Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

+3
obervantone
fshnski
News Hawk
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... Empty 45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

Post  News Hawk Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 am

"There were lawn chairs and people flying all over the place," said Richard Eppler, 23, of Whittier, a witness who was with a group of friends sitting 10 feet from the accident. "It was brutal."

The dead girl was identified as Brandy Branchflower.

"I was seconds away from it. We were yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!' " Sanchez said. He ran toward the girl, about 50 feet away, but the boat got there first, he said. He placed a red plaid blanket over her body until the authorities arrived.

"She was just a little girl, having a good time," he said sadly.

After a delay, the second day of racing continued at the two-day Coors' Championship...
http://articles.latimes.com/1985-04-22/local/me-22040_1_drag-boat
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... Empty Re: 45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

Post  fshnski Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 am

Holy, moly!
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... Empty Re: 45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

Post  obervantone Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 am

Did you notice the DATE of this tragic story about an accident on Lake Winnip....ummm in California?
April 22, 1985...28 YEARS AGO! Really?

Last edited by obervantone on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected the time that has passed from 27 to 28 years ago!)
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 am

Nope. Good catch.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

1985??????????????????????????????????????? you are kidding me..... Do you have any credibility left???

Also 45 mph.. Apparently 45 mph doesn't make everything perfectly safe does it?

What a troll looking for controversy.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:59 am

jkjkjkjjkjjkjk

Last edited by fshnski on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 pm

obervantone wrote:Did you notice the DATE of this tragic story about an accident on Lake Winnip....ummm in California?
April 22, 1985...27 YEARS AGO! Really?  

Like the Hartman's and Beaudoin's families—Brandy Branchflower's family hasn't forgotten!

Evil or Very Mad 

When Ocean-Racers brag about their experience in "safety", there's something inconsequential about boating at 45-MPH?

scratch
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 pm

What was your point in bringing up the death of a spectator at a sanctioned national championship race in California...28 years after the fact?

Last edited by obervantone on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed my math, it was 28 years ago not 27...opps)
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 pm

sumrluvr wrote:1985???????????????????????????????????????
Just because it happened before you were born, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Rolling Eyes 

sumrluvr wrote:Also 45 mph.. Apparently 45 mph doesn't make everything perfectly safe does it?
There's not much that is "perfectly" safe, but speedboats have enough inertia—at a "safe" speed—to kill innocents.
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Well nice try to make it personal. When one has no credibility go personal...

And if you are not trying to incite a debate then what does this tragic accident that happened almost 3 decades ago have to do with Lake Winni?

Trolling are you?
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:02 am

sumrluvr wrote:Well nice try to make it personal. When one has no credibility go personal...

And if you are not trying to incite a debate then what does this tragic accident that happened almost 3 decades ago have to do with Lake Winni?

Trolling are you?
Trolling—for what?

scratch

When the needle touches 45-MPH, watersport "fun" becomes a matter of great responsibility—
sometimes, grave responsibility.

pale
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... Empty I am repeating myself

Post  obervantone Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 am

Second request:
What was your point in bringing up the death of a spectator at a sanctioned national championship race in California...28 years after the fact?
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 am

I agree. That's the same reason I stopped reading history books.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 am

obervantone wrote:Second request:
Like many other news-stories, I stumbled onto it elsewhere. The earlier case of a beheading was also a decade ago. That doesn't mean there aren't many other cases appearing in older newspapers where 45-MPH might have been considered "safe".

Daytime 40-MPH and after dark's nighttime 20-MPH would be better for Lake Winnipesaukee which has so many islands. We have a treasure here, but it's not Sebago Lake, where you could let 'er rip for hours.  (Or in the case of the ocean, for days!)

