Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congressman laments $172,000 salary

2 posters

Go down

Congressman laments $172,000 salary Empty Congressman laments $172,000 salary

Post  Casy Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Georgia Republican Phil Gingrey is under fire for complaining about his compensation at a closed-door meeting.
"Man, Congress is a dead-end job. You're surrounded by fat-cat lobbyists making twice as much as you, you hear nothing but complaints from your constituents and you take home a measly $174,000 a year."

It's enough to get one Congressman, Phil Gingrey of Georgia (pictured), tied up in knots. He complained about it in a closed-door meeting Wednesday, and his comments have spread like wildfire.

Gingrey observed that poorly paid Congressional aides have a future on K Street -- a street in Washington D.C. known for the lobbying companies headquartered there.

Aides "may be 33 years old now and not making a lot of money," Gingrey said, according to two aides who relayed his comments to The National Review. "But in a few years they can just go to K Street and make $500,000 a year. Meanwhile I'm stuck here making $172,000 a year."

It just tugs on the heartstrings, doesn't it? Gingrey was actually off by a couple thousand. Members of Congress have made $174,000 annually since 2009.

The median household income in Gingrey's home state of Georgia, meanwhile, is $49,736 a year.

http://t.money.msn.com/now/congressman-im-stuck-here-making-dollar172000

Casy

Back to top Go down

Congressman laments $172,000 salary Empty Re: Congressman laments $172,000 salary

Post  WHL Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:11 pm

I saw that and my thought was why did he run then? He knew what it paid when he ran. It should have come as no surprise.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down