Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High

+2
Outerlimits
News Buzzard
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High

Post  News Hawk Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 am

WHL wrote:They are pretty good at getting things from wacko websites, NH.  I wouldn't let it bother me.

When "The Drive-By Media" ignores a news story, it's going to get reported—sometimes by Britain's newspapers, and sometimes by bloggers.

I am reminded of Jos. Pulitzer's admonition,

"Our Republic and Its Press will Rise or Fall Together"

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 500x500

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High

Post  obervantone Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:34 pm

"News" hawk
When "The Drive-By Media" ignores a news story, it's going to get reported—sometimes by Britain's newspapers, and sometimes by bloggers.

I am reminded of Jos. Pulitzer's admonition,

"Our Republic and Its Press will Rise or Fall Together
"
It has been my experience that when media ignores a "story" it is because the story is false.  Take for example your insistence that the government is hiding 1400 suspected Ebola patients in isolation.  No one, not even Fox which employs the so-called investigative reporter, has run with the story, why?  Because it is lacking in credibility.

In the "news" hawk world, anything that is written or uttered that coincides with his bias must be the truth and is just being ignored by media and when you are caught in a lie you are just "teasing out" a story. 

Don't worry, the Pulitzer committee has taken notice and you will undoubtedly be contacted soon.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:04 pm

You are SO wrong, O. When the media ignores, it is not because it is false, it is because they want to protect Obama.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 pm

WHL
You are SO wrong, O. When the media ignores, it is not because it is false, it is because they want to protect Obama.
If that were not so sad, and so incorrect, it would be laughable.  
I can assure you, no one in the legitimate media is trying to protect anyone.  
Left or right wing wacko websites/blogs are by no stretch of the imagination legitimate media and certainly NOTHING "news" hawk posts is legitimate.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:04 pm

You deny that the mainstream protects Obama?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:22 am

WHL
You deny that the mainstream protects Obama?
Yes.  

If you have proof to the contrary I'd love to see it.  Not speculation or opinions on wacko websites, but hard core proof.  

Emails/documents from editors/publishers/broadcasters telling reporters to go easy.  Emails/documents from the government to media owners doing the same.

Proof

The same offer I made to "news" hawk regarding his claim that more than 6% of the mid term election vote was fraudulent I am now making to you.
If you prove your claim, with hard evidence, I will break the story nationally.  

In other words, put up or shut up.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 am

I can't believe you are so blind O. Just google mainstream media protects Obama and you will get lot of articles of how the mainstream protects him. Of course you won't like any of them, you will say they are all right wing, even if they aren't. Here is one:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/opinion/readers/2014/11/25/letter-mainstream-media-protecting-obama/70089766/
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:43 pm

WHL
I can't believe you are so blind O. Just google mainstream media protects Obama and you will get lot of articles of how the mainstream protects him. Of course you won't like any of them, you will say they are all right wing, even if they aren't. Here is one:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/opinion/readers/2014/11/25/letter-mainstream-media-protecting-obama/70089766/
A letter to the editor...you consider THAT hard evidence? 
So your answer is that no, you do not have any hard evidence to back up your claim just more unsubstantiated opinion.
Glad I didn't miss the memo.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 pm

There are tons of ARTICLES on the subject. Look for yourself, but no, you won't, because you don't WANT to find out the TRUTH.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Candy Crowley, Stephanopolis, to name two who interceded in behalf of Obama.

But, not every Media...!

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Front3

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:47 pm

WHL
There are tons of ARTICLES on the subject. Look for yourself, but no, you won't, because you don't WANT to find out the TRUTH.
Let's get this straight.  Your argument is that the media is protecting Obama and won't report anything negative, then you tell me that there are tons of articles on the subject and in the post between ours, "news" hawk posts a front page copy of the NY Post that contradicts your argument.

Then instead of offering hard evidence on the subject after I told you that if you could produce it I'd break the story nationally you send me a link to a letter to the editor.

Are you seeing your problem with credibility yet?
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:43 am

I said the MAIN STREAM MEDIA. Don't you know the difference?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty "...With NO Story to "Break"...!

