Wolfeboro/Gilford
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro

+4
WHL
News Hawk
News Buzzard
Amy B
8 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro Empty This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro

Post  Amy B Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 am

I suspect he will resign within weeks. This is a disgrace. The editorial in the Granite State News accompanying this letter is apt..see below:
Letters to the editor

Use of the “N” word in public is unacceptable

To the Editor:
Early March, my hus-
band and I were enjoying a meal at Nolan’s in Wolfe- boro. We were seated very close to the bar, where we witnessed a man eating and drinking alcohol. I found out later he was Police Commission Vice Chairman, Robert Cope- land. A man conversing with Mr. Copeland asked if he watched the TV show Chronicle. Mr. Copeland responded loudly, “No, I don’t watch TV because every time I turn it on all I ever see is that F*****g Nigger!” As I left, passing Mr. Copeland I whispered, “Is someone here tossing around the “N” word?” Mr. Copeland swung around and responded with an ex- uberant, “Yeah!”
Absolutely incensed, I sent a complaint to the Town Manager, who then shared it with the Board of Selectman and the Police Commissioners. The Board of Selectman responded promptly. They said al- though they found the lan- guage Mr. Copeland used to express his views “repre- hensible,” they “regretted” not being of assistance, as the Police Commission is a separate board not under their jurisdiction.
I prompted Police Com- mission Chairman, Joseph Balboni, Jr., to respond and surprisingly he did so by having Mr. Copeland email me directly. Embedded in this email was the response Mr. Copeland wrote to the Commission – which he stated had been “accepted” by them. Here are some of the more disturbing ex- cerpts from his response to them:
“While I believe the problems associated with minorities in this country are momentous, I am not phobic. My use of deroga- tory slang in reference to those among them unde- serving of respect is no se- cret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amendment rights.” He continues, “I believe I did use the “N” word in reference to the current oc- cupant of the Whitehouse. For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”
Absurdly, although he openly admits racial intol- erance and use of the “N”
word, Mr. Copeland re- sponded that the statement about TV and Chronicle was fabricated by me; he countered that he watched and enjoyed both regularly. My response to that is that nothing I said was fabri- cated; perhaps he does not remember. I heard what I heard.
Of course, Mr. Copeland is within his 1st Amend- ment rights to spout off anything he pleases. But would you have voted for him, if you knew he har- bored these views? I also ask sadly, how can this behavior and response be “accepted” by the other two members of the Police Commission? Does this public statement of opin- ion, openly admitting ra- cial intolerance, not put the Town at risk for discrimi- nation lawsuits? If you are a person of color or other minority – what is your re- action to this?
I am new to Wolfeboro. I have no vendetta. I love this town and have met out- standing, inspiring people here. I have faith a majori- ty of you find racial intol- erance and unabashed use of the “N” word abhorrent – especially from a Police Commissioner.
Jane O’Toole
Wolfeboro
[Editor’s Note: In the in-
terest of fairness to Mr. Co- peland, we quote verbatim the email response sent to Jane O’Toole that she refer to]:
Ms. O’Toole:
Police Commission Chairman Balboni has asked me to respond for the Commission to your most recent complaint corre- spondence received by him and Commissioner Good- game this date.
When I first learned of your complaint I addressed an E-Mail to Police Com- mission Members Bal- boni and Goodgame. That E-Mail was accepted. It read as follows:
“Gents:
“As you know, I became aware of the subject com- plaint last evening when Commissioner Goodgame’s correspondence acknowl- edging subject complaint arrived by E-Mail. While I believe the problems asso- ciated with minorities in this country are momen-
tous, I am not phobic. My use of derogatory slang in reference to those among them undeserving of re- spect is no secret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amend- ment rights.
“The complainant quotes me as saying I do not watch television or the Chronicle program. Noth- ing could be further from the truth. I watch a good deal of television and reg- ularly enjoy Chronicle. The quotation is deliberately false or imagined. I believe I did use the ‘N’ word in reference to the current oc- cupant of the Whitehouse. For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.
“Finally: I visited No- lan’s for the purpose of enjoying cocktails and din- ner, as I believe is consis- tent with its mission. The complaintant, who asserts a similar purpose, is, I feel sure, not qualified to judge me or my sobriety and frankly would be better served to tend to business closer to home. Listening to others thoughts belittles the listener.
“The complaint did not include me for a copy as good etiquette would de- mand and accordingly I have observed the same standard. I am not inclined to offer lessons in manners at this time. Please feel free to forward my thoughts to the complainant and of course to Town Manager, Dave Owen.
“Regards,
“Bob Copeland “Commissioner”
Ms. O’Toole, the Police Commission will welcome your appearance before it at its May 2014 meeting if you wish to appear – I will reserve a spot on the meet- ing agenda for you. Your appearance would follow the regular business por- tion of the meeting. Please let me know if you wish to appear and please advise how much time you will require for your presenta- tion. If you would like to visit with me in advance of the May Commission meet- ing I would be pleased to schedule a time convenient to your schedule.
R.M. Copeland, Esq. Member,Wolfeboro Police Commission

