Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech.

3 posters

Go down

Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech. Empty Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech.

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:05 pm

It's all the same, blarg blarg Coke or Pepsi, blarg blarg Whopper or Big Mac.

Bush speechwriter: Obama plagiarized Bush

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/01/bush-speechwriter-obama-plagiarized-bush-182184.html

By HADAS GOLD |
1/29/14 12:45 AM EST

President George W. Bush's former speech writer said that President Barack Obama plagiarized his former boss in Tuesday's State of the Union address.

Speaking to Fox News's Megyn Kelly, Marc Thiessen, the lead writer on Bush's 2007 State of the Union address, said he found Obama's speech Tuesday night "eerily familiar."

"Barack Obama has gone from blaming George W. Bush to plagiarizing George W. Bush," Thiessen said.

Thiessen then read phrases from the 2007 speech which focused on the theme "hope and opportunity."

"It was eerily familiar. There were lines like 'Our job is to help Americans build a future of hope and opportunity, a future of hope and opportunity begins with a growing economy, a future of hope and opportunity requires that all citizens have affordable and available healthcare, extending opportunity and hope depends on a stable supply of energy,' all of that came from the 2007 State of the Union from George W. Bush," Thiessen said.

A quick text compare shows that no lines were directly lifted from Bush's 2007 speech in the one Obama gave on Tuesday. There are some minor similarities between the two: Obama use a version of the word "opportunity" more than ten times in his speech, Bush used the word at least eight times. Both speeches also ended with a moving story about a wounded veteran.

In an email, Thiessen said Obama pivoted from the liberal theme of income inequality to a conservative theme of opportunity.

"Of course, [Obama] has a very different understanding of opportunity. He believes the path to opportunity is through more government; conservatives believe the path to opportunity is more enterprise," Thiessen wrote.

Asked if he was actually accusing the president of plagiarism, Thiessen replied, "Seriously? Get some sleep" and linked to a column he wrote in the Washington Post from September, where he said Obama lifted much of a speech about Syria from Bush.

State of the Union speeches often follow similar themes. As our colleague Reid Epstein wrote ahead of Tuesday's speech, "[Obama's] State of the Union remarks, like those of his presidential predecessors over the past two decades or so, have all followed roughly the same template."
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech. Empty Re: Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech.

Post  Achigan Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Why do read this stuff if it bothers you so much.

I would think that you would spend more time getting the three states that you mentioned to secede from the Union. I think it's three anyway.

We know you hate this country so why spend so much energy on this forum telling us about it.

Your forum name says it all... Anti-American.

Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech. Empty Re: Bush speechwriter: Obama's SOTU "eerily familiar" to W's 2007 SOTU speech.

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Achigan wrote:Why do read this stuff if it bothers you so much.

I would think that you would spend more time getting the three states that you mentioned to secede from the Union.  I think it's three anyway.

We know you hate this country so why spend so much energy on this forum telling us about it.

To prove a point to people that may be reading this that are not blind partisan apologists.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 pm

Anti Federalist wrote:

I would think that you would spend more time getting the three states that you mentioned to secede from the Union.  I think it's three anyway.

To prove a point to people that may be reading this that are not blind partisan apologists.

Why would an Anti-American care what is going on in America.  We know how you feel so I would think you would be making your plans to secede from the Union.  What good does it do you to get involved with American politics?  BTW, will you take Justin Bieber with you when your new utopia is finalized.

When a politician says black, you say white.

BLACK...your turn.  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 pm

Achigan wrote:
Anti Federalist wrote:

When a politician says black, you say white.

BLACK...your turn.  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Since a politician can usually be counted on to be lying when he opens his pie hole, then that is a prudent attitude to take.

As I tell friends and family often:

If government told me the sky was blue and the sun rises in the east, I'd argue with them.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 am

Anti doesn't hate this country. He hates the way it is being run. AS he said, some of us aren't blind. Unfortunately all most politicians care about is getting reelected.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down