Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yo!—Speedboaters—How Many Swimmers?

+4
sumrluvr
Donzel
WHL
News Hawk
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Yo!—Speedboaters—How Many Swimmers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Yo!—Speedboaters—How Many Swimmers?

Post  News Hawk Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:54 am

WHL wrote:When will they learn that they can't prevent everything.
When there aren't any kids around?

I was just reminded by a family member that we saw the same bunch swimming the same route last season!

sumrluvr wrote:Funny you don't mention the two bowriders that collided in Moultonboro two years ago where people were injured and kids taken to the hospital............ Oh that's right it wouldn't help with your agenda.
No one was charged, although you could determine which of the boats swerved last.

In any earlier year, they could have been traveling at 60-MPH—which would have made THE difference.

Amy B wrote:"...The lake reached its nadir about 5 to 6 years ago and has been improving ever since. My family is so much happier boating on the lake than they've been in years. And I've never seen Gilford so busy as this summer hence no big blow to the economy; perhaps for every performance boat that left 2 other more family oriented boats came back..."
Even with a lousy season of chill and rain, every cottage on my shoreline is occupied—many that went unrented in previous years are now full of kids.

Rolling Eyes Yes, this makes for more newbies on the water, but they're going 30-MPH—and not 80.

I'd record more of the usual speed-demons whom the NHMP have given a "pass"—but this season, I have a full calendar of carpentry, windfall-clearing, and painting to get done. Sad
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Yo!—Speedboaters—How Many Swimmers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Yo!—Speedboaters—How Many Swimmers?

Post  Donzel Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 am

News Hawk wrote:
I'd record more of the usual speed-demons whom the NHMP have given a "pass"—but this season, I have a full calendar of carpentry, windfall-clearing, and painting to get done. Sad
I doubt very much that you will let anything get in your way from taking pictures.

Why don't you setup a webcam that records 24/7. That way you can replay the videos and pick out the "speed-demons" to show us.

Just think of the fun you could have spying on anyone that goes past your Lake front property.

Donzel

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 am

Amy B wrote:Like it or not the lake is at a better place than a few years ago. Despite warnings from from the fast and furious, the lake's region economy is thriving.  "Live Free or Die" was hijacked by a minority of NH citizens to justify self absorbed narcissism. Growing up in NH I learned that Live Free or Die meant being self sufficient and a good neighbor who could be counted on and would not behave in a manner that annoyed or disturbed my neighbors. Thankfully most of the nut case legislators in Concord who espoused the former and made NH a national joke were turned loose after the last election.
Lets see........... The Chamber of Commerce in Laconia has reported no substantial growth in tourism this year and the meals and hospitality tax revenue has been level (actually down) over the past 5 years. A study done two years ago show tourism dollars up in Maine and Vermont but down in NH. The Marine Trades association (representing marinas) have steady sales for those marinas left but the profits are down because the boats being sold are less expensive. They have lost most of the higher end performance lines which they attribute directly to the speed limit.

But as long as YOU think it is better and you and your family FEEL happier... Well I guess that is all that matters.

I have a pair of blinders you can borrow but it sure sounds like you have them on already.

Last edited by sumrluvr on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:55 am

News Hawk wrote:
sumrluvr wrote:Funny you don't mention the two bowriders that collided in Moultonboro two years ago where people were injured and kids taken to the hospital............ Oh that's right it wouldn't help with your agenda.
No one was charged, although you could determine which of the boats swerved last.

In any earlier year, they could have been traveling at 60-MPH—which would have made THE difference.

They could have been going 60 mph? Bowriders? Family boats? But how could that be? You have mentioned previously that the majority of these family pleasure boaters cannot exceed the speed limits anyway?

You have evidence that the MP are looking the other way on specific "speed-demons"?? Really? I will be sure to mention this next time I talk with them. I am sure they would be interested in hearing that you are claiming corruption within the dept.

Glad to see you are getting you home improvements done.. Putting the house on the market??? (hopefully)

BTW: Did you want to explain to the forum members your definition of ocean racer? (8th request)
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 am

sumrluvr wrote:
Amy B wrote:Like it or not the lake is at a better place than a few years ago. Despite warnings from from the fast and furious, the lake's region economy is thriving.  "Live Free or Die" was hijacked by a minority of NH citizens to justify self absorbed narcissism. Growing up in NH I learned that Live Free or Die meant being self sufficient and a good neighbor who could be counted on and would not behave in a manner that annoyed or disturbed my neighbors. Thankfully most of the nut case legislators in Concord who espoused the former and made NH a national joke were turned loose after the last election.
Lets see........... The Chamber of Commerce in Laconia has reported no substantial growth in tourism this year and the meals and hospitality tax revenue has been level (actually down) over the past 5 years. A study down two years ago show tourism dollars up in Maine and Vermont but down in NH. The Marine Trades association (representing marinas) have steady sales for those marinas left but the profits are down because the boats being sold are less expensive. They have lost most of the higher end performance lines which they attribute directly to the speed limit.

But as long as YOU think it is better and you and your family FEEL happier... Well I guess that is all that matters.

I have a pair of blinders you can borrow but it sure sounds like you have them on already.

It's such a shame that the economy has been hurt by losing big boats on the lake. As if the economy doesn't have enough problems. Why does everything have to be legislated???

BTW, sumr, I had to edit your post to remove the name. Remember you can't post names and would rather no one is called a name. Thanks.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 am

WHL wrote:

BTW, sumr, I had to edit your post to remove the name.  Remember you can't post names and would rather no one is called a name.  Thanks.
Thank you WHL.. I understand the rules however I feel that if he wants to claim corruption within the dept. of safety he should not be given the right of confidentiality.

This is a serious charge. I highly doubt he would ever consider such deformation publically. Instead he uses this method to protect himself.

I do not feel we should allow or support that activity otherwise the forum is indirectly an accomplice.

So I personally feel if he makes such accusations he needs to back those up with evidence or the post should be deleted. Otherwise I believe that his name should be posted in full so that when I speak to the Marine Patrol today they can reference this.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:17 am

sumrluvr wrote: A study done two years ago show tourism dollars up in Maine and Vermont but down in NH. The Marine Trades association (representing marinas) have steady sales for those marinas left but the profits are down because the boats being sold are less expensive. They have lost most of the higher end performance lines which they attribute directly to the speed limit.

I'd be interested in tax revenue for the lake's region, not just NH in general.  As I said, Meredith has never been busier. News Hawk reports no rentals available. Maybe I'm not too surprised from the tax figures 2 years ago....it has taken time for Winnipesaukee to recover from many people's perception that the lake was not a family friendly destination. From what I'm seeing in and around the lake word is getting out that Winni is open for business and again catering to people interested in a wholesome family destination.
  Not so sure about the blinders but we and our neighbors have been able to throw out the ear plugs.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:22 am

Amy B wrote:
sumrluvr wrote: A study done two years ago show tourism dollars up in Maine and Vermont but down in NH. The Marine Trades association (representing marinas) have steady sales for those marinas left but the profits are down because the boats being sold are less expensive. They have lost most of the higher end performance lines which they attribute directly to the speed limit.

I'd be interested in tax revenue for the lake's region, not just NH in general.  As I said, Meredith has never been busier. News Hawk reports no rentals available. Maybe I'm not too surprised from the tax figures 2 years ago....it has taken time for Winnipesaukee to recover from many people's perception that the lake was not a family friendly destination. From what I'm seeing in and around the lake word is getting out that Winni is open for business and again catering to people interested in a wholesome family destination.
  Not so sure about the blinders but we and our neighbors have been able to throw out the ear plugs.
Unfortunately the state does not publish the tax revenue by region. At least none I have ever been able to find.

News Hawk reports a lot of things that are not true. The Marine Trades Organization reports many slips are vacant and rentals down. But you can continue to "think" things are better. As long as you "feel" happier.

The noise reduction could be a direct effect of SBONH having the switchable exhaust law modified. This was done to reduce above water exhaust on the lake.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Amy, I have no idea what you are talking about -saying Winni has not been considered a famliy destination. That is just crazy. And to say that it is family friendly now? Silly.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  APSound Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm

We bought our home in 2007 because it was such a great place to spend time with our kids, families and friends. All have stayed at hotels, rentals, etc as a result of being here.

The lake is less friendly today with the restrictions but still a good family destination that will someday look back on the radical days and change the path and restore freedoms.

APSound

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Every town around the lake has been very busy this summer, and it's been a very pleasant surprise after several down years. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we had a great leaf-peeping season!
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:30 pm

News Buzzard wrote:Every town around the lake has been very busy this summer, and it's been a very pleasant surprise after several down years. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we had a great leaf-peeping season!
It is unfortunate that the revenue numbers and marinas are not seeing this sudden boom of business. Strange..........
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Donzel Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Amy B wrote: 
The Lake is much better off without the GFBL "Ocean Racers".

There is no place on the Lake for such large and fast boats.

Some people who own "Ocean Racers" have even moved to another state because they can't go 150-200 MPH on Lake Winni anymore.

They are much better off with their own kind anyway. Lake Winni is a family Lake and not for those "Ocean Racers".

Donzel

Back to top Go down

Post  APSound Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm

200mph, very cool . I'd like a ride on it. Ill ride my unicorn over to the dock to get a ride on it.

APSound

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Donzel wrote:
Amy B wrote: 
The Lake is much better off without the GFBL "Ocean Racers".

There is no place on the Lake for such large and fast boats.

Some people who own "Ocean Racers" have even moved to another state because they can't go 150-200 MPH on Lake Winni anymore.

They are much better off with their own kind anyway.  Lake Winni is a family Lake and not for those "Ocean Racers".
So do you want to try to define Ocean Racers?

150 - 200 mph? on the lake? little bit of an exaggeration. no?

Please provide your evidence that the lake is "better off". I have no problem with the opinion if you are able to substantiate your claims.

Growing up on the lake my family would make it a day to see the races (when they had them). I would always enjoy going to the weirs to see the fast cigarette style boats. Anytime there was an antique race boat show or anything that had to do with what you would deem "ocean racers" crowds of people would show up to see them.

Today I very much enjoy allowing children and their parents to jump on board to see my boat. I show them the engine and the excessive amounts of safety equipment I carry on board. I hope to send them away with a respect for my style of boat as well as help to change the impression that some around the lake with their unfounded views may bestow upon them.

Many families very much enjoy this style of boats. It gives little kids something to dream of. So I am not sure why the lake would be better for families now that many do not come to the lake. I think it has taken something away that many generations have enjoyed. Lake Winni is large enough for all styles of boating. It is truly unfortunate that a vocal minority has ruined it for our children.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  APSound Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Sumrluvr, sounds like a nice boat, I hope to buy one someday.

APSound

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 pm

APSound wrote:Sumrluvr, sounds like a nice boat, I hope to buy one someday.  
Let me know if you need help choosing. I have done my research on all "Ocean Racers" HAHAHAHA Laughing 

But seriously, I do know many people in the industry so I'd be happy to point you in the right direction to suit your needs when the time does come.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  APSound Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm

I will take you up on that when the day comes when I can afford something swimmers can see coming and wave so I see them. My boat now is too small.

APSound

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Donzel wrote:

BTW: just wanted to address this obvious jab at me for having moved to Sunny Florida.

I moved not because I can use my boat more and in the fashion it is built for (although that is a major PLUS!) I moved because I can't stand the cold. Anything under 70 for me is cold. Luckily for me, my wife and I have careers that allowed us to move anywhere. We had traveled to Florida over two dozen times in the last 10 years. We figured why are we working to vacation there? Why not work in Florida and Vacation to NH in the summer?. Seemed like a great decision for us.

Plus only having a 12 weekend boating season was crazy. So now I have the best of both worlds.