Last edited by Amy B on Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro Empty Re: This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro

Post  Amy B Thu May 08, 2014 11:07 am

Here is the editorial in the Granite State News:

On being a public official
This week we publish a letter from Wolfeboro resident Jane O’Toole criticizing remarks made by Police Commissioner Bob Copeland
in a public restaurant in March.
While the subject is an unpleasant one, Ms.
O’Toole has a point that should be heard. We also felt Mr. Copeland deserved to have his response heard, so we also publish the e-mail he sent to O’Toole that includes what he wrote to his fellow commissioners.
Mr. Copeland is absolutely correct that he is with- in his First Amendment rights to hold any views he wishes and to express them, no matter how they are stated and whether they are offense to those who may be listening. The intention of the First Amend- ment was to encourage open debate and make sure that all points of view on an issue are heard and not suppressed.
However, Mr. Copeland is also a public official and as such is also a community leader, someone we look to for leadership and to set an example for the rest of us to follow. It is that aspect of this incident which is at the heart of Ms. O’Toole’s complaint and which should concern the rest of us.
The other aspect of the free speech protected by the First Amendment is that the speech be prudent and responsible. Not only do we not want or should we allow incitement to riot, we also need to insist on public speech that is measured and respectful of both its subject and listeners.
It is reasonable to assume that Ms. O’Toole was not the only one who heard Mr. Copeland’s remarks at the restaurant. It is also likely she was not the only one who found them offensive. However, she was offended and, upon learning Mr. Copeland was a public official, complained about his public be- havior, not only to the police commission but to the Wolfeboro Board of Selectmen as well.
Ms. O’Toole provided us with a copy of a letter from Town Manager Dave Owen, responding to her complaint and disclosing that the board discussed it in non-public session at its April 9 meeting. “While the Board believes the language Mr. Copeland used to express his views is reprehensible,” Owen wrote, “the Board finds that it has no ability to act in this matter, as the Police Commissioners are a separate- ly elected board which does not fall under the ju- risdiction of the Board of Selectmen...Whether you wish to pursue your complaint by taking it public by attending a meeting of the Police Commission- ers or writing a letter to the editor is entirely up to you.”
As we have made clear in many editorials, we hold those who run for and hold public office in high esteem and feel we should all be grateful for their willingness to serve the rest of us in the pro- cess of self-government. Being a public official also brings with it the obligation to set an example of circumspect public behavior, whether it be openly avoiding any appearance of a conflict of interest, treating fellow citizens with respect, or choosing one’s words carefully.
Those we elect set the tone of our democracy. We should insist that the tone set is serious, measured, considerate and, we hope, confidence-inspiring.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Mr Copeland shouldn't be on the Police Commission. Our police officers do a great job and they don't need this !
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Mon May 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Do I understand that Mr. Copeland is a lawyer? One usually expects that lawyers are a bit more circumspect with their language. And it seems he would have been better off by promptly apologizing and not blaming Ms. O'Toole re "listening to other people's conversations demeans the listener". He seems to be digging himself in deeper and deeper. It will be interesting to see the response in the letters to the editor section in this week's GSN.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Tue May 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Amy B wrote:
Use of the “N” word in public is unacceptable

To the Editor:
Early March, my husband and I were enjoying a meal at Nolan’s in Wolfe- boro. We were seated very close to the bar, where we witnessed a man eating and drinking alcohol. I found out later he was Police Commission Vice Chairman, Robert Cope- land. A man conversing with Mr. Copeland asked if he watched the TV show Chronicle. Mr. Copeland responded loudly, “No, I don’t watch TV because every time I turn it on all I ever see is that F*****g Nigger!”

