Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ...

2 posters

Go down

Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ... Empty Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ...

Post  fshnski Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 pm

... the "voice of the left" in DC.

This week’s shocking fire sale of the once-vaunted Washington Post to a home-shopping magnate was another inglorious jolt reminding us that newspapers have committed themselves to a slow and painful suicide. It was like watching a body in free fall from some high rooftop slamming off another window sill in its long journey to the pavement.

When I was a boy growing up in a one-stoplight tobacco town in Southside Virginia, my father subscribed to a solid 12 pounds of newspapers every day from around the country. I know this because one of my first jobs was walking to the post office to collect them all. They were rolled into logs and wrapped in brown paper. I walked them home in a little cart. Not bad work for a quarter.

In the evening, my father would sit in his office, take one of the fat rolls and using his penknife slice through the brown paper until it plumped open. These newspapers — including The Washington Post — would unfurl into exotic and exciting stories from far-away places that dazzled a 10-year-old kid living in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

There were stories of mysterious crimes, intrigue at the morgue, aching romances and towering greed among vastly wealthy people. There was all the clandestine lurking between two superpowers on the brink of nuclear annihilation. And there was always the simple stories about mundane life that were so beautifully written. In those days, no one was better at that than The Washington Post.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/6/hurt-a-once-great-newspaper-brought-the-world-to-a/
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ... Empty Re: Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ...

Post  News Hawk Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:12 pm

The Washington Post had gotten somewhat better at reporting unbiased news. I wonder if (the very successful) Amazon-founder can turn the business part around?

I doubt that he's a Conservative.

Suspect 
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ... Empty Re: Interesting take on the sale of the Washington Post ...

Post  fshnski Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:26 pm

He leans left.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down