Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loons

2 posters

Go down

Loons Empty Loons

Post  WHL Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 am

Has anybody heard of or seen any baby loons anywhere?  We haven't seen any in the usual places yet.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Loons Empty Re: Loons

Post  News Hawk Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 am

WHL wrote:Has anybody heard of or seen any baby loons anywhere?  We haven't seen any in the usual places yet.
Weren't you surprised to read at Winni.com that Loon mortality is at 6% for boat collisions?

Even I thought it was 'way fewer than that—although I witnessed a very close call on a "double" at less than 30-MPH!
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:41 am

I guess I didn't really think about if that was surprising or not.  I have seen some people being pretty reckless and a lot are not watching the water for loons or ducks.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:41 am

WHL wrote:I guess I didn't really think about if that was surprising or not.  I have seen some people being pretty reckless and a lot are not watching the water for loons or ducks.
I videoed an encounter with a Loon and a powerboat moving slowly. Loons come to the surface regardless of the presence of boats. It is then they are most vulnerable. When they take off, it takes a very long time to get airborne, another possible fatal exposure to noisy and powerful boats.

I found another study that showed Loon mortality from boat-strikes at 36%! Surprised

Loons Fullscreencapture728201344417AM_zps1a799208
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:24 am

I have watched and just as a boat gets close to them, they are usually smart enough to dive under.

We did see a baby in Robert's Cove yesterday.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 am

WHL wrote:I have watched and just as a boat gets close to them, they are usually smart enough to dive under.  
They're struck by boats upon surfacing.

Sad 

I reviewed my video, and the boat "going slowly" was towing a tube with a tyke. The loon surfaced adjacent to the tyke. (But, except for the boat, the images were too small to be meaningful).

Yesterday, a Loon was being harassed by a series of gawkers. It tolerated them, but eventually dove.  The Loon resurfaced near me, and I got a shot of him immediately diving away. (Head to left—feet to right).

Notice how far back the feet are.

(Much like a Penguin).

Loons P7260130-001_zpsb62e1395
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down