As I left, passing Mr. Copeland I whispered, “Is someone here tossing around the “N” word?” Mr. Copeland swung around and responded with an ex- uberant, “Yeah!”

1) I don't watch TV, and don't know who the subject actually is.

scratch

2) But I think it peculiar that the underlined—unspeakable—word was written out for public consumption.

(Instead of "edited-out").

Suspect
News Hawk
News Hawk

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/f2

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 am

Wow...10 letters critical of Robert Copeland in today's Granite Sate News, another editorial, and the story made the Concord Monitor and Union Leader as well.

Wolfeboro police commissioner under scrutiny for racist comments about Obama

By SARAH PALERMO
Monitor staff
Thursday, May 15, 2014
(Published in print: Thursday, May 15, 2014)
Email
Print
Comments (0)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on gmail More Sharing Services
A racist remark aimed at President Obama and reportedly made by an elected police official in Wolfeboro has residents calling for the official to step down.

The incident, allegedly involving police Commissioner Robert Copeland, happened in a local restaurant in early March, Jane O’Toole of Wolfeboro said. But only in recent days has it become an issue that’s drawing wider interest.

O’Toole said she plans to attend the Wolfeboro Police Commission meeting tonight and to call for Copeland to resign. She and others are also prepared to request a recall if he refuses to step down. Sixteen other people have committed – through a Facebook page organized around the meeting – to attend.

Copeland and another commissioner, Ron Goodgame, did not return calls seeking comment last night. But commission Chairman Joseph Balboni said he has no plans to ask Copeland to resign.

“I think it’s crazy. Bob is a very nice person, and he’s been very generous to the town of Wolfeboro,” Balboni said.

“He’s worked with a lot of blacks in his life. . . . He said some harsh words about Mr. Obama, and here we are. This woman, she’s blowing it all out of proportion.”

Balboni said he does plan to allow attendees at the meeting to speak their minds, unless the meeting becomes repetitive.

O’Toole said she had no intention of becoming involved in local politics when she moved to Wolfeboro in November.

“I vote, I’ve always voted, but I have no desire to run for any kind of office or get involved in politics,” O’Toole said yesterday. “I just happened to be at a restaurant at the wrong time.”

She said the incident happened at Nolan’s Brick Oven Bistro. It was March 6 – O’Toole said she remembers because it was the same day she had an appointment at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, marking eight years as cancer-free.

While she was finishing up a celebratory dinner, a man sitting nearby at the bar said loudly that he hates watching television, because every time he turns it on, he sees “that f------ n-----.”

As she left the room, she asked him whether he was “throwing the n-word around,” O’Toole said. “He sort of swung around and puffed up his chest and said, ‘Yeah,’ and . . . I said, ‘Not good, not good at all.’ ”

She didn’t plan to do anything else about it. She didn’t know who he was until the next day when she went back to the restaurant. That’s when the staff told her his name and position in town. She later watched videos of the police commission’s meeting to see whether he was indeed the same man.

She said she didn’t know what to do, and so she didn’t do anything – for a while. When town elections rolled around the next week, she didn’t vote for him, though he ran unopposed and won a second term.

“At that point, it really started to bother me that this was an elected official, making these loud racist statements. But I talked to a few people in town and they said, ‘Just leave it, what good is it going to do?’ But talking to more people I knew, I got the impression this wasn’t the type of town that was going to be like that. It was going to be more supportive of me. No one sounded surprised,” O’Toole said.

So she wrote a letter of complaint to the town manager. He wrote back and said the town doesn’t oversee the commission, and said she would have to take her complaint there.

She wrote to Balboni and Goodgame. And when Copeland responded instead, she took the whole thing to the local weekly paper.

The Granite State News published a version of her letter to the town, and a response reportedly written by Copeland.

“While I believe the problems associated with minorities in this country are momentous, I am not phobic. My use of derogatory slang in reference to those among them undeserving of respect is no secret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amendment rights,” it read. “I believe I did use the ‘N’ word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse (sic). For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”

While the board of selectmen can’t take action against a member of the police commission, Chairwoman Linda Murray said she will be at the meeting tonight.