Some people think that a daytime 45-MPH is safe on the water—or, in this case—on land.
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... Empty Enough

Post  obervantone Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am

The use of a 28 year old accident in California at the sanctioned Coors National Championship Race to somehow link that to recreational boating on Lake Winnipesaukee would be like trying to say Ford Fusions should be banned because they are dangerous following a Nascar crash in which spectators were hurt or killed (The #32 car)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/23/nascar-wreck-daytona-fans-risks_n_2751808.html

The accident during the Coors National Championship Boat Race in California from 28 years ago that you are using as your example was caused by a mechanical malfunction in a professional racing boat as is described in the article that you provided the link to. It has ZERO relevance to safe recreational boating.

OO out
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  Outerlimits Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Great point OO.

In a related story…

America's Cup fatality raises safety questions

Olympic gold medal winner Andrew "Bart" Simpson, 36, was killed when he was trapped under the wreckage of the Artemis Racing sailboat that capsized during a training run. Barclay said investigators are expected to announce a probable cause of the wreck early next week.
"There's a lot of speculation of what happened," Barclay said. "We want to end the speculation."
Murray said at a press conference that the 72-foot catamaran was attempting to change direction and turn downwind when it capsized. Though difficult, the maneuver was normal, he said.
"The boat nose-dived, and all that we know from that point in that maneuver is that the boat ended up upside down, capsized, broken into many pieces," Murray said.

One hull snapped. Investigators will have to determine whether a structural problem caused the yacht to flip, or if the capsize broke the boat. Last fall, Artemis said the front beam of the catamaran was damaged during structural tests, delaying the boat's christening.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/sailing/story/_/id/9265029/america-cup-expected-go-fatal-wreck

In the name of safety, maybe we should look at banning other dangerous boats on our lake.  At least this happened this year.
Outerlimits
Outerlimits

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I heard that helmets, flack jackets and short breathing apparatus's are required now. I'm not sure if that is how the race started.

fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Outerlimits wrote:Great point OO.

It is?

scratch

I've yet to see a connection with water safety and the highway...unless, of course you'd discuss the crash of a "performance boat" into a truck on I-75 at night!

Surprised 
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am

Totally off topic, well kind of.... I saw that NH mentioned the America's Cup.

I was lucky enough to have just been in San Fran and was out there to witness the final race! It was amazing. The wind was right at the max speed allowed before they would have cancelled the race. They were at speeds going upwind that were faster than some of the earlier races going downwind.

What a great experience.

Ok carry on. I am sure NH will figure a way to try to spin this post as well. LOL
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:07 am

I'm envious! Sumr

This is the first time the racers surpassed 50 mph in competition.
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:19 pm

sumrluvr wrote:1985??????????????????????????????????????? you are kidding me..... Do you have any credibility left???  

Also 45 mph.. Apparently 45 mph doesn't make everything perfectly safe does it?

What a troll looking for controversy.
We've all heard the commonly used expression, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it". I don't particularly care if the accident happened last week, last year, or in 1985. I've noticed on another Winni forum where NH noted that all the fatal accidents on Winni seem to involve the performance boats. Of course the usual characters chime in and list various accidents (like the Governor's Island accident this summer) where bow riders, pontoon boats, kayaks etc were involved. But in reality virtually all the FATAL accidents on the lake seem to have involved performance boats. And of course we'll hear from some of the performance boat crowd how they don't count "because alcohol was involved". Alcohol was also involved in this summer's accident. Nobody was killed (fortunately).
  I applaud NH for his insightful posts.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:12 pm

Where have you been Amy? Why don't you chime in on some other subjects.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fshnski Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Her avatar freaks me out! affraid 
fshnski
fshnski

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Amy, are you a her? You don't have to answer.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:04 pm

sumrluvr wrote:Totally off topic, well kind of.... I saw that NH mentioned the America's Cup.

I was lucky enough to have just been in San Fran and was out there to witness the final race! It was amazing. The wind was right at the max speed allowed before they would have cancelled the race. They were at speeds going upwind that were faster than some of the earlier races going downwind.

What a great experience.

Ok carry on. I am sure NH will figure a way to try to spin this post as well. LOL
I don't need to spin it: organizers kept the boats' speeds lower for safety--or don't you agree?

scratch
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next