Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just what we need.

3 posters

Go down

Just what we need. Empty Just what we need.

Post  fshnski Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm

The state's refugee resettlement program is expected to spread from Manchester to Nashua in the coming weeks, with 50 refugees headed toward the Gate City. Officials in both cities are expressing concern over the plans.

"I was talking about my concerns with the head of the International Institute, and the next communication I have from them is to say that they (the refugees) are coming, and we've found housing for them," said Nashua Mayor Donnalee Lozeau. "I asked, 'Where? When? Who's coming? Are there any children?' No one has any answers. The concerns I raised were real ones, and I feel like they weren't addressed at all."

The International Institute of New Hampshire (IINH) has been working for months to resettle another 200 refugees in Manchester, despite a sometimes frosty relationship with city officials. Mayor Ted Gatsas wrote a letter in 2011 to the U.S. State Department, which oversees the refugee program, faulting its "complete and utter lack of consideration for the local resettlement community."

Citing the challenges the thousands of refugees already in the city face in terms of housing, education and employment, Gatsas later sought a moratorium on new arrivals, asking the Executive Council to withhold federal contracts to IINH and other resettlement agencies. The contracts were eventually approved.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130401/NEWS06/130409972
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Just what we need. Empty Re: Just what we need.

Post  News Hawk Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I hear that Maine needs them...

pirat
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm not sure what you meant by that. My reason for posting that is to share my frustration. We have dozens of bridges and thousands of miles of roads in a state of disrepair. It boggles my mind that money can still be found to assist non Americans but we don't have the funds to have safe, enjoyable roads.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm

I agree, fsh. We always seem to have money for that kind of thing but nothing for the basics. And then they want to raise OUR gas tax because they don't have enough money to repair the roads and bridges. Evil or Very Mad
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Just what we need. Empty Nashua airport hears from FAA

Post  fshnski Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 pm

NASHUA, N.H. —Officials at the Nashua Airport heard from the Federal Aviation Administration about the future of their air traffic control tower Tuesday.

In a telephone meeting, representatives from the FAA said the only way to keep the Boire Field tower open would be for the airport to pay to staff it.

The FAA ordered the closure of the air traffic control tower as part of the federal budget cuts known as sequestration.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Nashua-airport-hears-from-FAA/-/9857858/19572158/-/mavwsyz/-/index.html#ixzz2PPy34JfC
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Just what we need. Empty Aldermen seek answers on Manchester refugee numbers

Post  fshnski Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

MANCHESTER - Aldermen are seeking answers from the International Institute of New England concerning its plans to settle 50 additional refugees in Nashua, rather than reroute some of the newcomers destined for Manchester.

At their meeting Tuesday, the aldermen voted to send a letter requesting a meeting with representatives of both the institute and the U.S. State Department, which oversees refugee resettlement.

Ward 3 Alderman Pat Long, who chairs the city's refugee task force, said based on a conversation he and Mayor Ted Gatsas had with the organization, he expected the 50 refugees approved for Nashua would reduce the number set to arrive in Manchester.

"In that conversation, we asked them if they could settle in other communities within 50 miles," Long said. "Then we found out a couple weeks ago that instead of 200, they're getting 250. That's not the understanding we had."

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130403/NEWS/130409711

After the story there are many interesting comments. They share many of my frustrations.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I hear that Maine needs them...

...check with Lewiston...

pirat
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Just what we need. Empty With 152 classes overcrowded, Manchester under increasing scrutiny

Post  fshnski Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 am

MANCHESTER - Considerably more classes in the city school system are overcrowded by state standards, according to new figures released by the Manchester School District.

As of late March, there were 152 classes that exceeded the state size limit of 30 students per class, 50 in the high schools and 102 in the middle schools. The number that has been cited publicly in recent weeks is 39. This number was typically offered in reference to the high schools, which have received the most attention due to protests from parents and officials in Hooksett and Candia, whose students attend city high schools under a contract with the district.

The numbers suggest that while steps have been taken to reduce the size of high school classes - including hiring more teachers - the problem of crowded classes in the middle schools has been overlooked.

For more frustration ...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130405/NEWS04/130409484
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum