Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post...

+2
Amy B
News Hawk
6 posters

Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty To Agree or Not with Huffington Post...

Post  News Hawk Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

A Speedboat Is Not A Fishing Boat. Here's Why That Matters...

"There is nothing redeeming about a speedboat. It's loud, it serves no purpose other than to anger people not in it, it creates a huge wake that's obnoxious on the water and even on the beach and it violently slashes through manatees that bob near the surface of Miami's coastal waters. There is even less that is redeeming about the kind of person who covets one -- or, worse, actually owns one. Speedboats are made exclusively for assholes..."
Huffington Post
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty Re: To Agree or Not with Huffington Post...

Post  Amy B Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:22 am

That is funny. And yes, on Winnipesaukee it would seem that half the people dislike them and the other half despise them Very Happy
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty Re: To Agree or Not with Huffington Post...

Post  WHL Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:51 am

Dream on Amy.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:04 am

Also from the article:

The purpose of a speedboat is to give the rider an adrenaline rush and an ego boost at the expense -- or, perhaps, with the added benefit -- of offending everyone within earshot. It's for the man whose Hummer doesn't quite do it for him.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 am

My "speed" boat is quieter than your lawnmower or blower Very Happy

red_hill

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 am

At least there is some life in us if we enjoy an ego boost or an adrenaline rush.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty Assume much?

Post  News Hawk Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:12 am

red_hill wrote:My "speed" boat is quieter than your lawnmower or blower Very Happy
`
The only lawnmower I own is electric—as does my neighbor.

Have you killed or wounded any surfacing Loons lately?

scratch

While out sailing, I've had Loons surface between my catamaran's hulls—surprising both of us—even getting wet from the splash!  

Shocked

The Loon is an ancient bird, which never developed hollow bones. (So they'd sink when hit).

There's nothing like the call of the Loon—the Big Lake is blessed with them. (Not so much speedboats).

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty Imagine my excitement

Post  obervantone Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:48 pm

when after more than a month of inactivity on the page actually set aside to discuss all things Lake Winnipesaukee there was a posting!    

Then I see it is just more of the same....this thread should be under National Politics since it is regarding a Huffington Post article critical of Marco Rubio purchasing a Center Console fishing boat and has nothing to do with the lake.

What did he buy that is causing all the fuss?  A 24 foot CC fishing boat.
http://www.ewboats.com/boat-models/center-consoles/245cc

And since our illustrious Not News Hawk failed to provide a link to the OpEd, again...here it is.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/10/rubio-speedboat-fishing-boat_n_7554138.html

Wake me when you actually want to talk about all things Winnipesaukee
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty It's Summer—the Killing Season on the Big Lake.

Post  News Hawk Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:11 pm

obervantone wrote:Wake me when you actually want to talk about all things Winnipesaukee

'Seems like you were already awake!

Very Happy

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Sleep
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Outerlimits Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:17 am

News Hawk wrote:A Speedboat Is Not A Fishing Boat. Here's Why That Matters...

"There is nothing redeeming about a speedboat. It's loud, it serves no purpose other than to anger people not in it, it creates a huge wake that's obnoxious on the water and even on the beach and it violently slashes through manatees that bob near the surface of Miami's coastal waters. There is even less that is redeeming about the kind of person who covets one -- or, worse, actually owns one. Speedboats are made exclusively for assholes..."
Huffington Post

I don’t like it when fishermen snag their hooks into my mooring cover.  

With that being said…

I don’t dislike or despise all fishermen based on the actions of a few inconsiderate individuals.  I certainly don’t question a person’s character because they own a shiny new Shakespeare or automatically condemn them all as potential vandals.

Maybe this belongs in the politics section, maybe not.

Good politics is more about values and ideas than it is about politicians.  Most politicians from both sides just suck.  The opinions stated in the HuffPo is more of the extreme wing group think that has screwed up this country.  We have laws and if they are not being followed the solution is not to add more laws or ban things we don’t like, the solution is to enforce the laws we do have.

News Hawk,

Got to say I am a little disappointed you would embrace Saul Alinsky  rule #13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
Outerlimits
Outerlimits

Back to top Go down

To Agree or Not with Huffington Post... Empty It's hard to forget the victims, especially when you think you're safe in a 21-foot boat. .

Post  News Hawk Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Outerlimits wrote:Got to say I am a little disappointed you would embrace Saul Alinsky  rule #13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
Diamond Island was the target, Erika "Blizzard" froze it (and personalized it). That it remains polarized was due to people who believed they had control of the "extreme speeds" issue.  

Do you think that Littlefield should have offered help to the crew of the victim's boat—in danger of sinking—and the need of CPR and a tow—but abandoned ALL measures of assistance instead?

Do you think he should have hidden his boat inside a boathouse not belonging to him, and waited days before appearing before authorities?

But all I asked was, do you agree with the Huffing Post article or not?

scratch
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:25 pm

You always bring Erica Blizzards accident up citing speed in one way or another, NH. She was not going fast. That accident was not due to speed. Littlefield's speed was probably only because he also was drinking.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 pm

WHL wrote:You always bring Erica Blizzards accident up citing speed in one way or another, NH.  She was not going fast.  That accident was not due to speed.  Littlefield's speed was probably only because he also was drinking.

Nonetheless, Erika was "carrying water" for the extremists. Her judgment in speeding through the drizzly and foggy wee-hours was no different than supporting the extreme boaters. Like most boating extremists, she thought she knew what she was doing, until Diamond Island tore up her boat (and her) pretty good—not to mention killing a friend—instantly.

Even when she was not drinking, her pre-trial behavior on the highway surely affected her jail time. If there's an impending danger out on waters of Lake Winnipesaukee, it derives from the same cult of ego satisfaction. That she's not admitted any fault is even more telling.

At 2-AM, Erika should have been creeping through the bad weather or, less bad, slept it off at anchor with an anchor light.  If her fathometer was in use, she would have noticed a good ½-mile of decreasing depth. No mention of radar.
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:25 am

If she was speeding and not drunk then you could blame the speed. But we all know what alcohol does to judgement.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:57 am

WHL wrote:If she was speeding and not drunk then you could blame the speed.  But we all know what alcohol does to judgement.

Speed is a thrill: there's an extra thrill in speeding while drunk. Apparently, Erika didn't know that it is the first drink that affects judgment. Florida highways have frequent signs that read simply, "Decide before you drive".

She may have been the worst possible representative to oppose the speed limit, and the Governor recognized that—tying his hands.
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Outerlimits Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:12 am

News Hawk wrote: But all I asked was, do you agree with the Huffing Post article or not?

scratch

If you want to condemn the actions of Blizzard and Littlefield, by all means, go for it. You will get no argument from me. Holding all operators/owners responsible for the actions of those two is akin to holding all co-pilots accountable for the actions of Andreas Lubitz.

As to your question, I do not agree with the editorial in the HuffPo it is merely an opinion of an ignorant person.

News Hawk wrote:She may have been the worst possible representative to oppose the speed limit, and the Governor recognized that—tying his hands.

Without a doubt.

I do not endorse or want Donald Trump to represent me regardless of his affiliation. I felt the exact same way about Blizzard before the tragedy, she didn’t speak for me.
Outerlimits
Outerlimits

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down