Post  News Hawk Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:24 am

obervantone wrote:"...Your argument is that the media is protecting Obama and won't report anything negative, then you tell me that there are tons of articles on the subject..."

Then instead of offering hard evidence on the subject after I told you that if you could produce it I'd break the story nationally you send me a link to a letter to the editor.

Another "fool's errand", when tons  of books have been written on the subject.

Bernard Goldberg took 250 pages to write of MSM bias in one of four books he wrote on the subject:

Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News is a non-fiction book by Bernard Goldberg, a 28-year veteran CBS news reporter and producer, giving detailed examples of what he calls liberal bias in television news reporting. It was published in 2001 by Regnery Publishing[1] and reached number 1 on The New York Times Best Seller list in the non-fiction category.[2][3]
—Wikipedia

Sharyl Attkinson—no dummy!  Shocked

In 2006, Attkisson served as Capitol Hill correspondent for CBS,[11] as one of a small number of female anchors covering the 2006 midterms.[12] Attkisson was part of the CBS News team that received RTNDA-Edward R. Murrow Awards in 2008 for Overall Excellence.[8]

In 2008, Attkisson said that a claim by Hillary Clinton to have dodged sniper fire in Bosnia was unfounded: Clinton's trip to Bosnia was risky, she said, but no real bullets were dodged.[13]

On March 10, 2014, Attkisson resigned from CBS News.[21] She stated that the parting was "amicable". [22]

Politico reported, however, that according to sources within CBS there had been tensions leading to "months of hard-fought negotiations" -- that Attkisson had been frustrated over what she perceived to be the network's liberal bias and lack of dedication to investigative reporting, as well as issues she had with the network’s corporate partners, while some within the network saw her reporting as agenda-driven and doubted her impartiality.[22]

In May 2013, while still employed at CBS, Attkisson alleged that her personal and work computers had been "compromised" for more than two years.[24] CBS News investigated and found evidence of multiple unauthorized accesses by a third party in late 2012.[25] The U.S. Department of Justice denied any involvement.[26] In her 2014 book, she alleged that her personal computer was hacked with keystroke logging spyware, enabling an intruder to read all her e-mails and gain the passwords to her financial accounts.[27] In October 2014, just before the publication of her book, Attkisson released a video that she said corroborated her allegations of having her computer hacked.[28]
However, some liberal commentators and security experts have suggested that the video appears only to show that the delete key or the backspace key on her keyboard was stuck.[29]
(Who are you going to believe?)
scratch

—Wikipedia

The disclosure that Hillary! was NOT shot at during her SoS visit to Bosnia must have been the clincher that put CBS' Sharyl Attkinson in the penalty box.

Rolling Eyes

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 am

No matter what you say, he will twist it around, NH. I don't know why we bother.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:41 pm

"news" hawk
Another "fool's errand", when tons of books have been written on the subject.
ANOTHER case of making the claim without being able to back it up. BTW The NY Post would be interested to know that you do not consider it mainstream media.
With those TONS of books, NOT ONE contains any hard evidence in the form of emails or memos from management to staff, or government to ownership, to lay off Obama. Why? Because it did not happen.

So you go one believing any wacko with a keyboard and being among the group of the most uninformed people in the country.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:13 pm

obervantone wrote:So you go one believing any wacko with a keyboard and being among the group of the  most uninformed people in the country.

That's why I call it the Forum Of Gloom!!
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 pm

News Buzzard wrote:That's why I call it the Forum Of Gloom!!

Please be sure to advise us when Obama's approval rating hits a 21st month high.

Rolling Eyes

WHL wrote:No matter what you say, he will twist it around, NH.  I don't know why we bother.

Especially the part that stated Obamacare was a total and unmitigated failure.

No mention of Candy Crowley applauding Obama while she throws the debate, or Stephanopolis' when Obama says, "My Muslim faith".

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Obama-candy-crowley-bias

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Obama-and-stephanopoulos

Hillary dodged bullets as SoS—don't you know?

