Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor...

4 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 Empty Re: "Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor...

Post  obervantone Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:33 am

WHL wrote:
Re: "Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor...
Post WHL Today at 7:22 am

I was wondering if, from his vantage point, he heard the party. Do I have your permission to ask him that?
Perhaps it was the wording of your post that caught my eye...it appears to be ask It's-Not-News Hawk if it was quiet based upon whether or not HE heard something...almost like seeking permission to say you had a quiet weekend, which we all know that if anyone at all wanders into Winter Harbor is the end of days to our cranky friend from Florida.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 Empty Re: "Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor...

Post  WHL Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:30 pm

I am sorry if I confused you. I was asking him if he heard the wedding. I did not hear it but have a friend who did. The wind must not have been blowing NH's way.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 pm

You might have been able to hear a "surfer-boat" out in front of my place this afternoon. The only time the "music" got turned off was to converse with the surfer!  

Out of sight, I picked that one prize moment to give five long blasts from my boat horn. They got the message, and moved further down the harbor. I think I need one of those portable megaphones with the huge power supply you see at some city intersections. I'll read some passages from the Bible—loudly—in an effort to "convert" them from their inner-city Barbarity.

sunny
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:50 pm

Just curious It's-Not-News Hawk,
What does  
Out of sight, I picked that one prize moment to give five long blasts from my boat horn
signify?

Also, regarding your goal of:
I think I need one of those portable megaphones with the huge power supply you see at some city intersections. I'll read some passages from the Bible—loudly
You are of course aware that noise limitations extend beyond boat engines....right?

TITLE LXII
CRIMINAL CODE
CHAPTER 644
BREACHES OF THE PEACE AND RELATED OFFENSES
Section 644:2
III. He purposely causes a breach of the peace, public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creates a risk thereof, by:
       (a) Making loud or unreasonable noises in a public place, or making loud or unreasonable noises in a private place which can be heard in a public place or other private places, which noises would disturb a person of average sensibilities;
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 am

obervantone wrote:Just curious It's-Not-News Hawk,
What does  
Out of sight, I picked that one prize moment to give five long blasts from my boat horn
signify?

News Hawk wrote:
Since I was on land at the time, it signifies "I am aground".

Laughing

Also, regarding your goal of:
I think I need one of those portable megaphones with the huge power supply you see at some city intersections. I'll read some passages from the Bible—loudly
You are of course aware that noise limitations extend beyond boat engines....right?

TITLE LXII
CRIMINAL CODE
CHAPTER 644
BREACHES OF THE PEACE AND RELATED OFFENSES
Section 644:2
III. He purposely causes a breach of the peace, public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creates a risk thereof, by:
       (a) Making loud or unreasonable noises in a public place, or making loud or unreasonable noises in a private place which can be heard in a public place or other private places, which noises would disturb a person of average sensibilities;

News Hawk wrote:They're law-breaking scofflaws?

Shocked

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:40 am

obervantone wrote:
Just curious It's-Not-News Hawk,
What does  

signify?

News Hawk wrote:

Since I was on land at the time, it signifies "I am aground".

No, it means you issued a false distress signal, punishable by law.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Today, a gang of noisy boats blasted in, and sped towards the east. I didn't expect anything other than they would "do a loop" of Winter Harbor, and disappear. Later this afternoon, I saw that four of them had rafted together abutting the swimming area floats at Carry Beach. (Next to swimming children). Rafting is illegal (an imposition on peoples' lake views and rude), but there was no enforcement of that law.

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 Gedc0010

Evil or Very Mad

The day wouldn't be complete without fireworks celebrating September 12th. Some blasts shook the house! Very few [weekend] visitors celebrated September 11th, so they were all "pent up", and brought their biggest blasts. That "show" echoed for miles).

People have too much money if they can enjoy watching it go up in smoke!

No

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  red_hill Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:20 am

News Hawk wrote:Today, a gang of noisy boats blasted in, and sped towards the east. I didn't expect anything other than they would "do a loop" of Winter Harbor, and disappear. Later this afternoon, I saw that four of them had rafted together abutting the swimming area floats at Carry Beach. (Next to swimming children). Rafting is illegal (an imposition on peoples' lake views and rude), but there was no enforcement of that law.

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 Gedc0010

Evil or Very Mad

The day wouldn't be complete without fireworks celebrating September 12th. Some blasts shook the house! Very few [weekend] visitors celebrated September 11th, so they were all "pent up", and brought their biggest blasts. That "show" echoed for miles).

People have too much money if they can enjoy watching it go up in smoke!

No

Using your brilliant logic, people have too much money if they drive race cars around a course or track blowing money out the tailpipe

red_hill

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:40 am

Vita, you are on a roll today!! lol!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:16 am

red_hill wrote:
Using your brilliant logic, people have too much money if they drive race cars around a course or track blowing money out the tailpipe

I see no downside to improving one's driving skills.

As the instructor, I sit in the car-owner's passenger seat. It's their money well-spent—a lesson lost on the vast majority of performance boaters—who already "know it all".  

Money spent on fireworks—not so much.

drunken
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:36 am

Again, another false statement from It's-Not-News Hawk presented as fact:
It's-Not-News Hawk wrote:
I saw that four of them had rafted together abutting the swimming area floats at Carry Beach. (Next to swimming children). Rafting is illegal (an imposition on peoples' lake views and rude), but there was no enforcement of that law.
Let's review, shall we?
Rafting of Boats
Section 270:44
   270:44 Size of Rafts; Separation of Rafts and Single Boats. – Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, no person shall, in a prohibited location or at a prohibited time:    
I. Form or allow the boat which he is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft consisting of 3 or more boats;
    II. Form or allow the boat which he is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft if any part of such raft is:
       (a) Less than 50 feet from any other raft; or
       (b) Less than 50 feet from any occupied single boat which is stationary upon the waters of the same lake or pond.
    III. Anchor a single boat and cause it to remain stationary upon the waters of a lake or pond other than momentarily if any part of such boat is:
       (a) Less than 50 feet away from any raft; or
       (b) Less than 25 feet away from any other single boat which is stationary upon the waters of such lake or pond.  
Source. 1983, 314:2, eff. June 18, 1983.
Now let's take a look at Winter Harbor.  
As I read it, there is a single No Rafting Zone in Winter Harbor as listed by law, although it is not listed on the Bizer Chart.
SAF-C 407.03 - Rafting as defined in RSA 2760:42 V shall be prohibited in the following areas of Lake Winnipesaukee unless covered by one of the exceptions specified in RSA 270:45:  
(7) Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the Tuftonboro tax map 63, lot No. 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 51, lot No. 20.
If you care to take a look at the location as described, you will find it is on Tuftonboro Neck near Flasher #15....nowhere near Carry Beach.

Once again he posts an inaccuracy without checking his facts.

It's-Not-News-Hawk's statement as fact... "Rafting is illegal"...is false and since the current law has been on the books for 32 years it is about time he got it straight! 

Rafting is only illegal on New Hampshire waterways in No Rafting Zones otherwise there is no limit on the number boats that can raft together.  
Rafting is lawfully allowed anywhere outside of a No Rafting Zone.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you for setting me straight. Smile I erred. Embarassed

Winter Harbor may eventually see two more NRZs—one at Johnson's Cove, and another at Carry Beach.

One Johnson's Cove owner as already put out signs (which are ignored), and a float (which is used by boaters anchored nearby). It's just a matter of time before such rudeness gets its day in the legislature.

Twisted Evil

Is there anyone here who would say that putting a bunch of strangers' backsides in someone's face isn't rude?

scratch

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Mooring has just become very popular in recent years. Years ago you never saw this.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:48 pm

WHL wrote:Mooring has just become very popular in recent years.  Years ago you never saw this.

I think you mean "anchoring".

scratch

Mooring is what shorefront owners do when people anchor in front of their homes. They put out their aluminum rowboats with long mooring lines. An "Anchorer" doesn't want any boat with metal corners drifting about in the wind near their boat.

bom

Years ago, you never saw boat-lifts on Winnipesaukee. Oversized boat wakes have forced shorefront owners' boats "up" out of the water. This time of year, oversized-boat wakes have caused shorefront owners' docked boats to hit the bottom!

Shocked
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:13 am

Whatever. I didn't know there was a difference.

Yes, boat lifts are also new and you see more and more all the time.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 Empty Odd

Post  obervantone Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 am

It's-Not-News-Hawk:
Years ago, you never saw boat-lifts on Winnipesaukee. Oversized boat wakes have forced shorefront owners' boats "up" out of the water. This time of year, oversized-boat wakes have caused shorefront owners' docked boats to hit the bottom!
WHL
Interesting. I have a friend with a place in a No Wake Zone that uses a boat lift and has for decades. All this time they thought they were keeping the hull clean, won't they be surprised when I tell them that it is to protect their boats from "oversized boat wakes" in the No Wake Zone. Learn something "not-news" every day.