“The laws give certain authority to the police commission, and I don’t want to step over those bounds. But I think the letter the board wrote says they don’t condone, they don’t want to hear that kind of language in any public official,” Murray said last night. “I feel Mrs. O’Toole did what was appropriate. She informed the public. There are people in the public who are coming out dismayed by the kind of language and disrespect for the president of the United States, and they are going to stand up.”

One of them is Brian Murphy, a former Concord police officer and retired head of security for St. Paul’s School.

He first heard about Copeland’s remarks on Facebook, and he has been trying to create momentum behind calls for the commissioner to resign.

“I don’t believe he has any place in town positions. I don’t think he represents the town, and he certainly doesn’t represent the town well. I hope he resigns, but I don’t have high hopes considering what he’s done so far, so I would like to pursue a recall if he doesn’t,” Murphy said.

Copeland’s comments about minorities are “out of order,” Murphy said. “Who knows what his thinking is on minorities in general? I don’t know if he dislikes Italians? Or Irishmen? Or if he just feels this way about blacks? It doesn’t seem that he’s a fair-minded person, but he’s on a commission making judgments, and I would think his thinking like this could influence those judgments.”

The duties of a police commission under New Hampshire law include hiring, firing and disciplining personnel, and setting their salaries.

O’Toole said she still has no plans to get more involved in town politics and is nervous about tonight’s meeting. She is bolstered, she said, by a positive response from people she doesn’t know.

“I do believe maybe some good will come out of it,” she said. “Maybe it will encourage people to speak up, to not just giggle if someone uses these terms, not shy away, but say it’s unacceptable. It’s not easy, but it’s important.”

Home » News » Politics

May 14. 2014 11:10PM
Wolfeboro official: No apology for using slur to describe Obama
ShareThis
By LARISSA MULKERN
Special to the Union Leader

WOLFEBORO — A member of the town’s three-person police commission has acknowledged using the N-word to refer to President Obama, and he said he won’t apologize for doing so.

Commissioner Bob Copeland, an 82-year-old retired lawyer, said he’s not racist and doesn’t hate anybody. But in an online posting, Copeland wrote Obama “meets and exceeds my criteria for” using the slur, which is often referred to by just the first letter -- n -- of the six letter word.

“I’m not phobic. I do not hate or dislike anybody. I have a level of respect I expect of people in public office, which applies to me, and this man in the White House does not measure up. When that occurs, I do upon occasion use slang expressions to refer to them,” Copeland said in an interview Wednesday.

The remarks will be discussed Thursday, when the Wolfeboro Police Commission holds its regular meeting at the Wolfeboro Public Library at 4 p.m.

Commission Chairman Joseph Balboni Jr. said he expects at least 60 people to be on hand.

“This has been blown way out of proportion,” he said.

Copeland’s remarks came to light when town resident Jane O’Toole summarized them in a Facebook post and a letter in a local weekly newspaper.

She said she overheard a man she later learned was Copeland use the word at Nolan’s Restaurant in March.

Copeland referred to Obama as “that f------ n-----.”

In an article, O’Toole acknowledges that Copeland is “within his 1st Amendment rights to spout off anything he pleases.” But she wonders if readers would have voted for him if they knew what views he harbored.

“I also ask sadly, how can this behavior and response be ‘accepted’ by the other two members of the Police Commission? Does this public statement of opinion, openly admitting racial intolerance, not put the town at risk for discrimination lawsuits?” O’Toole wrote.

Copies of the letter to the editor, and Copeland’s response, were also posted on a Lakes Region online public forum.

In a written response to O’Toole’s letter, Copeland states he did use the N-word “in reference to the current occupant of the White House.”

“For this I do not apologize — he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”

In a phone interview on Wednesday, Copeland said he will attend today’s meeting.

Copeland said he worked with black people for many years, including with the U.S. Navy as a deck officer and in the Special Forces and at Ford Motor Co. in Detroit. He said he also worked in New Jersey on a factory loading platform.

“All the other workers were black, except for me ... I had nothing against these people,” he said.

Commission Chairman Balboni said he conferred with town counsel Mark Puffer about the situation. “We can’t fire him,” Balboni said. “The guy went out to dinner, and used the word against Obama, and this lady picked up on it. It is what it is,” he said.

Copeland was reelected to the commission this year when he ran unopposed for a three-year term and received 1,397 votes on the town ballot on March 11.

Copeland said he ran so that he could support the Police Department.

“The police need support — not everybody looks upon the police department in a positive light,” he said.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  mom of 4 Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 am

I feel ppl are making to much of this If he did say this who cares? he was at the bar drinking and who has never said anything they wish they didn't while drinking ?

mom of 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Are you a guest prankster? If not you probably do not set a very good example for your 4 children. Lots of people including myself are able to have a drink or two without spewing obscene and racist comments. Apparently you would condone such behavior from your kids? The 10 people writing letters to the Granite State News might be inclined to disagree with you as well. Funny no one wrote defending Mr. Copeland's words. Are you a relative of Mr. Copeland?

The AP is in on the story and there are articles in Houston and D.C. papers. Wolfeboro is on the national stage now. I have little doubt that the right thing will happen and Mr. Copeland will no longer be a police commissioner in very short order.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Fri May 16, 2014 12:34 pm

I see that Jane O'Toole has been a Wolfeboro resident for four months.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-hampshire-towns-white-police-chief-calls-obama-n-word/

...and is already ramping-up politics...

(Like she never heard the word).

Rolling Eyes 

Last edited by News Hawk on Fri May 16, 2014 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 pm

That's not the point. We've all heard the word before. This kind of hate rhetoric hurts us all and does nothing to promote healing, cooperation, and a more harmonious society. I'm glad he was called out on his mean spirited and ignorant comments and Ms. O"Toole should be congratulated on her courage to do so. As can be gleaned from the reaction to her presence at the meeting yesterday she is seen as a welcome addition to our community. I do not see this as ramping up politics at all. I see it as having the guts to stand up for what is right and just.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Fri May 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Amy B wrote:That's not the point. We've all heard the word before. This kind of hate rhetoric hurts us all and does nothing to promote healing, cooperation, and a more harmonious society. I'm glad he was called out on his mean spirited and ignorant comments and Ms. O"Toole should be congratulated on her courage to do so. As can be gleaned from the reaction to her presence at the meeting yesterday she is seen as a welcome addition to our community. I do not see this as ramping up politics at all. I see it as having the guts to stand up for what is right and just.

I agree, and as we see this story get legs with the national media it can lead to some collateral damage for our town. First off the media keeps pointing out that we are an overwhelmingly white town, and I see the subliminal message having racial overtones. Nothing could be further from the truth. President Obama had a pretty good showing in this area and he took New Hampshire by 5 points in 2012. Secondly, our very fine police department is getting a bad rap because of Mr Copeland. That's why he should either resign or be removed.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro Empty Again...?

Post  News Hawk Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm

If Wolfeboro ever got a black eye, it was from the last Police Commissioner—a Felon!

I know of comments spoken in front of Wolfeboro officials who should have removed him immediately before he embarked on his mission to transport a load of illegal drugs.

In fact, today's situation has been escalated by the "Drive-By-Media".

If you had clicked on the site I'd provided as a source, you'd see that Mr. Copeland had been elevated to the Chief of Wolfeboro Police by the Media.

No 

News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Fri May 16, 2014 2:59 pm

I didn't know she had only been a resident for four months.  Where did she come from?

I saw quite a few people and tv cameras by the police station today when I went by.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Fri May 16, 2014 3:39 pm

The notion that this thing is being extended by the Drive-By-Media or "Obama cheerleaders" is preposterous. (I might point out that Obama did pretty well in Wolfeboro last election.) There were over 100 people in the library room last night (not me) and I seriously doubt they were all Democrats. If Copeland doesn't quit we're going to see all kinds of negative press up here, and that's not good for business. Copeland said what he said and then he doubled down by sticking his other foot in his mouth. You can't say things like that these days, just look at the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers who got banned from the NBA for saying a lot less. It's time for Bob to retire !
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy B Fri May 16, 2014 5:09 pm

As far as collateral damage to the town this is my take. There are 10 letters to the editor in the Granite State News condemning Mr. Copeland. The outpouring of support yesterday for Mrs. O'Toole and against this kind of racist trash talk was overwhelming. It had a lot of media courage. One person was shown carrying a sign reading "shame on you". When Mr. Copeland resigns or is removed it will again show a community coming together to do the right thing. The media coverage has put emphasis on a community showing it's unity and outrage. I see this as a positive for the town and a learning experience for some.
Amy B
Amy B

Back to top Go down

Post  News Hawk Fri May 16, 2014 7:00 pm

For what it's worth:

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro 53757f8ab061a.preview-620
News Hawk
News Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Fri May 16, 2014 7:22 pm

News Hawk wrote:I see that Jane O'Toole has been a Wolfeboro resident for four months.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-hampshire-towns-white-police-chief-calls-obama-n-word/

...and is already ramping-up politics...