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 A

It's all in print for those whose minds can accept the truth.  Oo would like to have sole critique powers on this book—but he's been Grubered...:

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Sharyl-Attkisson-Stonewalled-198x300

No
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Why did she "give up" a 20 year cafreer at CBS again? Oh yeah, she didn't give it up, she was given the chance to resign rather than have CBS refuse to renew her contract.
Attkisson’s reporting on the Obama administration, which some staffers characterized as agenda-driven, had led network executives to doubt the impartiality of her reporting
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty Attkinsson Leaned on the Democrap Party—She Had to Go...

Post  News Hawk Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:25 am

obervantone wrote:Why did she "give up" a 20 year career at CBS again?  Oh yeah, she didn't give it up, she was given the chance to resign rather than have CBS refuse to renew her contract.
Attkisson’s reporting on the Obama administration, which some staffers characterized as agenda-driven, had led network executives to doubt the impartiality of her reporting
Yup. She was partial to investigational news stories that were critical of Obama.

CBS’s Sharyl Attkisson announced this week that she is leaving the network, the culmination of a series of clashes between the investigative reporter and her bosses.

But people familiar with the situation say that Attkisson actually attempted to resign one year ago, even starting to clean out her desk in the Washington bureau.  

CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager talked her out of leaving last March, promising that some of the issues she had raised would be addressed.

Based on these assurances, Attkisson returned to work full time and dropped efforts to terminate her contract.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/13/sharyl-attkisson-vs-cbs-reporter-first-tried-to-quit-year-ago/

Attkisson, who has been with CBS News for two decades, had grown frustrated with what she saw as the network's liberal bias, an outsized influence by the network's corporate partners and a lack of dedication to investigative reporting, several sources said. She increasingly felt like her work was no longer supported and that it was a struggle to get her reporting on air.

At the same time, Attkisson's own reporting on the Obama administration, which some staffers characterized as agenda-driven, had led network executives to doubt the impartiality of her reporting. She is currently at work on a book -- tentatively titled "Stonewalled: One Reporter's Fight for Truth in Obama's Washington" -- which addresses the challenges of reporting critically on the Obama administration.
—Politico

As noted above, Attkisson has been at CBS for two decades. During her time at the network, she has heavily scrutinized both Democrat and Republican administrations. Back in 2008, Attkisson debunked Hillary Clinton's infamous claim that she dodged sniper fire in Bosnia. During the Bush administration, Attkisson won an Emmy for her reporting on shady Republican fundraising. In 2012, she won an Edward R. Murrow award and an Emmy for her reporting on Operation Fast and Furious. She has been equally critical of both political parties in Washington D.C.

This is an incredible loss for CBS and no doubt another network's gain. Hopefully she'll land at a place where her important work will be aired and promoted.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/03/10/breaking-investigative-reporter-sharyl-attkisson-resigns-from-cbs-news-n1806639

Is it any wonder that we have to go to Britain to find the latest in our news?

Question

Is it any wonder that CBS' nickname is "SeeBS".

Question

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:46 am

Point made. Fire those who work for you who criticize Obamam.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:29 am

FOX News is the most hostile and inaccurate example of the MSM.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty Or Is It Your "Bubble"...?

Post  News Hawk Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:59 pm

News Buzzard wrote:FOX News is the most hostile and inaccurate example of the MSM.

Your source?

Rolling Eyes

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:17 am

Really?  Since you love unnamed sources how about this...from a Fox "news" insider:
We were a Stalin-esque mouthpiece
Asked what most viewers and observers of Fox News would be surprised to learn about the controversial cable channel, a former insider from the world of Rupert Murdoch was quick with a response: "I don't think people would believe it's as concocted as it is; that stuff is just made up."

Indeed, a former Fox News employee who recently agreed to talk with Media Matters confirmed what critics have been saying for years about Murdoch's cable channel. Namely, that Fox News is run as a purely partisan operation, virtually every news story is actively spun by the staff, its primary goal is to prop up Republicans and knock down Democrats, and that staffers at Fox News routinely operate without the slightest regard for fairness or fact checking.

"It is their M.O. to undermine the administration and to undermine Democrats," says the source. "They're a propaganda outfit but they call themselves news."

