Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers.

+2
WHL
Anti Federalist
6 posters

Go down

Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers. Empty Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers.

Post  Anti Federalist Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Well, good for them.

United Auto Workers Union Rejected By Volkswagen Workers At Tennessee Plant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/14/united-auto-workers-union_n_4792424.html

The multiyear effort to organize Volkswagen's only U.S. plant was defeated on a 712-626 vote Friday night amid heavy campaigning on both sides.

Workers voting against the union said while they remain open to the creation of a German-style "works council" at the plant, they were unwilling to risk the future of the Volkswagen factory that opened to great fanfare on the site of a former Army ammunition plant in 2011.

"Come on, this is Chattanooga, Tennessee," said worker Mike Jarvis, who was among the group in the plant that organized to fight the UAW. "It's the greatest thing that's ever happened to us."

Jarvis, who hangs doors, trunk lids and hoods on cars said workers also were worried about the union's historical impact on Detroit automakers and the many plants that have been closed in the North, he said.

"Look at every company that's went bankrupt or shut down or had an issue," he said. "What is the one common denominator with all those companies? UAW. We don't need it."
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers. Empty Re: Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers.

Post  WHL Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:32 am

We were very happy to hear that too.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers. Empty Re: Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers.

Post  News Buzzard Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 am

I don't think it's a big deal that the vote failed. Volkswagen is a good company that is progressive enough to have a "works council", so I don't think they'll be unfair to their workers, and it's nice to know that VW is employing some 1,500 people in Tennessee to make the Passat.

I still think Volkswagen can learn a lot from Toyota, as far as engineering goes, but that has nothing to do with this discussion.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:28 am

Even you admit not everybody has to be ruled with an iron thumb?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 am

WHL wrote:Even you admit not everybody has to be ruled with an iron thumb?

I'm not sure what you mean.  scratch
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Matzoh Heppelwhite. Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 am

WHL wrote:Even you admit not everybody has to be ruled with an iron thumb?
What a curious thing to say.
Matzoh Heppelwhite.
Matzoh Heppelwhite.

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 am

Well, we had a previous discussion in which Achigan and you implied that no businesses could be trusted to run properly so therefore we need all kinds of gov. rules and regulations, unions, etc. Now I think you are saying VW is a good business and can be trusted to run itself BY ITSELF?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 am

WHL wrote:Well, we had a previous discussion in which Achigan and you implied that no businesses could be trusted to run properly so therefore we need all kinds of gov. rules and regulations, unions, etc.  Now I think you are saying VW is a good business and can be trusted to run itself BY ITSELF?

There are always a few exceptions to the rule. Costco is the perfect example of a company that takes care of it's workers and doesn't manage itself in accordance with the greedy GOP way of doing business. Since Volkswagen is a German company that gives it's workers a stake in the company through work councils I am comfortable that it will take care of it's workers, in spite of the backwoods mentality of the Tennessee GOP!

I hope that clarifies my position on the GOP!     Wink
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Matzoh Heppelwhite. Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 pm

WHL wrote:Well, we had a previous discussion in which Achigan and you implied that no businesses could be trusted to run properly so therefore we need all kinds of gov. rules and regulations, unions, etc.  Now I think you are saying VW is a good business and can be trusted to run itself BY ITSELF?
Who are you talking to?
Matzoh Heppelwhite.
Matzoh Heppelwhite.

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm

If you think that businesses don't need rules and regulations, then you should read about the working conditions and wages of workers before unions.
Also you should read about some of the businesses that polluted the ground and air prior to the government getting involved.
All you can think of is capitalism and how good it is. Well we need people to start businesses but we don't need to put up with what happens when they become so wealthy that they think they are God.

You must have had a run in with some law that you didn't like and have been holding a grudge ever since.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matzoh Heppelwhite. Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Achigan wrote:

If you think that businesses don't need rules and regulations, then you should read about the working conditions and wages of workers before unions.
Also you should read about some of the businesses that polluted the ground and air prior to the government getting involved.
All you can think of is capitalism and how good it is.  Well we need people to start businesses but we don't need to put up with what happens when they become so wealthy that they think they are God.

You must have had a run in with some law that you didn't like and have been holding a grudge ever since.
Bravo!!!
Matzoh Heppelwhite.
Matzoh Heppelwhite.

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm

NB just said he thinks VW can be trusted to be good to it's employees without the union, Achigan. I was talking to him.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Achigan Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:04 pm

WHL wrote:NB just said he thinks VW can be trusted to be good to it's employees without the union, Achigan.  I was talking to him.

Well I'm talking to you.
Achigan
Achigan

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Unions only want money for their fat cat bosses.

And politicians only want to get reelected.

Neither gives a damn about the workers.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

The Volkswagen workers may get the last say on this one. Take that, Senator Corker!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/19/us-vw-usplant-idUSBREA1I0S820140219

Maybe Volkswagen would consider a plant in New Hampshire     Idea
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Unionization of VW plant in TN rejected by workers. Empty 'Til We Become DETROIT...

Post  News Hawk Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:19 pm

The UAW is trying to organize the Tennessee plant's 3,350 employees with the support of I.G. Mettal, the union that represents VW workers in Germany.

Billboards that popped up on highways around the Tennessee plant last month urge workers to reject the UAW.

“Auto unions ate Detroit. Next Meal? Chattanooga,” the signs read.

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/4217494-74/plant-assembly-workers#ixzz2u6UdAFT1
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 am

We can only hope others smarten up.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 pm

It's quite apparent that the VW Works Council is not too fond of the Tennessee GOP, so I doubt we'll see any more VW plants in that area.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down