Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

+3
obervantone
fshnski
News Hawk
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... - Page 2 Empty Seriously, enough!

Post  obervantone Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:15 pm

NH wrote:I don't need to spin it: organizers kept the boats' speeds lower for safety--or don't you agree?
It was not the speed of the boats that was limited in the America's Cup races, it was the wind speed.

The original wind limit was 33 knots. After Simpson was trapped under the twisted wreckage of Artemis Racing's catamaran on May 9, the limit was reduced to 23 knots as one of 37 safety recommendations Murray made.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11128483

Amy B wrote:We've all heard the commonly used expression, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it". I don't particularly care if the accident happened last week, last year, or in 1985.
However New Hawk used as his example the professionally sanctioned Coors National Championship race in California from 1985 and the death of a spectator at that race in another attempt to link speed and recreational boating.  

So I will say again, if the 1985 spectator death at the professional Coors National Championship Race in California justifies more limits and restrictions on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire then the far more frequent spectator injuries and deaths at Nascar and Formula One events should certainly justify more limits and restrictions on vehicles on our roads.  The logic is the same.  Zero correlation between either.

OO out
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... - Page 2 Empty Re: 45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

Post  WHL Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:38 am

And not only Nascar, oo, what about the road and highways? We don't lower the speed limits on the highways because some people get drunk and kill other people.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half... - Page 2 Empty Re: 45-MPH Boat Crash Cuts Young Girl in Half...

Post  Amy B Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 am

WHL wrote:Where have you been Amy?  Why don't you chime in on some other subjects.
It's been a busy few weeks. As things fall into place I should have more time to participate.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:15 am

Good.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 pm

WHL. I am only using NASCAR and Formula One in my example because NH used a national championship boating race in his example to begin this thread. Professional racing events whether on water or land, are not relevant to the rules governing recreational boaters or daily commuting on the roads. I was pointing out how foolish his comparison is. OO out
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:20 pm

WHL wrote:"...We don't lower the speed limits on the highways because some people get drunk and kill other people..."
You watch on I-93, now that the limit has been raised!

Suspect 
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:20 am

Amy B wrote:
WHL wrote:Where have you been Amy?  Why don't you chime in on some other subjects.
It's been a busy few weeks. As things fall into place I should have more time to participate.
Patent business must be picking up.

Also, yes please chime in on any other topic and not just to spin every accident in history on performance boating. In actuality according to the MP and statistics the number one reason for deaths on the lake are cold water drowning. Basically fisherman early/late season. If saving lives and safety was indeed the winnfabs goal then where are they on this actual issue where safety and saving lives would be an issue?

I agree with OO. You can't take a tragic accident at a race 28 years ago where a mechanical failure caused a race boat to go out of control as an example of a recreational performance boat issue. That would be like trying to take the tragic accident last year where a nascar spun into the fence and hurt spectators as a reason to reduce speed limits on route 95 in Maine. The two simply do not have anything to do with each other.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 am

sumrluvr wrote:
Amy B wrote:
Patent business must be picking up.

Also, yes please chime in on any other topic and not just to spin every accident in history on performance boating. In actuality according to the MP and statistics the number one reason for deaths on the lake are cold water drowning. Basically fisherman early/late season. If saving lives and safety was indeed the winnfabs goal then where are they on this actual issue where safety and saving lives would be an issue?

I agree with OO. You can't take a tragic accident at a race 28 years ago where a mechanical failure caused a race boat to go out of control as an example of a recreational performance boat issue. That would be like trying to take the tragic accident last year where a nascar spun into the fence and hurt spectators as a reason to reduce speed limits on route 95 in Maine. The two simply do not have anything to do with each other.
Patent business????

You've put too much of your spin on my post. I rest my case that virtually all the fatal motor boat crashes on Winnipesaukee have involved the performance boats. And BTW Winnfabs never claimed safety was the only reason for a speed limit nor that it would prevent all accidents. Winnfabs and its many supporters made a positive impact on the lake and obviously those who wanted to go 70 MPH on the lake will not be happy. But fortunately our legislators, especially from the lake's region, agreed that the SL was the right thing to do. Nor do I buy the shallow argument that they were all "swayed by the fear mongers".  And I don't buy the argument that the switchable exhaust or the economy are responsible for how much quieter and more enjoyable the lake has become. Down town Meredith was hopping this summer as per my earlier post but  I haven't seen Meredith Bay so civilized in many years.

Last edited by Amy B on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Speed limits raised on 93, NH? IN NH?
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NewsHawk Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 am

I thought I'd read about here, but can't find it.

The Governor (and highway engineers) were opposed, but the Governor signed the SL-raising bill into law anyway.

Suspect

NewsHawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2