Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tradition? I spit on tradition! PTUEE!

Go down

Tradition? I spit on tradition! PTUEE! Empty Tradition? I spit on tradition! PTUEE!

Post  fshnski Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:23 am

President Obama has declined an invitation to speak at next month’s ceremony marking the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.

The event, slated for Nov. 19 at the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, instead will feature Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell and renowned historian James McPherson as the keynote speakers, the Gettysburg National Military Park said in a press release.

“President Obama will not attend and the Secretary of Interior will represent the administration,” the park pointed out in the first paragraph of its press release.

It’s unclear why Mr. Obama, a noted admirer of President Lincoln, declined the invitation. Among other tributes to the 16th president, Mr. Obama used the Lincoln Bible at both of his inauguration ceremonies, in 2009 and 2013.

Skipping the event may not make many waves in Washington, but it’s already causing an uproar in Pennsylvania.

Writing for the Harrisburg, Pa., newspaper the Patriot News, journalist Donald Gilliland said the president’s decision “is nothing less than a profile in cowardice.”
“In the end, Barack Obama simply didn’t have the stones. It’s sad. And telling. History will note that Lincoln’s legacy did not live up to the challenge,” he wrote.

The Gettysburg Times reported Thursday that local officials for months have been planning for a potential visit from Mr. Obama.

Other local media clearly have been expecting, and hoping for, the 44th president to mark the occasion in person.

In January, the Hanover Evening Sun newspaper — headquartered just 14 miles from Gettysburg — published an editorial saying that, of the 24 presidents to visit Gettysburg, “perhaps no presidential visit is more appropriate than one by Obama, the nation’s first black commander in chief.”

“What better place for a president to speak to a divided nation anxious to find common ground than the hallowed ground at Gettysburg?” the editorial reads in part.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/obama-no-show-gettysburg-150th-anniversary-fete/#ixzz2jJUqHYu9
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Tradition? I spit on tradition! PTUEE! Empty Re: Tradition? I spit on tradition! PTUEE!

Post  fshnski Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:57 pm

obama only acts Presidential when it is benefits the Democrat's agenda.  He's disregarding the other half of our country.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum