Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't Feed The Eagles...

4 posters

Go down

Don't Feed The Eagles... Empty Don't Feed The Eagles...

Post  News Hawk Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 am

" I was out fishing with my 14 year old nephew early this morning. He caught a nice rainbow...and we released it. Before the fish had a chance to regain consciousness, this eagle came swooping down and picked him out of the water right behind the boat! This time I had my camera ready as I had just taken a picture of my nephew with his fish and caught these pics..."

I was always taught to hold the fish and resusitate by moving it underwater until its strength returned.

Photographs doomed this Rainbow Trout.

No 

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Don't Feed The Eagles... Empty Re: Don't Feed The Eagles...

Post  WHL Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 am

I know. I was surprised when I read that too. I never heard of an unconscious fish before.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Don't Feed The Eagles... Empty Two Faced?

Post  ishoot Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 pm

What's up there APS?.... Why would you thank me along with 28 others for the pics on the winni forum then slam me here about an eagle carrying off a fish???

Someone sent me a copy of this post and I must say APS you have no clue about fish or fishing.

This time of year when the water has warmed it is quite common to catch and release fish that do not swim away right away. THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS HANDLE THEM!! Taking any part of the fish's natural slime off the side off their body by handling them is a huge no no and should only be done as a last resort. The slime coating contains enzymes and antibodies to fight infection. The slime coating acts as a shield against disease causing organisms and should never be touched.

The fish should be released without touching them whatsoever, no matter what you have seen on TV. In 99% of instances and depending on the depth and exhaustion level of the fish, it should normally regain strength and full consciousness within 30 seconds... but you knew that...NOT!!

I have no desire about any continued post here so please do not reply. I am a right wing conservative and probably won't fit in anyway.

See ya!

Dan, from the forum across the pond!

WHL... Hopefully you learned something today as well.

ishoot

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:39 pm

I know what you said about not touching the fish before throwing them back. What I didn't know was they were unconscious when you threw them back in. That is something I have never heard before. Is that really true? When we throw them back in, they usually just swim right away!

A lot of us here are right wing conservatives, ishoot. You would fit in if you are that. Sorry, I just had to reply that we would like you to join us.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Dan, from the forum across the pond! wrote:

Aha--a lurker! from Kathy's forum...

ishoot wrote:What's up there APS?.... Why would you thank me along with 28 others for the pics on the winni forum then slam me here about an eagle carrying off a fish???  

Someone sent me a copy of this post and I must say APS you have no clue about fish or fishing.  

This time of year when the water has warmed it is quite common to catch and release fish that do not swim away right away. THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS HANDLE THEM!! Taking any part of the fish's natural slime off the side off their body by handling them is a huge no no and should only be done as a last resort. The slime coating contains enzymes and antibodies to fight infection. The slime coating acts as a shield against disease causing organisms and should never be touched.

The fish should be released without touching them whatsoever, no matter what you have seen on TV.  In 99% of instances and depending on the depth and exhaustion level of the fish, it should normally regain strength and full consciousness within 30 seconds... but you knew that...NOT!!

I have no desire about any continued post here so please do not reply.  I am a right wing conservative and probably won't fit in anyway.

I only posted the "Thanks" icon for your clear photos of an eagle successfully snatching "a fish" off the surface. I'm a big fan of their coming back from the edge of "Lower-48" extinction.

It was a few moments later I realized that any edible fish--like a rainbow trout--should be resusitated after handling for a photograph.

From Winni.com, I've posted my own technique for releasing a fish: it's to hold the shank of the hook with needlenose pliers, then with a flick of the wrist, drop the fish directly back into the lake. Very seldom have I so much as found the slightest amount of tissue on the barb(s). I'm not in the school of thought that a hook should be left inside a fish's mouth. If it's swallowed, the fish becomes dinner!

See ya!

WHL... Hopefully you learned something today as well.

WHL, doesn't the above read like Lois Lerner?

"I am innocent of all assertions of wrongdoing, so I take The Fifth"

Laughing
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  ishoot Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Hello WHL;

During the summer months the warmer water has a lower oxygen level than spring or late fall. When a salmon or any game fish is caught and brought up from the deeper and cooler water below the thermocline, exhaustion occurs. This exhaustion puts the fish in a very lethargic state until oxygen levels in its body stabilize.  Once stabilized the fish will regain its strength and very quickly swim away.  It is much better to not try and resuscitate fish during this period by handling or massaging as APS has unknowingly and without merit alluded to as handling causes much more harm and should only be done as a last measure and in 99% of instances completely unnecessary.  I'm sure he saw that on some T.V. show or read it on the web somewhere but in real life if he ever did any fishing whatsoever on the big lake he would know better!

Thank you for the invitation to participate here but after further review of this forum I have no desire to trade jabs with APS who is on a VERY short lease on the Winni forum for good reason. Case in point, why wasn't this question posted there???....

If you want true conservatives here who have educated opinions and can get along even with those of opposing views, kill the cancer and let the good cells thrive.  

Until then...

Dan

ishoot

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

I found it interesting that one can post here as a "guest".

Cool 

"Guests" should be aware that this forum is very generous to opinion, as it is a right granted by the Constitution. Even the opinions of those who would strip Americans of their rights are allowed to post here. Nowhere have "true right-wing-conservatives" members stated,

I have no desire about any continued post here so please do not reply.

We exist FOR discussion: this isn't FaceBook!

No 

Regarding the reply we weren't going to get:

Where did I suggest using "massage"?

scratch 

Resusitation is a gentle motion to get water flowing past the gills.

For the good reasons given by "guest", one never uses dry hands to handle a fish. As I stated, I seldom need to touch a fish with my release technique. It's not patented--you can use it!

sunny 

Unfortunately, last year, a huge Lake Trout was similarly abandoned to his fate. I pulled him out as he breathed his last. A beautiful fish, probably also left for the eagles.

Sad 

Don't Feed The Eagles... Attachment
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 am

So they aren't actually unconscious, they are just lethargic. Or are they?

You know, ishoot, you can ignore what you don't like in people's posts. That's what I try to do. NH has strong opinions as most of us do. I often agree with him and often not. For instance, the speed limits, he and I are total opposites on. I bet you would agree with him on a lot of national politics. And if not, you might agree with others here.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 am

WHL wrote:So they aren't actually unconscious, they are just lethargic.  Or are they?  

I think I know "Guest's" problem.

scratch 

We were closer to the water.

I was shown "fish-resuscitation" years ago, before boaters discovered the speed of getting to their fishing grounds. Today, fishermen just "toss" the fish, and cross their fingers (maybe).

pale 
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Don't Feed The Eagles... Empty Take The Pledge!!!!

Post  ishoot Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 am

Thought I would check in.. Unfortunately I find more hurtful disinformation form APS regarding our wonderful fishery resource. Below please find direct from the NHF&G the "Salmon Anglers Pledge".

APS all kidding aside, I hope will read it thoroughly and adhere to it as I find your methods of catch and release very disturbing and hurting the resource which I value so much. To post your release methods in public forum in a manner in which so wrong is simply inexcusable. I underlined the parts for you where you need better understanding.

There's nothing wrong with being an amateur fishermen, just don't come across as a know it all and post bad information which hurts my fishery and the fishery of all those who buy a license!

Take the pledge APS!!!

By pledging to be dedicated stewards, landlocked salmon anglers can make a critical difference in sustaining this valuable fishery.

Dedicated stewards:

Demonstrate a commitment to conserving New Hampshire’s landlocked salmon resources.
Acquire and demonstrate skill in using best practices that minimize impacts to this fishery.
Take the time to observe this valuable resource and reflect on its condition.
Hold themselves accountable and act in an informed, responsible manner.
Pursue opportunities to educate others about landlocked salmon resource issues.
Recognize that resource issues generate differing points of view; while they may not agree with someone else’s perspective, they respect their right to express it.

Conserving this Unique Fishery through Responsible Angling

Catch and release fishing is a valuable tool that can lead to more and bigger fish in the fishery, but just because a fish swims away doesn’t mean that it lives to be caught another day. If you are releasing landlocked salmon, use the following practices to increase the chances that the fish you release is unharmed.

Hooks
The time it takes to remove hooks affects survival rates.

Use hooks you can easily remove from the fish.
Have your hook removing tools easily accessible and ready for quick use.
NEVER shake a fish off the hook.
NEVER unhook a fish suspended in the air.
NEVER sharply pull hooks out while the fish is moving and twisting.

Fight Time
Survival increases when fish are not fought to exhaustion.

If trolling, stop the boat immediately and play the fish quickly to the net.
During the summer months, when surface water temperatures are high, reduce fight time as much as possible.

Handling
Have a plan on how to handle the fish before it’s boated to minimize handling time.

Use rubber or other “fish friendly” landing nets.
If you have to handle the fish, make sure your hands are wet. (Notice how it says "only if you have to"!!)
Minimize the time the fish is out of the water, less than 30 seconds whenever possible.
Never touch the gills as this causes damage and impairs the fish’s ability to breathe.

Selective Harvest
Even if you had planned to release all fish caught, consider harvesting any legal fish that:

Is hooked severely.
Has been fought to exhaustion.
Has been handled excessively after it was landed.
Has sustained a debilitating injury from a previous hook-up.

Voluntary Reduction in Effort
On days when you experience high catch rates, particularly when water surface temperatures are above 70 degrees F, consider limiting your fishing time/trip duration. This is difficult to ask of anglers who have a lot invested in their pursuit of these magnificent fish, but this limited fishery is not capable of sustaining high levels of catch and release fishing during the warmest months of the year.

The bottom line: Landlocked salmon are a limited fishery and increasing fishing pressure combined with the use of advanced fishing technology has profound impacts on this unique resource. Pledge to be a dedicated steward by acquiring and demonstrating skill in using best practices that minimize your impacts to this valuable fishery.

Sport Fish Restoration logoSport Fish Restoration Act
Fisheries management in New Hampshire is funded by the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Program, a user-pay, user-benefit program.

ishoot

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 am

That's a lot of good information Dan. I would add that it applies to all fish, not just salmon.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am

...As an unofficial "Dedicated Steward", I gave up giving pain to all fish when I was 20 years old...

The only fish I've cooked and eaten from Lake Winnipesaukee were dying victims of "Catch and Release".

Rolling Eyes
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Don't Feed The Eagles... Empty Vegetarian??

Post  ishoot Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Ahh, so your a vegetarian...don't believe in eating meat or fish.Suspect  That would explain some of the more liberal views you have. Apparently it has something to do with lack of protein in the diet and how it affects brainwave patterns.lol! 

Anyway, I am glad you no longer fish. Handling fish the way you describe, you had no business being out there on my lake. Stick with sailing and scaring the nesting loons with your sails.

You be good now, cause I will be back in a couple months to check on you! affraid 

Bye bye for now!

ishoot

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm

ishoot wrote:Ahh, so your a vegetarian...don't believe in eating meat or fish. Suspect 

That doesn't follow.

As a student of Logic, you get an "F".

Very Happy 
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  ishoot Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Darn, you caught me before I logged off but geewillickers there APS / Newsbuzzard, you of all people should certainly know that a true "vegetarian", a vegan, avoids all foods of animal origin, including meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, and eggs. You sir get the "F"!

Now get out there and scare some loons but I better not see you with a fishing pole you old curmudgeon!!Evil or Very Mad 

ishoot

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey ishoot. You're not a vegetarian are you? I don't know how people figure out how to have a balanced diet yet be a vegan or any other kind of diet. It just seems like such a chore to me. I admire people who figure it out.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ishoot Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 am

Hi WHL;

Heck no I am not a vegetarian. If you saw me you would realize how funny that is as I am the biggest weight watcher flunky out there!! Laughing  I guess I am lacking a little in the willpower department when it comes to food but I am loving life!!

Have a great day!

ishoot

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am

So what do you think of those new hamburgers that are artificial? I think they are so gross.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Donzel Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:52 am

"It could take at least 10 years before the lab burgers are available for commercial sale—with an estimated cost of about $30 per pound. The verdict from today’s taste test was that the artificial burger was dry and a bit flavorless (likely due to the fact that it contained no fat or salt), although the bite still felt like a conventional burger."

- See more at: Artificial Hamburg

Donzel

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Fine with me-I never want one!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down