Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue?

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue?

Post  Anti Federalist Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:11 pm

obervantone wrote:
AF
You want arbitrary "analysis" of a person's mental state prior to exercising a constitutionally protected right.

Sounds like a good idea.

Let me start with you before you exercise your right to free speech.

See, because I think people that want to restrict people's rights based on government psychiatric reports are dangerous lunatics.
Actually I asked what YOUR solution is:
if mental health should not be a consideration in the purchase or ownership of guns, then what is your solution?

So far instead of outlining a solution, this is all you have posted
"It is what it is"
Like most conservatives, good at complaining but short on constructive solutions to a problem...but God forbid the issue be studied by the CDC or anyone else.

My solution is freedom.

NH is arguably the most free state in the country.

We enjoy the highest, or one of the highest, standards of living, lowest crime rate, low suicide rate, highest longevity.

I maintain that it is freedom that contributes to that.

The more you "crack down" on people, the more you regulate and control them, the more you push them into untenable positions, you leave more and more of these people having, to them, no way out.

I, unlike statists like yourself, view people as valuable individuals, not a roiling, faceless, mobbing mass of humanity, to be studied, poked, prodded and regulated like cattle by our "rulers".
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue?

Post  News Hawk Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:48 pm

obervantone wrote:"...Like most conservatives, all we hear from you is don't...don't...don't...and no...no...no...good at complaining but short on constructive solutions to a problem...but God forbid the issue be studied by the CDC or anyone else.
Why should there be "constructive" solutions? The family survivors of Charlie Hebdo would wish that there were more "concealed-carry" men and women. Are you safer in a shopping mall that has signs that read: "Gun-Free Zone"?

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Tumblr_m7j1jxhHDJ1qky4nho1_500

drunken

News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm

Right, I'm sure that these kids and teachers agree with you both completely.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/adam-lanza-newtown-school-shooter-report-reveals-new-details-about-lanzas-history/
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:19 am

obervantone wrote:Right, I'm sure that these kids and teachers agree with you both completely.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/adam-lanza-newtown-school-shooter-report-reveals-new-details-about-lanzas-history/

What level of surveillance and control are you willing to accept?

Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:16 am

obervantone wrote:Right, I'm sure that these kids and teachers agree with you both completely.
Lanza was known to be suffering from OCD. Should everyone with OCD be prohibited from owning a gun—or, for that matter, an ocean-racer?

scratch

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:26 pm

News Hawk wrote:
Lanza was known to be suffering from OCD. Should everyone with OCD be prohibited from owning a gun—or, for that matter, an ocean-racer?

scratch

I'm guessing they want them locked up somewhere.

Which is funny, considering it was the left that (rightly so imo) made such a stink about forced committals back in the 1960s and 1970s.

Jerry Rivers (Geraldo) launched his career exposing the notorious Bellevue hospital in NYC.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

It went well beyond OCD
The Office of Child Advocate, which investigates all child deaths in the state, concluded that "weaknesses and lapses in the educational and healthcare systems' response and untreated mental illness played in Adam Lanza's deterioration
The report notes that Lanza suffered from "significant developmental challenges from earliest childhood" and his preoccupation with violence appeared to go unaddressed by the school system and even his parents.
Authorities found violence-lanced writings and an arsenal of weapons in the Newtown home where he lived his mother, Nancy Lanza, and spent long hours playing shooter video games.
The Yale Child Study Center, which evaluated Lanza at age 14, recommended that Lanza receive "extensive special education supports, ongoing expert consultation, and rigorous therapeutic supports embedded into (his) daily life."

Those recommendations, the report said, went largely unheeded
Again, I point out that your only "solutions" to make these types of things much more difficult in the future are
"It is what it is" and "Freedom".
I'm certain that if God forbid you or your family were the victims of a person with mental illness going on a rampage with a gun, that your opinion would change, would it not?
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Empty 'Glad I Wasn't One of Many Passengers...

Post  News Hawk Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:44 pm

The CDC is a little busy right now...

An airline passenger whose trip originated out of Sierra Leone and ended at Newark Airport has been transported to Hackensack University Medical Center after she began vomiting and exhibiting a fever, a source familiar with the response says.

The United Airlines passenger, who connected in Brussels before landing in New Jersey, was reported to have a fever and was vomiting, the source said."
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Newark-Airlines-Passenger-Fever-Vomiting-Hospital-289068411.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Vomiting - check
Fever — check
Health care worker - check
Treated Ebola patients - check
Flying in from Sierra Leone - check

Shocked

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Empty Canadian's Gun Saves Owner from Machete Wielder (Video at link).

