost that distinction in 2010, when experts reviewing extreme weather data discovered that a 235 mph gust had been recorded in Australia during a 1996 cyclone. But Mount Washington still claims to be home to some of the world's worst weather, given the combination of bitter cold, snow, wind and freezing fog it frequently experiences.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/major-overhaul-of-mt-washington-museum-planned/-/9857858/20275582/-/s12sez/-/index.html#ixzz2U8zvhEE1
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned Empty Re: Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned

Post  News Buzzard Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Nice article! Love that cog!
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned Empty Re: Major overhaul of Mt. Washington museum planned

Post  fshnski Thu May 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I have never been up the Cog Railroad, but I've driven to the top 6 or 7 times. I've been up there when you could see forever and when you couldn't see the end of your car. The only thing that gave you bearings was the light of the entrance.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 am

I have never been up there either by the railway either, fsh, but have gone up the road lots of times, too. My better half and some friends went up the railway a couple of years ago and I stayed home. They were freezing in July, they broke down and the track in front of them got struck by lightening. I am glad I didn't go. I have a couple of things which belonged to some people who were killed on the cog when it had the bad accident, and it always kind of scared me.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 am

Ditto on the cog railway. pale

I've been up there at least thrice, with the same experiences as fsh: both great and awful visibility—but everyone should make that trip once in their lifetimes. The second trip was with my brand-new bride—who was underimpressed with the entire blinding and chilly ride—including the krumholz I found fascinating.

The last trip was about ten years ago, with guests who enjoyed it and found interesting "mountain-top" factoids I'd missed.

A suitable "up-high" substitute is to go to the Castle-in-the-Clouds restaurant: from there, you can see mountains in Vermont. Shocked

Just don't go there when it's overcast or windy! Surprised
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri May 24, 2013 9:21 am

Speaking of wives ... Have you ever driven up Pike's Peak? It's hard to believe they race up it. Take the Mt Washington road and multiply that by 3 or 4! It was an intense drive. I don't think my wife saw too much of it though. She was OK on the way down the hill.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 am

Never been up Pike's Peak, but the cog is so much better with the diesel locomotives! It's much cleaner and they give you an hour on top. A couple of years ago they were giving 2 for 1 deals to Carroll County residents for the entire month of June. I hope to see that again!
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down