Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boy does this make me angry ... At West Point?!

2 posters

Go down

Boy does this make me angry ... At West Point?! Empty Boy does this make me angry ... At West Point?!

Post  fshnski Fri May 24, 2013 2:13 pm

WASHINGTON — House Speaker John A. Boehner on Thursday called the rise of sexual assaults in the military a “national disgrace” as lawmakers in both chambers of Congress moved closer this week to legislation to address the problem.

Mr. Boehner’s comments came after several weeks of continued reports of sexual assault in the armed forces and after a Pentagon survey estimated that 26,000 people in the armed forces were sexually assaulted last year, up from 19,000 in 2010.

On Thursday, Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri, and Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, said they would introduce a bill to limit a military commander’s ability to change or dismiss a court-martial conviction for sexual assault.

On Thursday, new details emerged about the soldier accused of surreptitiously taking videos of a dozen female cadets.

In at least some of the cases, according to Army officials briefed on the inquiry, Sgt. First Class Michael McClendon, who had been assigned to the academy since 2009, is believed to have entered a bathroom-shower area in a women’s barracks when few others were there. The officials said he perhaps had used the video function on a smartphone to capture images of women in the curtainless showers.

Officials said the accusations had come to light in two ways: They were alerted after Sergeant McClendon was spotted leaving the women’s bathroom-shower area, and after the video images of undressed female cadets that he had in his possession were seen by another cadet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/us/congress-steps-up-anti-sexual-assault-efforts.html?ref=us&_r=1&
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Boy does this make me angry ... At West Point?! Empty The New Civil Right?

Post  News Hawk Fri May 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Taking photos of "undressed women" is a sexual assault? scratch

This reporter lost track of the proposed bill's contents. bounce

Well. perhaps in Obama's brave new military, "sexual assault" will become a new civil right.

Arrow
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down