But thank you for making assumptions why my family moved. tongue
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  APSound Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Your boat does 150mph - 200 mph? I have to party with you cowboy!

APSound

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:32 pm

APSound wrote:Your boat does 150mph - 200 mph? I have to party with you cowboy!
Giddy up!!!!

LOL.. no actually I top out around 70. When I purchased it the boat had a procharger on it. Got up to 90mph on long island sound...!

Unfortunately I then blew a head gasket after only using here 11 engine hours! LOL.

Since I had a young family I thought it best to bring her back to stock for reliability. Now she is perfect!
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Donzel Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm

sumrluvr wrote:
Donzel wrote:

BTW: just wanted to address this obvious jab at me for having moved to Sunny Florida.

I moved not because I can use my boat more and in the fashion it is built for (although that is a major PLUS!)  I moved because I can't stand the cold. Anything under 70 for me is cold. Luckily for me, my wife and I have careers that allowed us to move anywhere. We had traveled to Florida over two dozen times in the last 10 years. We figured why are we working to vacation there? Why not work in Florida and Vacation to NH in the summer?. Seemed like a great decision for us.

Plus only having a 12 weekend boating season was crazy. So now I have the best of both worlds.

You said that one reason for moving was because NH has too many boating restrictions. I can post the comment if you would like.

Donzel

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Donzel wrote:
sumrluvr wrote:
Donzel wrote:

I moved not because I can use my boat more and in the fashion it is built for (although that is a major PLUS!)  I moved because I can't stand the cold. Anything under 70 for me is cold. Luckily for me, my wife and I have careers that allowed us to move anywhere. We had traveled to Florida over two dozen times in the last 10 years. We figured why are we working to vacation there? Why not work in Florida and Vacation to NH in the summer?. Seemed like a great decision for us.

You said that one reason for moving was because NH has too many boating restrictions. I can post the comment if you would like.
That's what I said to my "boating organization". Go figure discussing boating to boaters... Crazy concept.

I didn't realize I needed to explain my life choices to the public. Do I need to post travel receipts? (just bustin you. Very Happy )

It was a whole lot more than the stupid speed limit that isn't even enforced. It would be kind of crazy to move over something so little... Basically moving to Florida was a dream come true.

Also with my second business (planning Walt Disney World Vacations) it made a lot of sense to be close by.

Glad to see you are an SBONH supporter though!
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Donzel Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:41 pm

You gave "boating restrictions in NH" as one of your biggest reasons for leaving NH. Want to place a bet on it?

Donzel

Back to top Go down

Post  sumrluvr Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Donzel wrote: You gave "boating restrictions in NH" as one of your biggest reasons for leaving NH.  Want to place a bet on it?
I have the email that I sent out.. I know exactly what it says. Again, go figure I am sending out a boating related email to a boating organization discussing boating restrictions. I didn't feel it necessary to also list the multitude of reasons to my boating friends. I try to keep it short.

So I am not denying that it was a significant reason but not the only reason. I think I know what "I believe" the most. But thanks for playing. Cool 

I also sent a similar email to my republican friends about the tone of Concord and their recent elections. I said the results of the last Governors race was one of my biggest reasons for leaving as well. I didn't mention boating restrictions because it would have made no sense to the people I was writing to.

When my parents and neighbors asked I said the biggest reason was for my children. I wanted them to enjoy the outdoors more. Where I don't like to venture out when the temp is below 50 degrees I didn't want them to lose out on activities on my account. Again I did not mention to them: boating restrictions nor the NH elections for it wouldn't have made much sense to them and I didn't want to dive into all the details.

Let me know if there is an online disclaimer I can fill out on each of my emails and posts so that people understand that there may be more to a situation then a sentence that one may misinterpret or read into.

Well off to the pool.. (86 degrees no heater) Gotta love it.. Boating out the river up to Cabbage Key tomorrow then over to Sanibel Island.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. I will try to check in if I am not having too much fun.
sumrluvr
sumrluvr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next