And that's the word from inside Fox News.

Note the story here isn't that Fox News leans right. Everyone knows the channel pushes a conservative-friendly version of the news. Everyone who's been paying attention has known that since the channel's inception more than a decade ago. The real story, and the real danger posed by the cable outlet, is that over time Fox News stopped simply leaning to the right and instead became an open and active political player, sort of one-part character assassin and one-part propagandist, depending on which party was in power. And that the operation thrives on fabrications and falsehoods.

"They say one thing and do another. They insist on maintaining this charade, this façade, that they're balanced or that they're not right-wing extreme propagandist," says the source. But it's all a well-orchestrated lie, according this former insider. It's a lie that permeates the entire Fox News culture and one that staffers and producers have to learn quickly in order to survive professionally.

"You have to work there for a while to understand the nods and the winks," says the source. "And God help you if you don't because sooner or later you're going to get burned."

The source explains:

"Like any news channel there's lot of room for non-news content. The content that wasn't 'news,' they didn't care what we did with as long as it was amusing or quirky or entertaining; as along as it brought in eyeballs. But anything—anything--that was a news story you had to understand what the spin should be on it. If it was a big enough story it was explained to you in the morning [editorial] meeting. If it wasn't explained, it was up to you to know the conservative take on it. There's a conservative take on every story no matter what it is. So you either get told what it is or you better intuitively know what it is."

What if Fox News staffers aren't instinctively conservative or don't have an intuitive feeling for what the spin on a story should be? "My internal compass was to think like an intolerant meathead," the source explains. "You could never error on the side of not being intolerant enough."

The source recalls how Fox News changed over time:

"When I first got there back in the day, and I don't know how they indoctrinate people now, but back in the day when they were "training" you, as it were, they would say, 'Here's how we're different.' They'd say if there is an execution of a condemned man at midnight and there are all the live truck outside the prison and all the lives shots. CNN would go, 'Yes, tonight John Jackson, 25 of Mississippi, is going to die by lethal injection for the murder of two girls.' MSNBC would say the same thing.

"We would come out and say, 'Tonight, John Jackson who kidnapped an innocent two year old, raped her, sawed her head off and threw it in the school yard, is going to get the punishment that a jury of his peers thought he should get.' And they say that's the way we do it here. And you're going , alright, it's a bit of an extreme example but it's something to think about. It's not unreasonable.

"When you first get in they tell you we're a bit of a counterpart to the screaming left wing lib media. So automatically you have to buy into the idea that the other media is howling left-wing. Don't even start arguing that or you won't even last your first day.

"For the first few years it was let's take the conservative take on things. And then after a few years it evolved into, well it's not just the conservative take on things, we're going to take the Republican take on things which is not necessarily in lock step with the conservative point of view.

"And then two, three, five years into that it was, we're taking the Bush line on things, which was different than the GOP. We were a Stalin-esque mouthpiece. It was just what Bush says goes on our channel. And by that point it was just totally dangerous. Hopefully most people understand how dangerous it is for a media outfit to be a straight, unfiltered mouthpiece for an unchecked president."

It's worth noting that Fox News employees, either current or former, rarely speak to the press, even anonymously. And it's even rarer for Fox News sources to bad mouth Murdoch's channel. That's partly because of strict non-disclosure agreements that most exiting employees sign and which forbid them from discussing their former employer. But it also stems from a pervasive us-vs.-them attitude that permeates Fox News. It's a siege mentality that network boss Roger Ailes encourages, and one that colors the coverage his team produces.

"It was a kick ass mentality too," says the former Fox News insider. "It was relentless and it never went away. If one controversy faded, goddamn it they would find another one. They were in search of these points of friction real or imagined. And most of them were imagined or fabricated. You always have to seem to be under siege. You always have to seem like your values are under attack. The brain trust just knew instinctively which stories to do, like the War on Christmas."