Post  News Hawk Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 am

"Lower murder rates in New Hampshire, compared to the eastern Canadian Provinces."

(Most US murders involve drugs).

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/machete-vs-firearm/3998897878001

Didn't know that about Canada.

Shocked

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Most of the guns used in mass shootings were obtained LEGALLY
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map
As I recall during the speed limit debate "news" hawk went back to the 60's in order to show that Lake Winnipesaukee was a deadly place to boat, and even then could not come up with more than a very small number of fatal boating accidents. Yet you are willing to accept this kind of carnage and shrug it off. Yep, freedom for everyone....except the people you don't like.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Shooting

obervantone wrote:Most of the guns used in mass shootings were obtained LEGALLY
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map
As long as gang-bangers have girlfriends, there will be an endless supply of legally obtained firearms.

obervantone wrote:As I recall during the speed limit debate "news" hawk went back to the 60's in order to show that Lake Winnipesaukee was a deadly place to boat, and even then could not come up with more than a very small number of fatal boating accidents.  Yet you are willing to accept this kind of carnage and shrug it off.   Yep, freedom for everyone....except the people you don't like.

It was the 1970s that produced the very worst ocean-racer crash (into somebody's Winnipesaukee dwelling in Gilford). Such awful wrecks are fairly common in Florida's many canals. One Floridian is still serving his 84-year sentence!   Shocked

More, from the CDC itself:

In 2010, the last year for which there are available mortality figures, there were more poisoning deaths than there were motor vehicle deaths. There were fewer firearms deaths than either motor vehicle deaths or poisonings.

Motor vehicle - 35,332
Poisoning - 42,917
Firearms - 31,672 (including 19,392 suicides)

Firearms suicides were just over 61% of all firearms deaths.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/n...

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Another shooting today...this one at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.  

From an unconfirmed report that I have seen, the shooter, who has critically wounded a doctor, had a gun license.  And Massachusetts has some pretty strict gun laws.  

We don't need no stinking criteria for mental health to buy or own guns!
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:39 pm

obervantone wrote:I'm certain that if God forbid you or your family were the victims of a person with mental illness going on a rampage with a gun, that your opinion would change, would it not?

It already has, if you must know, and my opinion remains unchanged, in fact, it became even stronger in the wake of that event.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:41 pm

obervantone wrote: From an unconfirmed report that I have seen, the shooter, who has critically wounded a doctor, had a gun license.  And Massachusetts has some pretty strict gun laws.

Which only goes to prove that "laws" are worthless.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 am

YES!!!!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:53 am

obervantone wrote:Another shooting today...this one at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.  

From an unconfirmed report that I have seen, the shooter, who has critically wounded a doctor, had a gun license.  And Massachusetts has some pretty strict gun laws.  

We don't need no stinking criteria for mental health to buy or own guns!

The criminal had a emotional gripe with the doctor: do you think he would not have attempted killing of the surgeon with some different weapon?

People have committed suicide using a nail gun—bought in any hardware store...

scratch

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:52 am

AF

obervantone wrote:
I'm certain that if God forbid you or your family were the victims of a person with mental illness going on a rampage with a gun, that your opinion would change, would it not?

It already has, if you must know, and my opinion remains unchanged, in fact, it became even stronger in the wake of that event.
Someone with a mental illness killed someone you knew or loved and you are still defending the arming of the mentally ill?  I feel sorry for you but I don't want a crazy whacked out F%$k that was able to get a gun living next to me.  Someone rational that has gone though training, fine, but I don't want any W-O-F with mental issues that has a gun living near me, thank you anyway.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:04 pm

New York has declared 34,500 citizens as "unstable", and have blocked their access to firearms.

What sort of process did they use? Nobody seems to know.

scratch

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/20/new-york-bans-gun-ownership-for-34500-citizens-without-due-process/

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:34 pm

obervantone wrote:
AF

obervantone wrote:

Someone with a mental illness killed someone you knew or loved and you are still defending the arming of the mentally ill?  I feel sorry for you but I don't want a crazy whacked out F%$k that was able to get a gun living next to me.  Someone rational that has gone though training, fine, but I don't want any W-O-F with mental issues that has a gun living near me, thank you anyway.

Yes, they did, as a result of dropping off prescription "happy pills" in a rapid manner.

And yes I am. It falls under the "I'd rather a 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to prison" school of thought. A school of thought that was once the mainstream and majority opinion here in AmeriKa, sadly, not so much anymore.

Thankfully, in what's left of a free republic, you do not get to decide who has rights and who does not based on your "feelings".

Rational, reasonable, and routine are the weasel words of slave masters.

