Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled war hero says KFC turned him away due to his service dog

Go down

Disabled war hero says KFC turned him away due to his service dog Empty Disabled war hero says KFC turned him away due to his service dog

Post  fshnski Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 am

This is the second time this guy has done this. The first suit was for $4,000,000.00. This one is only for $1,000,000.00. All because somebody hurt his feelings.

A highly decorated Army war hero is suing the operators of a KFC in The Bronx, saying they violated federal law by refusing to serve him because he was accompanied by his registered service dog.

Disabled Army National Guard Sgt. Charles Hernandez, 50, says he relies on Valor — a 4-year-old Labrador retriever-great Dane mix — to help cope with posttraumatic stress disorder, panic attacks and spinal-cord injuries related to three decades of service that included a tour in Iraq.

In his $1 million lawsuit filed yesterday in Manhattan federal court, Hernandez claims he was turned away on Feb. 26 in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act during a visit with Valor to the KFC at 1 West Fordham Road.

Hernandez told The Post one employee “disrespectfully” referred to him repeatedly as “Papi,” saying, “Papi, there is no dogs allowed.”

After Hernandez explained to the man that his “partner” Valor, by law, has every right to accompany him, the staffer shot back, “OK, but you still cannot have the dog in the store.”

Hernandez, who has relied on Valor since 2010, said he became even more peeved because the restaurant’s manager, Sade Clark, observed the “discrimination” and “refused to do anything.”

“I was frustrated, angry and more, depressed,” Hernandez said. “No one was helping. Rather than understanding the needs of a person, they shut me out.

“The dog has just as many rights as they do. He doesn’t bark or bite unless he is threatened. He’s my security blanket. He keeps me grounded.”

Hernandez said it was his first time inside that KFC and he was looking to buy a meal to eat with prescribed medication.

Hernandez in 2011 won an undisclosed settlement in a similar legal battle. He had slapped a McDonald’s in Times Square with a $4 million lawsuit alleging he was cursed at by a manager for entering with his service dog.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/what_bunch_of_clucks_ry15n98q79U75fdh55N9RL
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down