According to the insider, Ailes is obsessed with presenting a unified Fox News front to the outside world; an obsession that may explain Ailes' refusal to publically criticize or even critique his own team regardless of how outlandish their on-air behavior. "There may be internal squabbles. But what [Ailes] continually preaches is never piss outside the tent," says the source. "When he gets really crazy is when stuff leaks out the door. He goes mental on that. He can't stand that. He says in a dynamic enterprise like a network newsroom there's going to be in fighting and ego, but he says keep it in the house."

It's clear that Fox News has become a misleading, partisan outlet. But here's what the source stresses: Fox News is designed to mislead its viewers and designed to engage in a purely political enterprise.

In 2010, all sorts of evidence tumbled out to confirm that fact, like the recently leaked emails from inside Fox News, in which a top editor instructed his newsroom staffers (not just the opinion show hosts) to slant the news when reporting on key stories such as climate change and health care reform.

Meanwhile, Media Matters revealed that during the 2009-2010 election cycle, dozens of Fox News personalities endorsed, raised money, or campaigned for Republican candidates or organizations in more than 600 instances. And in terms of free TV airtime that Fox News handed over to GOP hopefuls, Media Matters calculated the channel essentially donated $55 million worth of airtime to Republican presidential hopefuls last year who also collect Fox News paychecks.

And of course, that's when Murdoch wasn't writing $1 million checks in the hopes of electing more Republican politicians.

So, Fox News as a legitimate news outlet? The source laughs at the suggestion, and thinks much of the public, along with the Beltway press corps, has been duped by Murdoch's marketing campaign over the years. "People assume you need a license to call yourself a news channel. You don't. So because they call themselves Fox News, people probably give them a pass on a lot of things," says the source.

The source continues: "I don't think people understand that it's an organization that's built and functions by intimidation and bullying, and its goal is to prop up and support Republicans and the GOP and to knock down Democrats. People tend think that stuff that's on TV is real, especially under the guise of news. You'd think that people would wise up, but they don't."

As for the press, the former Fox News employee gives reporters and pundits low grades for refusing, over the years, to call out Fox News for being the propaganda outlet that it so clearly is. The source suggests there are a variety of reasons for the newsroom timidity.

"They don't have enough staff or enough balls or don't have enough money or don't have enough interest to spend the time it takes to expose Fox News. Or it's not worth the trouble. If you take on Fox, they'll kick you in the ass," says the source. "I'm sure most [journalists] know that. It's not worth being Swift Boated for your effort," a reference to how Fox News traditionally attacks journalists who write, or are perceived to have written, anything negative things about the channel.

The former insider admits to being perplexed in late 2009 when the Obama White House called out Murdoch's operation as not being a legitimate new source, only to have major Beltway media players rush to the aid of Fox News and admonish the White House for daring to criticize the cable channel.

"That blew me away," says the source, who stresses the White House's critique of Fox News "happens to be true."
-Media Matters
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty ...But wait, there's more!

Post  obervantone Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:52 am

Just to make sure our viewers think it is a government run health care that Obama is pushing, let's not call it the public option, let's refer to it as the government run option!
LEAKED EMAIL: Fox boss caught slanting news reporting
Blog ››› December 9, 2010 7:31 AM EST ››› BEN DIMIERO

At the height of the health care reform debate last fall, Bill Sammon, Fox News' controversial Washington managing editor, sent a memo directing his network's journalists not to use the phrase "public option."

Instead, Sammon wrote, Fox's reporters should use "government option" and similar phrases -- wording that a top Republican pollster had recommended in order to turn public opinion against the Democrats' reform efforts.

Journalists on the network's flagship news program, Special Report with Bret Baier, appear to have followed Sammon's directive in reporting on health care reform that evening.

Sources familiar with the situation in Fox's Washington bureau have told Media Matters that Sammon uses his position as managing editor to "slant" Fox's supposedly neutral news coverage to the right. Sammon's "government option" email is the clearest evidence yet that Sammon is aggressively pushing Fox's reporting to the right -- in this case by issuing written orders to his staff.

As far back as March 2009, Fox personalities had sporadically referred to the "government option."

Two months prior to Sammon's 2009 memo, Republican pollster Frank Luntz appeared on Sean Hannity's August 18 Fox News program. Luntz scolded Hannity for referring to the "public option" and encouraged Hannity to use "government option" instead.