You claimed you wanted nothing more to do with this site, months ago, when you found my words, which were/are nothing more than a re-phrasing of the words in the Declaration of Independence, to be "irrational" and borderline "criminal".

Last edited by Anti Federalist on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm

News Hawk wrote:New York has declared 34,500 citizens as "unstable", and have blocked their access to firearms.

What sort of process did they use? Nobody seems to know.

scratch

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/20/new-york-bans-gun-ownership-for-34500-citizens-without-due-process/

Exactly, just like the "no fly lists".

Suddenly you find yourself on a "list", your rights are restricted, you have no idea how you got there, how to get off and what sort of ramifications that it may have in other parts of your life, all based on some nameless, faceless apparatchik's say so.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:51 pm

AF
"I'd rather a 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to prison" school of thought
The problem with that "school of thought" is that that one can kill that 100
You claimed you wanted nothing more to do with this site, months ago.
You're right I did and I tried to get my login deleted but the owner of the site refused, so I'll try again.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Why hasn't the CDC studied Gun Violence as a public health issue? - Page 2 Empty Update...Firearms can be helpful...

Post  News Hawk Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 pm

European Law Enforcement Agencies: On Second Thought, Maybe Firearms Would Be Helpful

When witnesses in the same building as Charlie Hebdo saw masked men with heavy weaponry enter the building they called police, like anyone in their position would do. But the three unarmed officers on bikes who showed up proved to be most unhelpful in the situation.

According to the witness, the officers had to retreat after seeing the men were heavily armed.

That wasn’t the only instance during the three-day terror spree where police found themselves utterly unprepared to take on the jihadists.

The 27-year-old policewoman who was gunned down just south of Paris while attending a traffic accident was unarmed, as was her partner, who could do nothing to stop the gunman.

Now, after three police officers were killed during the attacks in France, a plot to murder police officers in Belgium was foiled, and a posthumous video of Amedy Coulibaly, one of the French jihadists, admitting his plan was to attack police all along, European law enforcement agencies are beginning to think differently about how and which police should be armed...
Townhall.com

Ya' think?

drunken

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm

obervantone wrote:You're right I did and I tried to get my login deleted but the owner of the site refused, so I'll try again.
Nonsense.

You wouldn't be here right now if you really meant it.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 pm

obervantone wrote:The problem with that "school of thought" is that that one can kill that 100

Yes, I realize how "unpopular" that opinion is now.

People today are so scared shitless over everything, they would be perfectly happy seeing 1000 innocent people go to prison for every one guilty, as long as they are told that is keeping them "safe".

Great things do not get accomplished in a "safe" society.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 am

Snopes had little to "debunk" in the following; however, I found Facebook supportive:
http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/index.php/2014/12/18/why-i-carry-csgv-seems-like-a-good-reason/

This explains why there has never been an attempt on Obama.

In 1865 a Democrat shot and killed Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States .

In 1881 a left wing radical Democrat shot James Garfield, President of the United States , who later died from the wound.

In 1963 a radical left wing socialist shot and killed John F. Kennedy, President of the United States .

In 1975 a left wing radical Democrat fired shots at Gerald Ford, President of the United States .

In 1983 a registered Democrat shot and wounded Ronald Reagan, President of the United States .

In 1984 James Hubert, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 22 people in a McDonalds restaurant.

In 1986 Patrick Sherrill, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 15 people in an Oklahoma post office.

In 1990 James Pough, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 10 people at a GMAC office.

In 1991 George Hennard, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 23 people in a Luby's cafeteria in Killeen , TX.

In 1995 James Daniel Simpson, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 5 coworkers in a Texas laboratory.

In 1999 Larry Asbrook, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 8 people at a church service.

In 2001 a left wing radical Democrat fired shots at the White House in a failed attempt to kill George W. Bush, President of the US .

In 2003 Douglas Williams, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 7 people at a Lockheed Martin plant.

In 2007 a registered Democrat named Seung - Hui Cho, shot and killed 32 people in Virginia Tech.

In 2010 a mentally ill registered Democrat named Jared Lee Loughner, shot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killed 6 others.

In 2011 a registered Democrat named James Holmes, went into a movie theater and shot and killed 12 people.

In 2012 Andrew Engeldinger, a disgruntled Democrat, shot and killed 7 people in Minneapolis .

In 2013 a registered Democrat named Adam Lanza, shot and killed 26 people in a school in Newtown , CT.

As recently as Sept 2013, an angry Democrat shot 12 at a Navy ship yard.

Clearly, there is a problem with Democrats and guns.

Not one NRA member, Tea Party member, or Republican conservative was involved in any of these shootings and murders.

SOLUTION: It should be illegal for Democrats to own guns.

study

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next