(Like she never heard the word).

Rolling Eyes 

Let me guess?

Mass?

Or New Jersey?
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Fri May 16, 2014 7:24 pm

News Buzzard wrote:I agree, and as we see this story get legs with the national media it can lead to some collateral damage for our town. First off the media keeps pointing out that we are an overwhelmingly white town, and I see the subliminal message having racial overtones. Nothing could be further from the truth. President Obama had a pretty good showing in this area and he took New Hampshire by 5 points in 2012. Secondly, our very fine police department is getting a bad rap because of Mr Copeland. That's why he should either resign or be removed.

That does not matter.

You are too white.

Now, shut up and self flagellate.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm

News Hawk wrote:
2) But I think it peculiar that the underlined—unspeakable—word was written out for public consumption.

(Instead of "edited-out").

Suspect

Get with the times Comrade.

The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of IngSoc, but to make all other modes of thought impossible. Its vocabulary was so constructed as to give exact and often very subtle expression to every meaning that a Party member could properly wish to express, while excluding all other meaning and also the possibility of arriving at them by indirect methods. This was done partly by the invention of new words, but chiefly by eliminating undesirable words and stripping such words as remained of unorthodox meanings, and so far as possible of all secondary meaning whatever.
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Fri May 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I'll have to admit I'm torn over this.

On the one hand it is ridiculous that the private conversations of one man at a bar in a restaurant can be enough to blow up into a national news story just because he uttered the word "nigger".

On the other hand, I recall being at commissioner's meeting a few years back, speaking out against the adoption of the Circular Force Continuum by Wolfeboro cops, and listening to, I'm pretty sure it was this fellow, make remarks to effect that the cops have every right to bust your head if you do not immediately comply with whatever they say.

So let him squirm...
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  WHL Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am

I am torn over it too, Anti.  I don't know the man.  I don't know what he thinks.  But I do think we SHOULD all have the right to think and say what we want to in this country.  I guess SHOULD is the key word given all the cases of this in the last few years.
WHL
WHL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Sat May 17, 2014 8:33 am

Anti Federalist wrote:
News Buzzard wrote:I agree, and as we see this story get legs with the national media it can lead to some collateral damage for our town. First off the media keeps pointing out that we are an overwhelmingly white town, and I see the subliminal message having racial overtones. Nothing could be further from the truth. President Obama had a pretty good showing in this area and he took New Hampshire by 5 points in 2012. Secondly, our very fine police department is getting a bad rap because of Mr Copeland. That's why he should either resign or be removed.

That does not matter

So where are you, at the 5 man march in DC ?        Rolling Eyes
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Sat May 17, 2014 2:07 pm

News Buzzard wrote:
Anti Federalist wrote:

That does not matter

So where are you, at the 5 man march in DC ?        Rolling Eyes

I'm not following you... scratch

ETA - OK, now I know what you are talking about.

Nope, never even heard of that until the other day. Silly. An event like an "Arab Spring" is not planned.

But I was here in DC in 2008:

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro 130308_rp_crowds

And here in NYC in 2004:

This reflects poorly on Wolfeboro Rnc_nyc-106224_b7

Last edited by Anti Federalist on Sat May 17, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  News Buzzard Sat May 17, 2014 2:36 pm

With nasty calls to the police department and threats of boycotts to our businesses what will it take to convince Bob Copeland to retire?

http://www.wmur.com/news/boycotts-threatened-after-police-commissioner-makes-racist-comments/26028142

If he doesn't quit I think it's time to re-visit the idea of abolishing the Police Commission at next year's town vote.
News Buzzard
News Buzzard

Back to top Go down

Post  Anti Federalist Sat May 17, 2014 2:41 pm

News Buzzard wrote:If he doesn't quit I think it's time to re-visit the idea of abolishing the Police Commission at next year's town vote.

I'm pretty sure you can't, that it is required under NH law.

Horrible idea regardless, not that it is perfect, but the last thing I want is to have no citizen oversight over the cops.

Anti Federalist
Anti Federalist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next