Luntz argued that "if you call it a 'public option,' the American people are split," but that "if you call it the 'government option,' the public is overwhelmingly against it." Luntz explained that the program would be "sponsored by the government" and falsely claimed that it would also be "paid for by the government."

"You know what," Hannity replied, "it's a great point, and from now on, I'm going to call it the government option."

On October 26, 2009, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced the inclusion of a public insurance option that states could opt out of in the Senate's health care bill.

That night, Special Report used "public" and "government" interchangeably when describing the public option provision.

Anchor Bret Baier referred to "a so-called public option"; the "public option"; "government-provided insurance coverage"; "this government-run insurance option"; the "healthcare public option"; and "the government-run option, the public option." Correspondent Shannon Bream referred to "a government-run public option"; "a public option"; "a government-run option"; and "the public option."

The next morning, October 27, Sammon sent an email to the staffs of Special Report, Fox News Sunday, and FoxNews.com, as well as to other reporters and producers at the network. The subject line read: "friendly reminder: let's not slip back into calling it the 'public option.' "

Sammon instructed staff to refer on air to "government-run health insurance," the "government option," "the public option, which is the government-run plan," or -- when "necessary" -- "the so-called public option":

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:23 AM
To: 054 -FNSunday; 169 -SPECIAL REPORT; 069 -Politics; 030 -Root (FoxNews.Com); 036 -FOX.WHU; 050 -Senior Producers; 051 -Producers
Subject: friendly reminder: let's not slip back into calling it the "public option"

1) Please use the term "government-run health insurance" or, when brevity is a concern, "government option," whenever possible.

2) When it is necessary to use the term "public option" (which is, after all, firmly ensconced in the nation's lexicon), use the qualifier "so-called," as in "the so-called public option."

3) Here's another way to phrase it: "The public option, which is the government-run plan."

4) When newsmakers and sources use the term "public option" in our stories, there's not a lot we can do about it, since quotes are of course sacrosanct.

Fox's senior vice president for news, Michael Clemente, soon replied. He thanked Sammon for his email and said that he preferred Fox staffers use Sammon's third phrasing: "The public option, which is the government-run plan."

To: Sammon, Bill; 054 -FNSunday; 169 -SPECIAL REPORT; 069 -Politics; 030 -Root (FoxNews.Com); 036 -FOX.WHU; 050 -Senior Producers; 051 -Producers
Sent: Tue Oct 27 08:45:29 2009
Subject: RE: friendly reminder: let's not slip back into calling it the "public option"

Thank you Bill

#3 on your list is the preferred way to say it, write it, use it.

Michael Clemente

SVP-News

212.XXX.XXXX

Sammon's email appears to have had an impact. On the October 27 Special Report -- unlike on the previous night's broadcast -- Fox journalists made no references to the "public option" without using versions of the pre-approved qualifiers outlined in Sammon's and Clemente's emails.

Reporting on health care reform that night, Baier referenced the public option three times. In each instance, he referred to it as "government-run health insurance" or a "government-run health insurance option" -- precisely echoing the first wording choice laid out by Sammon.

On the same show, correspondent Jim Angle referred to "a government insurance plan, the so-called public option"; "a government insurance option"; and "a government insurance plan."

The wording of Sammon's email -- a "friendly reminder" not to "slip back into calling it the 'public option' " -- suggests that someone in the Fox News chain of command had previously issued similar instructions.

And indeed, the issue had surfaced before in Fox's newscasts.

On the September 3, 2009, Special Report -- three weeks after Luntz told Hannity to call it the "government option" -- Baier discussed the potential inclusion of a public option during the show's nightly commentary segment.

During the segment -- after Baier himself had referred to a "public option" -- NPR's Mara Liasson also referred several times to the "public option," prompting Baier to interrupt her to clarify that it is the "government-run option of health insurance."

As the conversation continued, The Washington Post's Charles Krauthammer and The Weekly Standard's Steve Hayes both used "public option." When Liasson mentioned a "triggered public option," Baier again interrupted, asking, "Should we say 'government option,' by the way?"

