Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet Tax

4 posters

Go down

Internet Tax Empty Internet Tax

Post  WHL Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Has anyone read the details of this tax? Is it a national tax or a state tax? Because I heard NH will have to collect it and since we don't have a sales tax now in this state, I am wondering how this is going to work if it passes. Would appreciate it in your own words if anybody has any details? I guess I can look it up.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Internet Tax Empty Re: Internet Tax

Post  WHL Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-hampshire-internet-sales-tax.html

According to this article if there is no sales tax in a state (like NH) they don't have to collect it. That makes more sense. If you are a seller in NH however, you do have to collect it when you sell to someone who is in a state that has a tax. Actually, businesses should have been collecting from buyers all along if there was a tax in that state, but I guess not a lot were doing it.

WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Internet Tax Empty Shea-Porter will seek NH carve out in Internet sales tax bill

Post  fshnski Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm

WASHINGTON, D.C. —When the proposed Internet sales tax bill comes to the U.S. House for a vote, U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, D-Rochester, says that not only will vote against it, she will put forth an amendment to carve out New Hampshire small businesses from being impacted.

The Internet sales tax bill, formally called the Marketplace Fairness Act, passed the U.S. Senate Monday 69 to 27. The bill would require businesses selling goods on the Internet to collect and submit sales taxes for where ever their customers live. Both of New Hampshire's senators voting against it. While Republican U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte helped lead efforts to kill the bill, Democrat U.S. Jeanne Shaheen, tried unsuccessfully to pass an amendment that would exempt businesses in states without a sales tax from complying with the law.

Shea-Porter said she will re-introduce that amendment when the bill comes up for a vote in the House. New Hampshire's other member of Congress, Democrat U.S. Rep. Annie Kuster, also says she opposes the Internet sales tax bill.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/political-scoop/sheaporter-will-seek-nh-carve-out-in-internet-sales-tax-bill/-/16254890/20047836/-/q49uryz/-/index.html#ixzz2SdIEov5g

fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Outerlimits Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm

I guess we should be asking: Why do we need another tax?

The key is the use of the word “FAIR”. This word (and argument) is used to deflect your attention from the people actually taking more of your hard earned dollars. If they can successfully make the argument about fairness, we (the consumers) will lose. While using terms like fair and equitable, they shift the focus to states against states and retailers against retailers instead of simply see the obvious. Politicians want more of your money.

They see your money as theirs and by some bizarre reality they have a right to take a percentage of your money every time there is any transaction. Are we really that far away from a tax when you make a deposit or withdrawal from your bank?

I don’t like taxes period. I see far too much waste and I'm sick of giving more and more of my money to irresponsible elitists. They will never have enough revenue, because when ever they do get more, they will spend more.

Big business embraces the idea of internet sales tax they will absorb the start up costs and pass the tax on to the consumers, in turn they know this increases the barriers to entry and will keep the little ones from encroaching on their turf.

We are not talking about a business collecting a tax for people in their own state. We're talking about a business collecting for other states (the state the purchaser lives in) and submitting that tax to the purchaser's state. A small business would now have to submit tax forms to send in sales tax to each state, county and city where applicable (some 1900+ taxes). What will that do to the cost of doing business?

Big taxes, big government and big crony corps. Progressive utopia is just over the horizon folks.
Outerlimits
Outerlimits

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm

I agree with you about the taxes-they are never happy, they always want more. I, too, am sick and tired of them wanting more and more of the money of the few of us that work for it to give to those who don't. Government needs to get smaller and they just don't understand that.

The only one thing about this tax though is that NH businesses already have to collect state taxes for other states. When we sell something to someone in Maine or Mass for instance, we have to pay the sales tax. WE have accounts in those states to pay those taxes. We don't sell much in Mass. any more but we do sell to Maine. But internet companies were not doing that.

Apparently people (who have a sales tax in their state) were supposed to pay it anyway, which of course none did. So this is why they want this bill.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Maybe someone can fill me in ... How do you know for sure whom or where you are purchasing something from when you buy stuff on the internet?
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue May 07, 2013 7:42 pm

You really don't.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 pm

WHL wrote:I agree with you about the taxes-they are never happy, they always want more. I, too, am sick and tired of them wanting more and more of the money of the few of us that work for it to give to those who don't. Government needs to get smaller and they just don't understand that.
Let's put it to a vote!

Shocked

...well, never mind...

pale
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down