BTW
mooring
(ˈmʊərɪŋ; ˈmɔː-)
n
(Nautical Terms) a permanent anchor, dropped in the water and equipped with a floating buoy, to which vessels can moor
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:14 pm

That definition is for a noun. A thing.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:15 pm

WHL
That definition is for a noun. A thing.
And that is what a "mooring" is, a thing.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 am

obervantone wrote:
It's-Not-News-Hawk:
WHL
Interesting.  I have a friend with a place in a No Wake Zone that uses a boat lift and has for decades.  All this time they thought they were keeping the hull clean, won't they be surprised when I tell them that it is to protect their boats from "oversized boat wakes" in the No Wake Zone.   Learn something "not-news" every day.

Nope. Your friend will never experience a "low-water" condition, in which wakes would damage his boat's bottom.

Rolling Eyes

Lifts have been available oceanside for decades, but new ones are hydraulic, and some of those charge their batteries from solar cell inputs.  Some are placed in front of McMansions, and are ugly to behold.

(But look how clean its hull is!)

sunny

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 P8200010

obervantone wrote:BTW
mooring
(ˈmʊərɪŋ; ˈmɔː-)
n
(Nautical Terms) a permanent anchor, dropped in the water and equipped with a floating buoy, to which vessels can moor

I'll be mooring (v.) my boat at my mooring (n.).

drunken

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:09 am

It's-Not-News-Hawk:
No, you will moor (v) your boat on your mooring (n).

My friends have had their place in the No Wake Zone for decades, as I stated, and have never had the hull of any of their boats damaged, even the ones tied to the dock in low water!   Shocking I know because it flies in the face of everything that you have been saying for years.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:10 pm

obervantone wrote:
It's-Not-News-Hawk:
No, you will moor (v) your boat on your mooring (n).

My friends have had their place in the No Wake Zone for decades, as I stated, and have never had the hull of any of their boats damaged, even the ones tied to the dock in low water!   Shocking I know because it flies in the face of everything that you have been saying for years.

Example (e.g.): Tomorrow, I'll have to stop mooring (v) my boat at my NHMP permitted mooring (n): in my absence, the recovery buoy has been snapped off by an oversized Ocean-Racer.

This is what I wrote:

Nope. Your friend will never experience a "low-water" condition, in which wakes would damage his boat's bottom.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but a bigger boat could make all the difference. Worse, my own boat struck BP rocky bottom on the western shoreline. The cause? An over-sized Fountain going through BP at about 50-MPH

Striking the bottom happens at private docks in The Barber's Pole area, where a NWZ petition "went the route".

Are you saying it'll never happen—ever?

drunken

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  obervantone Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:55 pm

It's-Not-News-Hawk:
my own boat struck BP rocky bottom on the western shoreline. The cause? An over-sized Fountain going through BP at about 50-MPH
The wake created by a 50MPH boat...gee, wasn't that boat on plane?  
Yes?  
So the boat was making more of a wake at the I-N-N-H exaggerated 50MPH than if it had been doing 15MPH?
No, it was not.
Watch;  First, Not on plane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiMaXXjNWA
VS a boat on plane
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+fountain+boat+on+plane&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=15921AE9A421FDDF041815921AE9A421FDDF0418

Blaming another for your own poor seamanship...typical!
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:41 am

obervantone wrote:Blaming another for your own poor seamanship...typical!
​​•​ ​I was virtually motionless, and well off the center of the BP channel!

​​•​ ​Unless that bass boat (not on plane) intended to overturn smaller craft, he would benefit from proper outboard trim. (It's too high).
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

"Visitor" Invades Quiet Winter Harbor... - Page 4 Empty ...and now, the rest of the story...

Post  obervantone Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:23 am

Your story is changing again.

Initially you wrote:
It's-Not-News-Hawk:
my own boat struck BP rocky bottom on the western shoreline. The cause? An over-sized Fountain going through BP at about 50-MPH

Now the story is beginning to evolve.
It's-Not-News-Hawk wrote:
​​•​ ​I was virtually motionless, and well off the center of the BP channel!
So which is it?  
You were either terrified by a powerboat going past you on plane while you were "well off the center of the BP channel!" and you ran your boat aground,
Or...
You were "virtually motionless" in the BP and allowed your boat to drift into the shallows and hit rocks rather than fire up your auxiliary engine and move back into open water.  

Which is it?

My follow up question, given your inconsistency and propensity for exaggeration and your inclination to blame others for your admitted poor seamanship skills, if the powerboat frightened you to the point that it forced you into the shallows where you went aground and struck rocks, did you pick up your radio or cellphone and report the offender to the Marine Patrol?

I think we all know the answer to that question.
obervantone
obervantone

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:34 pm

What a perfect day on the lake! We had a chance to have a short ride today and it was unbelievable for Sept!!
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next