"Government option, OK," replied Liasson.

"Everybody gets it," Baier explained.

On-screen text during the segment also used "Government Option

Fox executives regularly defend the network by claiming that the right-wing propaganda on Hannity and its other opinion shows is entirely separate from its news programming, which they insist is objective. But Sammon's email gives credence to allegations that news from Fox's Washington bureau is being deliberately distorted to benefit conservatives and the Republican Party.

In October, Media Matters reported that sources with knowledge of the situation had raised concerns about the direction of Fox's Washington bureau under Sammon, who took over as managing editor in February 2009:

"[There is] more pressure from Sammon to slant news to the right or to tell people how to report news, doing it in a more brutish way," one source with knowledge of the situation said. "A lot of the reporters are conservative and are glad to pick up news. But there is a point at which it is no longer reporting, but distorting things."

"[Former Fox News Washington managing editor] Brit Hume was also encouraging people to look at things with other points of view. Brit was smart to see that a lot of mainstream media ignore certain points of view," the source added. "That was a smart and effective way to build the Fox brand.

"But if you come in to say, 'ignore points of view and ignore facts,' then you are straying away from being a legitimate news reporter."

Asked about the first source's allegation, a second source with knowledge of the situation said, "I wouldn't disagree with it from this standpoint: Brit was the 800-pound gorilla who could pick up the phone and say he will not do that. Bill Sammon is no 800-pound gorilla within the organization. He doesn't have that much sway."

The second source also said of Sammon, "He is not going to buck the bosses in New York. The D.C. bureau chief [Brian Boughton] and managing editor in D.C. [Sammon] are not as powerful as they once were. They are not going to raise objections and fight hard. They will just pass on the message."

Since then, a Fox source has told Media Matters:

"People are allowed to have opinions when they espouse opinions. But when news is being tampered with, you have to worry. I keep hearing things from staffers about Sammon."

"I think Sammon comes up with this himself. It takes a conservative slant; it is his news judgment. If things are being classed as news that aren't, that is a problem."

Media Matters contacted Sammon, Clemente, and two Fox spokespeople for comment and we have not received a response.

Update:

Sammon spoke to The Daily Beast's Howard Kurtz about the leaked email and reportedly told him:

Sammon said in an interview that the term "public option" "is a vague, bland, undescriptive phrase," and that after all, "who would be against a public park?" The phrase "government-run plan," he said, is "a more neutral term," and was used just last week by a New York Times columnist.

"I have no idea what the Republicans were pushing or not. It's simply an accurate, fair, objective term."

Joe Strupp, Jeremy Schulman, and other Media Matters staff contributed to this report.
-Media Matters
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Obama's Approval Rating Hits 20 Month High - Page 2 Empty You Wanted Big Lies...? Compare FOX with The New York Times...

Post  News Hawk Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:32 am

We were a Stalin-esque mouthpiece.

Not like the New York Times, when a Pulitzer Prize was awarded The New York Times' Moscow correspondent Walter Duranty for Stalin's crushing Ukraine peasants under the boot of the Bolsheviks, leaving millions of Stalin's own citizens dead from starvation:

Short, unattractive, hobbling about Stalin's Moscow on a wooden leg, Walter Duranty was an unlikely candidate for the world's most famous foreign correspondent. Yet for almost twenty years his articles filled the front page of The New York Times with gripping coverage of the aftermath of the Russian Revolution. A witty, engaging, impish character with a flamboyant life-style, he was a Pulitzer Prize winner, the individual most credited with helping to win U.S. recognition for the Soviet regime, and the reporter who had predicted the success of the Bolshevik state when all others claimed it was doomed. But, as S.J. Taylor reveals in this provocative biography, Walter Duranty played a key role in perpetrating some of the greatest lies history has ever known.

Stalin's Apologist deftly unfolds the story of this accomplished but sordid and tragic life."
http://www.amazon.com/Stalins-Apologist-Walter-Duranty-Timess/dp/0195057007

This book is listed at Amazon as one of "The Best Books of 2014".

You won't see me defending The New York Times.

No

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next